Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The platforms and cages on my commuter are on their last legs, and I want to put on an spd that will enable me to both clip in and go to the grocery store. Shimano seems to make some mountain bike pedals that clip in on both sides and have a platform. Anyone have any experience with these?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Wrong choice

hrumpole said:
The platforms and cages on my commuter are on their last legs, and I want to put on an spd that will enable me to both clip in and go to the grocery store. Shimano seems to make some mountain bike pedals that clip in on both sides and have a platform. Anyone have any experience with these?
Don't get the ones that clip on both sides; get the multi-purpose ones, with spd on one side and a plain cage (platform) on the other. M324. Both Nashbar and Performance make cheaper knockoffs. I use the very cheap Nashbar ones ("Rodeo") on my rain commuter/errand bike, and they work fine. I think the Performance ones ("Campus") are a little better quality, and are fully compatible with Shimano cleats.

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
The retention system makes a little lump in the middle of the pedal, so it's not quite flat when you stand on them in regular shoes. You can decide how much that bothers you, I guess.

·
oh lonesome road for you
1,699 Posts
I ride up to about 2 miles one way without changing shoes on spds, eggbeaters, and candies (eggbeaters with a very small platform). Some people would never even think of doing so. But how far do you want to ride without changing shoes?

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I have Crank Bros Acids on my MTB. The clip in from both sides and have a platform. I'm comfortable on them w / street shoes for short distances.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help. Commute is 12 miles RT (approx) the short way, so little things get annoying by the evening. One-sided seems to be the way to go. Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I have these on my commuter. I've ridden 2 miles in tennis shoes on them and the lump under the ball of my foot from the cleat contraption was down right painful by the time I got where I was going. Don't recommend it. My solution was to buy a more casual clip in shoe.

Pedals:

Shoes:
http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=103&product_id=1239771

I considered the "clip in on one side, regular pedal on the other" pedals but from what I read most people who tried them said they weren't great at either. You always had to spin the pedal around while trying to get the side you wanted.

·
Banned
203 Posts
Performance

I have a set of the Forte Campus pedals. They are inexpensive and very functional. I also have a set of Shimano M520 dual sided pedals. They are good pedals too but as said above you cannot ride them without your clip in shoes.

·
oh lonesome road for you
1,699 Posts
And they wear out quickly, since the engagement to the pedal is plastic. really they are just meant for test rides on a bike that comes with spds.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have a pair of the wellgo platform/spds and I have to say there is nothing nicer than the feeling of pedaling to the store in your flip flops.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts