Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Pedal w/Largest Platform?

9K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  lawrence 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a NEW set of pedals and would like to find the one with the largest platform. It seems that all the major brands, SP, Look, Time, Shimano, give specs on stack height, clearance, etc. but none give actually platform dimensions.

From just eyeing them up it looks like the NEW Shimano 08' PD-7810 has the largest platform on the market?

Let me know what you think....

#4 ·
mseanschmidt said:
I'm looking for a NEW set of pedals and would like to find the one with the largest platform. It seems that all the major brands, SP, Look, Time, Shimano, give specs on stack height, clearance, etc. but none give actually platform dimensions.

From just eyeing them up it looks like the NEW Shimano 08' PD-7810 has the largest platform on the market?

Why? What are you trying to accomplish? If you want to be able to ride in street shoes you might look at something like the Time ATAC, MTB pedals.

#5 ·
Sorry if my post doesn't make sense.

I'm talking about road bike clip-in (w/cleats) pedals. Unfortunately, Speedplay (Zeros), Shimano PD7810, Look Keo, Campy, Time....... do not give there "real" platform dimensions .

I was just trying to find out which pedal/cleat combination offers the largest platform?

#6 ·
mseanschmidt said:
Sorry if my post doesn't make sense.

I'm talking about road bike clip-in (w/cleats) pedals. Unfortunately, Speedplay (Zeros), Shimano PD7810, Look Keo, Campy, Time....... do not give there "real" platform dimensions .

I was just trying to find out which pedal/cleat combination offers the largest platform?
it's not all that cut and dried. Speedplay cleats ARE the platform...they are huge cleats compared to the others you mention despite the pedals themselves being really small.

#8 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
it's not all that cut and dried. Speedplay cleats ARE the platform...they are huge cleats compared to the others you mention despite the pedals themselves being really small.
To further enforce what BJII is saying, the platform you experience is further influenced by the stiffness and quality of the your shoe. I have a set of Lake touring shoes that are designed with the idea that you might get off and walk some and pair of Specz. carbon soled road shoes that are designed with the idea that you are on the bike...period. The platform I experience in each is very different despite it being the same bike (and pedal).

Scot

#9 ·
Scot_Gore said:
To further enforce what BJII is saying, the platform you experience is further influenced by the stiffness and quality of the your shoe. I have a set of Lake touring shoes that are designed with the idea that you might get off and walk some and pair of Specz. carbon soled road shoes that are designed with the idea that you are on the bike...period. The platform I experience in each is very different despite it being the same bike (and pedal).

Scot
I think we can help the OP a lot more if we know what he/she is trying to accomplish.

#11 ·
Ok, so... why? What do you expect to achieve because of a "larger platform"?

If it's "stability," define what that means to you or what you're experiencing now that you don't like. Me, I don't like the feeling that my foot can "roll" to the outside that I've experienced with some shoe/pedal combos, so I went for a combo that satisfied my needs there.

BTW, keep in mind the concept of "shoe/pedal" system since that's really what affects your feel of the interface. Scot Gore clarified that I think.

It may be that your current pedals are fine, but you should shop for stiffer shoes. Or it may be that you just need a wedge or shim somewhere in the system so your foot is positioned correctly for you.

#12 ·
I haven't seen any hard numbers, either...

...but the Shimano SL stuff all seem to have wide platforms, as do the Campy Pro-fit ones. I like a wide platform myself, because it should distribute the pedaling force over a greater area, and (I hope) forestall "hot spots." The jury is still out on that one. But what the others have said about platform width ultimately being a function of pedal, cleat, and shoe rings true.

You might want to just go to a shop, and take a look at them.

#14 ·
Plus, you can say to people...

"Hey, check out my big Crank(s)!"

#15 ·
GTDave said:
Crank Brothers Mallets
Honking big platform
Yes, but that honking big platform is essentially an afterthought add to address people perception/complaint that the eggbeaters don't have "enough" platform.

I'm not so sure adding this big hunk of plastic around an eggbeater will do anything to change the feel when riding clipless. However, it would make it a more pleasant day when you forget your shoes at home.

Scot

#17 ·
1) 'Platform size' as having any importance at all is yet another marketing myth. If you want to be generous, you could call it a historical artifact.

2) I don't know what sort of driving moccassins you are trying to ride in, but my platform is the size of my shoe's outsole. How it's connected to the pedal spindle matters not-at-all, with one exception (see #4 below.)

3) Speedplay's platform size is the size of the top of the lollipop. The rest of that big, heavy, poor-working crapsicle of a cleat does nothing to support downward force. Practically speaking it could slightly stiffen a terribly flexible sole, but a better solution would be to get a proper cycling shoe.

4) If anything matters about platform size, it's width, or better stated the ability of the cleat to resist side-to-side rocking. Odd as it might seem, good old fashioned Eggy's are among the best in that crowd, when used with an appropriate shoe/cleat combination. The Look, Shimano etc. triangular pattern are in the same class, depending on the details of the engagament mechanism. Speedplays are OK, but nothing spectacular. Dead worst are spd's, though this thread hopefully doesn't consider those.

5) A few years ago, Speedplay had a bunch of graphics and supporting area measurements on their website to show how their pedals had the 'best' platform size. They took them down after (a) carbon soled shoes made the point moot, and (b) a certain popular bike tech writer noted the facts of #3 above on a certain well-read cycling web site.

You asked for opinions. Sorry if they aren't the ones you wanted.

#18 ·
danl1 said:
1) 'Platform size' as having any importance at all is yet another marketing myth. If you want to be generous, you could call it a historical artifact.

2) I don't know what sort of driving moccassins you are trying to ride in, but my platform is the size of my shoe's outsole. How it's connected to the pedal spindle matters not-at-all, with one exception (see #4 below.)

3) Speedplay's platform size is the size of the top of the lollipop. The rest of that big, heavy, poor-working crapsicle of a cleat does nothing to support downward force. Practically speaking it could slightly stiffen a terribly flexible sole, but a better solution would be to get a proper cycling shoe.

4) If anything matters about platform size, it's width, or better stated the ability of the cleat to resist side-to-side rocking. Odd as it might seem, good old fashioned Eggy's are among the best in that crowd, when used with an appropriate shoe/cleat combination. The Look, Shimano etc. triangular pattern are in the same class, depending on the details of the engagament mechanism. Speedplays are OK, but nothing spectacular. Dead worst are spd's, though this thread hopefully doesn't consider those.

5) A few years ago, Speedplay had a bunch of graphics and supporting area measurements on their website to show how their pedals had the 'best' platform size. They took them down after (a) carbon soled shoes made the point moot, and (b) a certain popular bike tech writer noted the facts of #3 above on a certain well-read cycling web site.

You asked for opinions. Sorry if they aren't the ones you wanted.
The OP still hasn't said why he/she cares. I put a pair of Time ATACS on my new 29er so I could ride with or without cycling shoes. Eggbeaters wouldn't work the same way without cycling shoes. That's about the only use of platforms on clipless I can think of. With cycling shoes it really doesn't make a lot of difference.

#19 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
I put a pair of Time ATACS on my new 29er so I could ride with or without cycling shoes.
True.

Crank bros Quattros aren't bad for a road version of that plan. There are also the Winwood pedal adaptors, with a nice big platform on the top, and cleat holes on the bottom. Then there's the Shimano 'city' pedals, spd on one side and platform on the other.

Betting that's not the reason, though.

#20 ·
Sorry to stir up so much controversy!

First, what does OP mean?

Second, here is the background. I've been riding a set of CB Quattros Pedals with Specialized S-Works Shoes for the last year. I had a problem with a cleat so I threw on a set of old Shimano Pedals with the Look type cleat. I was shocked how much more secure and solid they felt. It may be impart due to a larger cleat and maybe a larger platform then the Quattro that attaches with a VERY small cleat and a medium size platform. I figured the platform played a big role in the more solid and powerful feel I got from the old Shimano pedal.

So, I wanted to duplicate that feel in an updated and lighter 08' pedal. Thus, I wrote my post looking for guidance. Hopeful this gives more clarification and ou may be able to offer some guidance in pedal selection?

#21 ·
mseanschmidt said:
Sorry to stir up so much controversy!

So, I wanted to duplicate that feel in an updated and lighter 08' pedal. Thus, I wrote my post looking for guidance. Hopeful this gives more clarification and ou may be able to offer some guidance in pedal selection?
Don't sweat the 'tude; this site seems to bring out in folks the need to not just give opinion, but club you over the head like a baby seal with theirs. I'm not sure why. I do recall that the article in a bike magazine about this website specifically mentioned this tendency.

"OP" usually means "original poster," or "other person"; I've seen both uses.

IMHO ("in my humble opinion":) ), I think the Shimano SL or the Look Keo options would be to your liking.

#23 ·
mseanschmidt said:
Original Poster.

One problem with the Quattro cleat is the plastic surround is kinda flexy. Wonder if your problem with the cleat (whatever it was) had anything to do with how they felt?

Sometimes feelings can be deceiving, too. I wonder if that 'solid' feeling might be more about a restrictive or more limited float rather than any of the things that 'platform' can help. This isn't about a 'right / wrong' thing, just that things aren't always what they seem.

Click in a shoe and take a close look. The only part of the cleat that qualifies as 'platform' on a look/shimano pattern cleat is the bits right around the back screws, near the axles. In comparison, the Quattro is nearly the size of the entire surround. But the look/shimano pattern is wider, so if rocking was part of the sensation, it might be part of the problem, in addition to the flex of the Q's surround.

One thing you might try is a set of 'road' cleats, instead of the Quattro cleats. I don't like it quite as much, but it's more solid and doesn't creak like the Q can.

On the useless tips side of things, it can be helpful to start asking questions without assuming you already have the answer. I'm not making an accusation, simply noting that if you presented these facts as a question rather than following the red herring of cleat size, you'd probably have had more constructive responses.

#24 ·
mseanschmidt said:

The Crank Bros. Quattro platform is 2 1/8 " X 3 " Just measured it on my shoe, is that big enough for you?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.