Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Got a surly steam roller. Here is my question:

I ride a roubaix for road work with SPD peddles. Now that I have this surly I'm trying to figure out what kind of peddles to put on it. I intend on using it as a bad weather commuter, a general errand bike, and for use on the velodrome thats about 400 yards from my office. Is there a peddle that I can use to do all of that? I see bikes at the gym with toe clips on one side and a mountain bike peddle on the other? Is that a good idea?

Thanks in advance for the adivce.

Damien

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i thought something looked wrong too. 14 hours at work... forgot my spelling. Thanks for correcting me. You must be the cool kid on the school bus.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
+1 for Shimano 520.
Work great. Easy double entry. Great price.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
I've been using 520's too and really like them

I'm also experimenting with Crank Bro Candy on one bike and really like them so far
use Candy pedals on 3 bikes and they work great on the road and at the velodrome...gotta keep an eye on the cleats though, they are soft and wear fairly quickly, once that happens you can pull out

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Better idea

For all-purpose use like that, there are several pedals that are dual-function: a plain cage (platform) on one side, to use with ordinary street shoes, sneakers, etc.; and a SPD-type cleat mech on the other. The Shimano M324 is the best of them, but the Performance Campus pedal is cheaper and probably works as well (doesn't look quite as nice), and the very inexpensive Nashbar Rodeo has worked very well for me on my rain commuter/errand bike.

edit: I don't think the Nashbar cleat is compatible with true SPD's, but Performance says theirs is.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Another option (although velodrome use may be questionable) is the Shimano M324. SPD one side, platform on the other. An alternative to that is the cheaper and lighter Wellgo 95B. Both are sealed bearing and the 95B is also sold as the Performance Campus. On sale it's less than $40. Both are compatible with your current SPD road setup.

I use the 95B and I cut off the outer part of the cage for more fixie ground clearance. Easy clip in for the commute with my mtb shoe and for lunch runs, errands, cruising with the wife, etc. I can just use street shoes.

If I were "redoing" my entire fleet (prohibitively expensive), I'd consider Crank Bros.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts