Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get new pedals for my road bike. I currently have bebops and the float is nice but i find them hard to get into and have had retaention issues with worn cleats. I like my time atacs on my mtb but on the road they arent locked in enough. I find toe in pedals easier to get into then step downs so i dont want a set of speedplays. I am looking at ultegra spd-sls, look keo sprints and time rxs , all seem somewhat similar, any big things to look out for or should i just go for what i can get cheapest? I am a big guy 190lbs and aggressive in my riding.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Don't give up on the speedplays straightaway, if you're doing it based on your bebops. The bebops are considerably harder to hit than the speedplays. They have a conical shape around both the mouth of the cleat and the edge of the pedal that makes for an easy target. Speedplay riders seem to fumble getting in a lot less than other system.

If you want kick-ins, the Frogs are another choice, if you can get past putting mtb equipment on a road bike. They use the same sort of kick-in, though not as pronounced. Also, the 'target' that you are kicking into is every bit as wide with Frogs as it is with the other brands you've mentioned. That is, your feet can be too far in or out by the same (or greater) amount and you'll still get a successful engagement. They're also lighter than the Zeros, once the cleats are all added in.

As for the choices you've given, some decision points: The float pivot on Times is under the ball of the foot, on Looks and spd-sl's it's up at the front edge of the cleat. Don't know how much it ultimately matters, but it's a preference thing to think about. Time cleats are metal rather than plastic where it matters, so they'll hold up a bit better. Personally, I think they're the harder of the three to get into, but opinions vary. You'll get used to whatever you ride soon enough. Look into the bearing setups at the varying brands and price levels - that might be the most important and the most overlooked part of pedal purchasing.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Time

carlhulit said:
I am looking to get new pedals for my road bike. I currently have bebops and the float is nice but i find them hard to get into and have had retaention issues with worn cleats. I like my time atacs on my mtb but on the road they arent locked in enough. I find toe in pedals easier to get into then step downs so i dont want a set of speedplays. I am looking at ultegra spd-sls, look keo sprints and time rxs , all seem somewhat similar, any big things to look out for or should i just go for what i can get cheapest? I am a big guy 190lbs and aggressive in my riding.
My only comment will be regarding the Time pedals, as that is all I have used in the past 10 years.

I had the RXS Carbons last year, but I actually went back to the Impacts. I found the RXS pedal body was not that durable (it is just plastic with some carbon fibers) and it was actually wearing down in places after about 6 weeks of use. I am not exceptionally hard on equipment, but pedal/cleat interfaces need tobe durable items. If you like the float on your Time ATAC pedals, you might want to look around for some Impacts as they can be found cheap on mailorder sites and eBay.

Interestingly, many Euro pros still ride the Impact instead of the RSX. Boonen, Rogers, Simoni, Ullrich, Kloden all rode Time Impact in 2005.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
danl1 said:
Don't give up on the speedplays straightaway, if you're doing it based on your bebops. The bebops are considerably harder to hit than the speedplays. They have a conical shape around both the mouth of the cleat and the edge of the pedal that makes for an easy target. Speedplay riders seem to fumble getting in a lot less than other system.
Ditto that. Speedplays are a doddle to get in and out of.

·
But it's a dry heat...
286 Posts
Eric_H said:
My only comment will be regarding the Time pedals, as that is all I have used in the past 10 years.

I had the RXS Carbons last year, but I actually went back to the Impacts. I found the RXS pedal body was not that durable (it is just plastic with some carbon fibers) and it was actually wearing down in places after about 6 weeks of use. I am not exceptionally hard on equipment, but pedal/cleat interfaces need tobe durable items. If you like the float on your Time ATAC pedals, you might want to look around for some Impacts as they can be found cheap on mailorder sites and eBay.

Interestingly, many Euro pros still ride the Impact instead of the RSX. Boonen, Rogers, Simoni, Ullrich, Kloden all rode Time Impact in 2005.
Another vote for the Time RXS. I'm not sure about the durability mentioned in the previous post, because I've had my Time RXS pedals for 7 months now and there is no wear in the body whatsoever. These are my favorite pedals hands down.

Thx...Doug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts