Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I forgot to check the weather report before leaving for a ride and it kicked my ass. It was looking like a nice day until I saw some really nasty looking clouds rolling in in front of me. My luck held out till right after my turn around point (32 miles in). I went from riding in the nice Florida sun to complete down pour. Now here is the part I want all of your opinions. Do you keep riding, or find some type of shelter to wait out the nastiness? From what I saw on the road about the decision was pretty much 50/50. I personally figured wet is wet and kept going, but was being extra cautions and turned on my rear red strobe.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
My vote is for shelter. I worry about the wet rodes and slipping.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
As long as I had enough daylight and the skies didn't look like all day rain, I'd wait it out. Maybe a cheeseburger or a few tacos wouldn't hurt :D

·
Registered
669 Posts
I would take shelter. In really bad conditions drivers will have a harder time seeing you and be able to make adjustments.

Dave

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,793 Posts
Unless there is active lightning keep riding. You stop, and you're going to get wet and risk slipping due to the soaked roads anyway.

·
Registered
21,544 Posts
Reading the weather

physcocyclist said:
Well today I forgot to check the weather report before leaving for a ride and it kicked my ass. It was looking like a nice day until I saw some really nasty looking clouds rolling in in front of me. My luck held out till right after my turn around point (32 miles in). I went from riding in the nice Florida sun to complete down pour. Now here is the part I want all of your opinions. Do you keep riding, or find some type of shelter to wait out the nastiness? From what I saw on the road about the decision was pretty much 50/50. I personally figured wet is wet and kept going, but was being extra cautions and turned on my rear red strobe.
Sometimes you can see that the rain is going to be of short duration (small dark cloud, moving fast) and so it might be worth stopping. Other times, it looks like you're in for a wet couple of hours, and there's no point in trying to wait it out. Most times, we just keep going because you'll ride out of it if you keep going and you'll sit under it if you don't.

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
physcocyclist said:
It depends on a lot of variables. If it is a downpour that I think will limit the sight of drivers or cause them to be worried about more on the road than just the cyclist in the right lane, I seek shelter. If the wind is howling or I see lightning, I seek shelter. About the only time I ride in the rain nowadays is when it is just a slight drizzle. Wet is wet, but dead is dead.

As a teenager I used to ride through downpours, lighting, high wind, ice on the road, etc., but that was before I had a wife and kids and before I had much common sense.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
It depends. I've pulled over a stopped for a few minutes when I was driving because the visibility was so bad. This was in daylight. If visibility isn't too bad I'll keep going. Might as well ride because you can only get so wet, then it doesn't matter. If there's lightening I seek immediate shelter. If you stay on your bike you're virtually riding a lightening rod.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
depends

physcocyclist said:
Rain only - keep riding
Rain with lightning nearby - wait it out

·
Registered
638 Posts
Back in the 80's I was out riding and got caught in a rain shower. Around here in the summer the showers are usually localized over a fairly small area but can be intense. Anyway I went for about a mile in the rain and then decided to turn in at a strip mall where I could get under a roof and wait the rain out. That was my big mistake(instead of just continuing) as I turned right at the corner my bike slipped out under me and I landed bad on my left side breaking my hip.

I usually just keep on riding if I get caught in the rain, however sometimes I'll still take cover if it's convenient.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts