Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Misplaced priorities?
Joined
·
354 Posts
Muaythaibike said:
Can I get an decent pair of road pedals and shoes for about 200? Recommedations?
If you have time to shop around and don't mind not having the latest and greatest, it can be done. Shoes go on sale pretty often, and it's not hard to find cheap pedals that work well. Also, some online retailers offer shoe and pedal combos at reduced prices, but it was usually a shoe I wanted w/ a pedal I didn't want or vice versa. Just look around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,863 Posts
Shimano R085's go for around $100.00. Great shoes for the money. You can pick up old style Look Delta pedals for under $80.00 or the new Keo Classic. There ya go..

Just be aware that all shoes fit different, even within the same brand. So it's best to try them on. I would not order something over the internet unless you have tried that model on, or unless they have a real good return policy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Try shoes on at the LBS, then check on ebay. I tried on a $100 set of Shimano shoes in a store, checked out ebay, and won the same pair (new in box) for a grand total (bid + ship) of $23. Pedals (R540, the black shimano ones) were $35 for a used set, and I found a second, new-in-box set for the same price a couple months later.

This was a pretty sweet deal considering I only watched stuff for maybe 2 days at the most. I'm on a real bad dry spell recently - most of the cycling deals seem to come around october, seems to me - when new stuff comes out, people sell their old stuff, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
On ebay, not too difficult to find Look Keo Classic pedals for about 70.00. And I don't think you can go wrong with the Cat 1 Gavia carbon-sole shoes at Performance (carbon sole, nice and solid ratcheting clip) I always see them for less than 100.00... yet I saw them on "clearance" for 84.00 (I think) last week. For whatever reason, they're listed for +100.00 right now. But you know how Performance is... they have new sales about every fifteen minutes: 4th of July? Sale!!! Summer Solstice? Sale!!! Sun came up in the East? Sale!!!
 

·
Failboat Captian
Joined
·
6,559 Posts
I'm actually very happy with my pedals and shoes. I have CB Candies on all my bikes ($50-$70 depending on version), and when I went to get new shoes, the ones that happen to fit me best were the $40 Performance house brand. I was all willing and set to spend anywhere up to about $180 on shoes, and walked out with $40 shoes. go figger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Good prices can be had on less sought after items. I picked up a pair of Keo Sprint Elle with cleats for $30 and a pair of Specialized BG Comp for $70. The pedals were used but the shoes were new. I think the Elle pedals are a little more narrow and sport a different color but for the most part, they're identical.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One thing that I just realized is that I use my bike for short trips (to the gym, coffee, etc). On these trips I would want to wear regular shoes due to the very short duration of the trip. I guess with pedals I would not be able to do so... So I guess the question, are road shoes difficult to walk in? And is it bad 2?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
JohnnyTooBad said:
I'm actually very happy with my pedals and shoes. I have CB Candies on all my bikes ($50-$70 depending on version), and when I went to get new shoes, the ones that happen to fit me best were the $40 Performance house brand. I was all willing and set to spend anywhere up to about $180 on shoes, and walked out with $40 shoes. go figger.
Hey, if the fit is good for you, price is immaterial. My $30.00 Shimano shoe, could not be happier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
642 Posts
Muaythaibike said:
One thing that I just realized is that I use my bike for short trips (to the gym, coffee, etc). On these trips I would want to wear regular shoes due to the very short duration of the trip. I guess with pedals I would not be able to do so... So I guess the question, are road shoes difficult to walk in? And is it bad 2?

Some people ride road bikes with recessed mountain shoes and egg beaters.
Not very attractive shoes, but easy to walk in.

Road cleats are like walking with hooves on ice and they wear out fast if you walk on them even a little.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,477 Posts
immerle said:
Some people ride road bikes with recessed mountain shoes and egg beaters.
Not very attractive shoes, but easy to walk in.

Road cleats are like walking with hooves on ice and they wear out fast if you walk on them even a little.
I beg to differ. My Sidi Dragons are plenty hot and sexy.
 

·
Misplaced priorities?
Joined
·
354 Posts
Muaythaibike said:
One thing that I just realized is that I use my bike for short trips (to the gym, coffee, etc). On these trips I would want to wear regular shoes due to the very short duration of the trip. I guess with pedals I would not be able to do so... So I guess the question, are road shoes difficult to walk in? And is it bad 2?
If you're going to be spending a lot of time walking in your cycling shoes, get some MTB style pedals and MTB or touring shoes. The only real downside to MTB or touring shoes is that the soles aren't as stiff as road shoe soles (they're still much stiffer than the soles on your tennis shoes).
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top