Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talked with my LBS today about new pedals. I was leaning toward Look or Shimano SPD-L but he was very much against anything with a plastic cleat. He had experience with the cleat breaking at very bad times and causing crashes, etc. He recommended Speedplay but I thought most people felt those can cause knee problems.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Questionable advice

Homenetman said:
Talked with my LBS today about new pedals. I was leaning toward Look or Shimano SPD-L but he was very much against anything with a plastic cleat. He had experience with the cleat breaking at very bad times and causing crashes, etc. He recommended Speedplay but I thought most people felt those can cause knee problems.
First of all, since most cleats for most brands of pedals are plastic, your LBS is basically sayin that most pedals are no good. Not true.

Second, most people think that Speedplays are GOOD for riders with knee problems.

So, between you and your shop, you have everything pretty much bassackwards :)

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Yeah, your LBS is on crack.

Look and SPD (either of them) are fine and they usually have plenty of float for your knees.

I never used Speedplays but people swear by them like Crank Bros.

Just get whatever you fancy, you'll be happy with whatever you get. There hasn't been a system I've used that I've been disappointed with.

·
Registered
232 Posts
No plastic cleats huh? Well that would eliminate Shimano and Look (and all the Look clones)...probably the two best selling pedals on the market. Sounds like the LBS salesperson in on a personal quest to make sure everyone rides Speedplay!!!

Nothing wrong with Speedplay, very knee friendly. But if you've never rode on them, they are very different. The have "free float" which means there is NO tension on the cleat until they release. To me they feel like pedaling on ice cubes...just felt like my foot was wandering all over the pedal (even though it probably wasn't). But many people swear by them so to each their own.

I personally like my Crank Bros these days, knee friendly but not the loose feeling of the Speedplay (also Bebops feel this way). But I used Look pedals for a long time with the red cleats and never once had an issue with a broken cleat.

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
I am a Look Keo guy. It is hard to beat the Keo Classics for $60 or so from Pro Bike Kit.

Speedplay pedals look very light until you add the cleat into the equation.

I must confess that I did break a cleat as a newbie when I could not come unclipped and tipped over. There than that, no problems. Ironically, the only cleat/pedel failure I have seen with my normal group was a Speedplay failure. Metal piece of the pedal that the cleat attaches to broke. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
What you're LBS says doesn't make sense. The shoe is attached to the pedal by a metal to metal contact. In pedals systems with plastic cleats the plastic part doesn't secure the shoe to the pedal, it is used to guide the actual cleat into the connection mechanism, and in some cases to provide a surface to walk on.

I wonder what Thor Hushovd would think if he found out that his wimpy plastic cleats were at risk of breaking and causing a crash?

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
You're a littel confused

Bertrand said:
What you're LBS says doesn't make sense. The shoe is attached to the pedal by a metal to metal contact. In pedals systems with plastic cleats the plastic part doesn't secure the shoe to the pedal, it is used to guide the actual cleat into the connection mechanism, and in some cases to provide a surface to walk on.

I wonder what Thor Hushovd would think if he found out that his wimpy plastic cleats were at risk of breaking and causing a crash?
What you say may be true of some systems, but at least with Look pedals, the entire cleat is plastic. There's no "metal to metal contact" holding anything on. The pedal where it contacts the cleat is partly metal, partly plastic, but the only metal on the cleats is the screws and.washers that attach the cleat to the shoe, and those don't come into contact with the pedal.

That said, they are plenty strong.

Which pedal does Thor use?

·
Registered
19 Posts
if nobody minds, can i just add, i just switched to a new set of look keo easy's, with the grey cleats, which came with my bike. I was using spd's before (mtb pedals) and in comparison it feels like my shoe is going to come out of the pedal all the time! is this the "float"? or a function of the pedals? I figured it's the float, and was thinking of getting some new cleats? thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.