Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys....I am having some trouble and I cant seem to figure it out. When I pedal forward and shift, the chain cycles through the gears perfectly. The problem is if I pedal backwards, the chain will fall off of the biggest cog down to the next smallest cog. It is doing this no matter what cog it is on, but it wont fall off of the smallest cog.

Any ideas? I have tried everything I know how to do, and nothing seems to remedy this problem.

Thanks for the help!

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Tuning the bike can help - a quarter turn or so out on a barrel adjuster can sometimes get rid of it.

If not, then it can be from a bent RD hanger.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
This could be caused by "cross-chaining". This is when the chain is on one chain ring but you have shifted to the cog on the other end of the cassette. Based on your description, you are in the large chain ring and may be in one of the larger cogs. The extreme angle of the chain is causing it to shift down when pedaling backwards.

This is something to avoid because it puts added stress on the drivetrain.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You can double check to make sure everything is adjusted right but chances are you have a misaligned hanger or a bent derailer. Have a shop align the hanger and if the problem persists you may need to replace some parts(chain, cassette, derailer).

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
murbike said:
Check to make sure your pulley wheels are spinning freely
Good thought - that can do it, too.

·
TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
523 Posts
bizzum said:
Hey guys....I am having some trouble and I cant seem to figure it out. When I pedal forward and shift, the chain cycles through the gears perfectly. The problem is if I pedal backwards, the chain will fall off of the biggest cog down to the next smallest cog. It is doing this no matter what cog it is on, but it wont fall off of the smallest cog.

Any ideas? I have tried everything I know how to do, and nothing seems to remedy this problem.

Thanks for the help!
I used to get raspberry seeds stuck in a benign pit in one of my molars. My dentist told me to stop eating raspberries.

I did not, because raspberries taste good; now I just have to pick a raspberry seed or two out of my tooth when I'm done. What's pedaling backwards taste like?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
biknben said:
This could be caused by "cross-chaining". This is when the chain is on one chain ring but you have shifted to the cog on the other end of the cassette. Based on your description, you are in the large chain ring and may be in one of the larger cogs. The extreme angle of the chain is causing it to shift down when pedaling backwards.

This is something to avoid because it puts added stress on the drivetrain.
Ahh...didn't even think of this...This is exactly what the problem was. I am new to road bikes and it just didn't seem right to me but now that I look at the extreme angle from big ring to big ring it makes perfect sense! Thanks for all the responses.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
832 Posts
If you're not cross-chaining, this is indicative of a bent derailleur-hanger. Unless you want to spring $60 - $70 on a Park Tool DAG-2 to check the hanger and bend it back into perfect alignment, go to your local bike-shop and ask them to check it/bend it back. It's a quick job and the repair is equally fast. Once fixed, you'll likely notice a marked improvement in your shifting.

And you'll be able to freewheel backwards without inducing a gear change. But eat raspberries at your own risk.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,915 Posts
it can also be a function of the top idler pulley being too close to the cogs

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
too many gears

Problem is you have too many gears.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
B screw adjustment, at least on Shimano.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,915 Posts
Mel Erickson said:
B screw adjustment, at least on Shimano.
yeah that's what I was talking about, the idler pulley being too close...

·
Registered
192 Posts
One more thing to check-- if your freehub body needs re-lubing you could experience this as well. The quick check to rule this out is to put your bike on a stand and pedal it quickly- if the cranks start turning, you need to re-lube the freehub.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts