Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here with a Pedal question...

I'm shopping for a new bike. I rode a lot as a kid (Falcon Cycles) and realize a road bike is more to my liking than the hybrid I bought a couple years ago.

My question is about the pedals the bikes come with. I'm a larger person - 6'2" 260. I also have "canal boats" for feet - size 15W. I can find cycling shoes in my size, but at this point, for the type of riding I do, I don't want to be tied on to the pedals. Trust me, when you're my size you're more apt to be clumsy! As for the toe clips, forget getting my shoe/sneakers into them. It's not going to happen.

My question is, do they make standard pedals for road bikes that are on the larger size to accommodate big shoes? I thought I read somewhere on another forum that someone makes a pedal that extends out farther so that your shoes aren't rubbing on the crank.

All opinions welcome.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
98 Posts
if your not going to get clipless pedals, i would not get "cycling shoes".. there are bigger pedals in the mtn bike world.. go look for some platform pedals (downhillers and freeriders use them).. or just go talk to your lbs and tell them your concerns.. fyi.. prolly should post this in the beginners corner..

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've got a set of magnesium block 8 platform pedals on my cyclocross bike, intended more for mountain biking but they do the trick.

I wear a size 11.5 EEEE, so cycling shoes are pretty much out of the question. And at 6'0"/260lbs and having to go through some stop and go traffic on my morning commute I'm probably better off not being clipped in.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
mikebordo said:
OK, thanks, I'll talk to the LBS.

"prolly should post this in the beginners corner.." Sorry, I'm new here and didn't know the rules. I'll pay more attention next time.

Mike
I am 6'4" and wear a size 14 and use SPD SL's. If you plan to do some riding, more then just a stroll to the park, I would get clipless pedals. They will help prevent the problem you are worried about- feet slipping off, or not having a good contact with the pedal.

Just something to start thinking about! Ride on:thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked the Rivendell site, they've got a good selection. Thanks.

Also, the two above look like they would work. Thos Crank Bros. downill/freeride pedals look nice.

Excuse the newbie question but, what is meant by downill/freeride pedals?

Thanks to all for the replies,

Mike

·
MTBR Member
3,124 Posts
mikebordo said:
Excuse the newbie question but, what is meant by downill/freeride pedals?
It means they are typically used, in conditions as shown below on a mountain bike for aggressive riding, not on a road bike. (thought the bike pictured actually has SPD pedals...)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dr. Nob said:
Those pedals will work fine on a roadie. Although in my opinion I can't see any reason why clipless pedals wouldn't work.
Never used clipless or toe clips. Maybe in due time. Remember - Shoe size 15W. Things aren't as available for us guys as they are for most people. Although SiDi makes a cycking shoe in my size.

tx

·
MTBR Member
3,124 Posts
mikebordo said:
So for someone that, due to his shoe size, needs to improvise, this can be used on a road bike for commuting/pleasure riding?
If you want, yes. Most would argue that clipless pedals are better suited to road riding, there is nothing preventing you from using a different style of pedal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.