Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone the other day before entering a road for a long climb I was running low on my Hammer Heed drink so I stopped by a 7 eleven and bought some Pedialyte,mixed it with my drink.It was pretty satisfying.i was wondering if any one has used this in your water bottle for long rides and if it's safe,I have a century ride coming up and was thinking about trying it out.(Pedialyte is for child dehydration,an oral electrolyte solution)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello everyone the other day before entering a road for a long climb I was running low on my Hammer Heed drink so I stopped by a 7 eleven and bought some Pedialyte,mixed it with my drink.It was pretty satisfying.i was wondering if any one has used this in your water bottle for long rides and if it's safe,I have a century ride coming up and was thinking about trying it out.(Pedialyte is for child dehydration,an oral electrolyte solution)
Working with pharmicists on a daily basis, when adults ask about using pedialyte for themself or "adult pedialyte" they actually say Gatorade is better for hydrating an adult. Per serving it has more sodium and potassium for rehydration, and a few more sugars. I tend to trust our pharmacists since they went to school for 6 years to understand how substances interact with each other and the body.

·
Registered
940 Posts
It is an expensive way to get a smidge of Na K and sugar, maybe a bit of calcium. Pedialyte, hammer, etc, they are all terrific marketing success that you can make in your kitchen for pennies. All you need is a carb source (pick your sugar, dextrose, sucrose, fructose) add you Na and K (AKA mortons lo salt) and add your extras to your hearts desire. As a full grown adult pedialyte is pretty low on NA and K if these are what you are after. You could have had a V8. Pedialyte will be more $$ than Gatorade etc, and will probably have less sugar and electrolytes because it is for little people. Being low in sugar too at 1% is not a bad thing if you are eating your way around the century. It depends on you really. Anyway. it is overpriced IMO. You can get the adult version, I think it is called gastrolyte, but gain, look at the nutrition panel and knock yourself out. A 0.1 gram scale is very cheap on amazon.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Although I detest people that go off on tangents in threads, it's bred into my nature.

I did a web search for a DIY sports drink. What I wound up with was orange juice cut 50% with a bit of salt and a B-complex vitamin dumped in. The sugars are the proper mix of sucrose and fructose at the right concentration. Taste is a little funky because of the salt and acidity, but not bad. Tends to ferment if left to set, but just consider it an exotic kvass (a Russian near beer made with fermented rye bread and sold on the street as a soft drink. The fermentation is only a day or two, so the alcohol is low.)

·
Registered
467 Posts
Although I detest people that go off on tangents in threads, it's bred into my nature.

I did a web search for a DIY sports drink. What I wound up with was orange juice cut 50% with a bit of salt and a B-complex vitamin dumped in. The sugars are the proper mix of sucrose and fructose at the right concentration. Taste is a little funky because of the salt and acidity, but not bad. Tends to ferment if left to set, but just consider it an exotic kvass (a Russian near beer made with fermented rye bread and sold on the street as a soft drink. The fermentation is only a day or two, so the alcohol is low.)
Not really. Oj is probably close to 50/50 fructose/glucose. You want something more like 33/66 for maximum absorption for high amounts, or just glucose for <60g/h.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.