Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my new Specialized Secteur Comp today, which is equipped with the new 105 group. Need to add pedals. Supposing the logical choice is 105's but wondering if I should be looking at anything else as well. The 105's are $89 - 20% on-line, so $71 shipped. Seems pretty good. Thoughts?

Also - naive question - but do the pedal come with a set of cleats or do I need to buy cleats separately?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I like the shimano pedals. They are well sealed, easy to use, secure and durable. 105 pedals are functionally identical to Ultegra, and weigh the same. Ultegra has higher grade bearings and races, and a prettier finish. I've owed both, and I'd stick with 105.

The pedals come with cleats, and replacements are around $20.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
darkmother said:
I like the shimano pedals. They are well sealed, easy to use, secure and durable. 105 pedals are functionally identical to Ultegra, and weigh the same. Ultegra has higher grade bearings and races, and a prettier finish. I've owed both, and I'd stick with 105.

The pedals come with cleats, and replacements are around $20.
+1. For the price, they're hard to beat.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Yes, the pedals come with cleats. I have the 105 SPD SL 5610's on one bike and I have no regrets. $71 shipped is a great price.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
If you have bought a Sectuer, you're probably more of a recreational rider, so I would recomend Shimano A-520's, or something similar. The A-520 is a single sided road version of their popular M-520 MTB pedal. This will allow you to wear MTB shoes, which are easy to walk in, and for the average cyclist, that's a big plus. Road pedals and shoes are fine for racers, but for most folks, being able to get off and goe into a conveinence store for a drink without walking like a duck [and possibly falling] is well worth the minimal drop in stiffness and performance. Even mountain bike pedals are fine. I rode on road pedals for 20 years and I'm sooo happy I made the switch!

·
Registered
442 Posts
The 6700 Ultegras were worth it when I got them for $99 a little earlier in the year from Performance, but today they're at $129.99. :(

·
Registered
320 Posts
cyclust said:
If you have bought a Sectuer, you're probably more of a recreational rider, so I would recomend Shimano A-520's, or something similar. The A-520 is a single sided road version of their popular M-520 MTB pedal. This will allow you to wear MTB shoes, which are easy to walk in, and for the average cyclist, that's a big plus. Road pedals and shoes are fine for racers, but for most folks, being able to get off and goe into a conveinence store for a drink without walking like a duck [and possibly falling] is well worth the minimal drop in stiffness and performance. Even mountain bike pedals are fine. I rode on road pedals for 20 years and I'm sooo happy I made the switch!
The shimano SPDSL cleats are great to walk on. They have padded ends designed for walking....

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
105's are good. I have them and Ultegra on two separate bikes and actually like the feel of the 105's a little more. For all practical purposes they're the same though.

I know it's tough to tell what you'll want before getting the ride experience but mostly all pedals work just fine so it's probably more important that you focus on getting the float that's good for you than the particular pedal.
Shimano yellow at 6 degrees seem to be good for most people. Just make sure you don't get the red ones unless you're really confident you don't want any float. And if you want the same typle of pedal but think you want a little more than 6 degrees you'd probably want to look at Look instead of Shimano. They make a 9 degree, I think. 6 is generally good for most peoople though and as safe a place as any to start if you don't know what you like.

·
Registered
263 Posts
105 pedals can be had at PBK for sub $60.
I had two of my friends get them.

I have two years old 105s and I just got Dura Ace pedals after I got another bike. Dura ace pedals are noticably smoother but 105 is more than capable.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
chocy said:
105 pedals can be had at PBK for sub $60.
I had two of my friends get them.

I have two years old 105s and I just got Dura Ace pedals after I got another bike. Dura ace pedals are noticably smoother but 105 is more than capable.
PBK = ???

·
Registered
666 Posts
Currently the PD-5700 are at $54 at Chain Reaction. With shipping it adds up to about $69.

I got my PD-5610 for about $48 from Chain Reaction ...I like them a lot. Very little difference compared to the Ultegras. Weight difference between them is about 5-6 grams total.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts