Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is every one using for pedals? any clipless pedals anyone knows of that you can use street shoes on if you want to?

· Captain Obvious
11,956 Posts
i use speedplay frogs for all of my bikes.

· You call that running?
262 Posts
You're not really going to find anything that works great for cross races and is comfortable with street shoes. Shimano makes a pedal that is flat on one side and clipless on the other side. It sort of makes sense for a commuter bike that sometimes gets used in street shoes, but it would suck for racing because you have to flip it over to get the proper side each time you remount. Any of the pedals like crank bros candys with a cage around a normal 2-sided clipless pedal is not going to be very comfortable in street shoes.

I use shimano 959s for cross.

· MTBR Member
3,124 Posts
I was cruising down a waterfront trail for about a half hour last night with street shoes on Shimano SPD M540s. It's not comfortable, but doable.

I would not recommend the 2-side pedals for any purpose. I had them on commuter, and was very annoyed by having to flip them over.

· raging results nerd
925 Posts
The Sundance Kid said:
Those are disposable and designed for test rides. Not a great long term solution. You'd probably end up replacing them a lot.
I've been commuting on a pair of plastic snapins for 2 years. They have reflectors on them -- maybe not as lightweight as what you're thinking of? In any case they have been fine, although I don't unsnap them ever.

· You call that running?
262 Posts
No, we're probably talking about the same thing. I'm just surprised they've held up that well for you. I will defer to you if you have first-hand experience. So if you never unsnap them do you effectively have the 2-sided flat/spd pedal I linked to upthread? And don't you commute on your cross bike? I remember something from last fall about you racing with a blinky taillight on your bike. I'm confused.

· raging results nerd
925 Posts
The Sundance Kid said:
No, we're probably talking about the same thing. I'm just surprised they've held up that well for you. I will defer to you if you have first-hand experience. So if you never unsnap them do you effectively have the 2-sided flat/spd pedal I linked to upthread? And don't you commute on your cross bike? I remember something from last fall about you racing with a blinky taillight on your bike. I'm confused.
I use my cross bike as a road bike and sometimes commuter bike, sometimes randonneur bike, which is why is has the odd blinky on it. Also been riding the snap in flats for a long time though, with no problems. Well... they squeaked at first. And I clip in about half the time, too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.