Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound like an elementary question....but....

I have a Cannondale R5000 and I am trying to change out pedals. I currently have Shimano and Sidi shoes. But, I just cannot get used to clipping out of them. I have fallen on my butt several times.
I am thinking of going to speedplay frog pedals and mtb shoes. I have heard that the frogs are the easiest to click in and out.
Is it acceptable to use mountain pedals and shoes with a road bike or is that just a big NO, NO.
Oh yes one other matter. I have wide feet so I need a wide mountain shoe I was thinking of the Lake MX165.

I hope all of this makes sense. Thanks ....
Runner 2127

·
Registered
168 Posts
MTB on a road bike? It's cool....

I use Shimano SPD pedals on my Schwinn, and wear Specialized Mountain Comp (in yellow, red, and black, of course) shoes. I wear a size 47, which is pretty huge, and I do have wide feet. In my Wolverine work boots I wear like a 13 EEE. Sasquatch feet....anyhow, I just didn't see the point in skating around in slick road shoes when I am off the bike. Since I ride primarily short rides and often just bumping around town, I wanted something I could walk in. Now the Specialized shoes are NOT walking shoes, but they are bearable for a little while. The biggest problem is having my heel lower than the ball of my foot when I walk, that gets to my back after a while.

I realize there are better pedal systems than the SPD, but I like it because the cleat is small, and the tension on the pedal is adjustable. I have mine set as loose as possible, so clipping out is easy.

My advice, find some shoes that are comfortable to you and fit the use you intend, then decide which pedals best fit them.....or maybe that should be the other way around....whatever.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
Runner2127 said:

I have a Cannondale R5000 and I am trying to change out pedals. I currently have Shimano and Sidi shoes. But, I just cannot get used to clipping out of them. I have fallen on my butt several times.
I am thinking of going to speedplay frog pedals and mtb shoes. I have heard that the frogs are the easiest to click in and out.
Is it acceptable to use mountain pedals and shoes with a road bike or is that just a big NO, NO.
Oh yes one other matter. I have wide feet so I need a wide mountain shoe I was thinking of the Lake MX165.

Runner 2127
There's no rule that says you can't put the frog cleats on the road shoes. I did exactly that for a while. The only problem is that the frog cleat is a small metal thing, and will tear hell out of anything you walk on - and won't do much to protect the sole of the shoe from wear, either. You could glue on some sort of rubber bumpers to fix that problem. Frogs do have the best action I've found.

I'm currently using Crank Bros. Quattros for their combination of easy entry/exit and walkability. Just another option to consider. I've toyed with the idea of adapting their cleat surround to fit the Frog cleats.

There are also some tricks that will help no matter which pedal you choose. One thing is that the heel twist to exit works much better if the leg is not at the top of the pedal stroke - up there, the foot tends to roll rather than twist.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Runner2127 said:

I am trying to change out pedals.

I currently have Shimano and Sidi shoes. But, I just cannot get used to clipping out of them. I have fallen on my butt several times.
if you can't get out of speedplay pedals then you should consider clipless; changing your shoes won't matter.

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Shimano road pedals are pretty easy to unclip. Which model do you have? If you're having problems getting out of Shimano road pedals I don't think the problem will be solved by going to Speedplay. Which type of shoe you wear has little bearing on how easy or hard it is to unclip. If you want to go to mountain shoes for ease of walking that's a perfectly justifiable reason and there's nothing wrong with mountain pedals and shoes on a road bike. However, if your reason for switching is easier unclipping I don't think you'll be happy with the switch. Sounds like you just need more time and practice. Everyone has some difficulty at first. Even lower end Shimano road pedals have a release tension adjuster. Perhaps you simply need to reset the release tension to allow easier release.

·
Out of work goaltender
147 Posts
going from sidi's to a mountain bike shoe may feel like putting on ankle-weights. I ended up starting off with mountain shoes and pedals cause I got an amazing ebay deal on some, but later on a ride i couldn't believe the difference trying my friends old sidi's. I think you should try a bit more to get used to clipping out, it's not a natural reaction to turn your foot when you start to tip over, I always wanted to just yank my foot straight up to escape. good luck with whatever you go with.

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,032 Posts
Runner2127 said:

Runner 2127
Clipping is clipping,either you do or you dont.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.