Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered two Aztec stainless steel shift cables from Performance. They come two in a package, one for the front derailleur, one for the rear. I discovered when I went to install them that they are precut. The short cable intended for the front der is too short to fit larger road bikes (mine is a 60cm). Luckily I ordered two sets so had to use the cable for the rear der out of the second package. The shorter cable was short by 4cm.

I contacted Performance and they said they would contact Aztec as this problem needs to be addressed. I wrote a review of this product noting the pre-cut shorter cable, so someone else would not find out the hard way like I did. Performance did not print the unfavorable review. I noticed that most of their products only have good reviews, all the unfavorable reviews have disappeared (I wrote a couple of them).

Has anyone else noticed this?

Performance said I could return the cables for credit or exchange, but they only cost a couple dollars apiece so it is not worth the trouble..

Other online bike shops such as Excel Sports print the unfavorable reviews.

· Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Length

mayukawa said:
I was going to buy that...how long are the two shift cables anyway?

Don't know how long they are. The long cable for the rear derailleur is plenty long enough. The short cable in comparison to the old cable I had taken out was 4cm (1 1/2") short,

If you have a 55cm bike (I'm guessing) the short cable should be o.k.

I'm just wondering how many complaints Performance will get about these cables until they yank them off.

The point is Performance knows they have a defective product and are not doing anything about it.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I'd ask Performance for a refund. They might ask you to return the cables though.

· Registered
17 Posts
FWIW, I installed a set on a 60 cm bike about two months ago with plenty of cable length left over. Probably just a manufacturing/packaging error.

You could try contacting them direct at www.deltacycle.com, maybe they'll send you a replacement set. Wouldn't hurt to try.

As far as Performance goes, no real surprise about the reviews.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.