Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I am not big on the fashionista, but I wanted to get another opinion or two with a bar tape question. First let me explain that I am a newbie and have been using SPD pedals up until now. However, I got these purple LOOK pedals with some Shimano shoes w/LOOK cleats thrown in for free with another bike I bought and I am trying to give them a home.

I really like how much easier it is to clip in to these LOOKs and I like how they feel, but they sure are ugly. I just got some black/purple marble Cinelli bar tape for $8 that I was hoping would be just enough to make the pedals palatable. I think that this will grow on me with some time but what do my fellow RBR's have to say?

Also, the mirror I got with a miscellaneous assortment of bike stuff and I haven't tried it out yet.

A.) Should I go with the marble bar tape?

B.) If not, does anyone want to swap a set of black Look pedal for these purple ones?

Worst case scenario if it doesn't grow on me, the bike came with some very worn SPDs that I could put back on and I could eBay the purple LOOKs.

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
did you make the mirror look at your crotch on purpose?

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yarble said:
did you make the mirror look at your crotch on purpose?
Sadly enough, I am not that clever.... good thing my zipper was up though, I could have ended up on the PG forum :p

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Stick with black tape and either strip the pedals or paint them black.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mel Erickson said:
Stick with black tape and either strip the pedals or paint them black.
I would be cool with painting them, what kind of paint will stick and look decent?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I think it looks fine just the way it is.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Any good quality rattle can paint should work fine. Like any other paint job preparation is the key. With new pedals you just need to rough up the existing paint so the new coat sticks well. Many light coats are better than a few heavy coats. Don't forget to mask the threads and other parts you don't want painted.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
I repainted a set of red Looks using that blue masking tape that one finds at Home Depot, an x-acto knife and some patience.

But, I like those pedals on that bike. I'd go with black tape and leave them along. I hate marble tape on principle. But, a little bit of color adds some interest. And as been said, when you're riding it, no one will see them anyway.

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
Frame?

What kind of frame is that? I t reminds me my early, lugged Curtlo I'm de-stickering and building up.

The look is very dull and dated. However, that's what I think is cool about it.

It will be interesting to try steel for the first time in 20 years.

How do you like it?

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lifelover said:
What kind of frame is that? I t reminds me my early, lugged Curtlo I'm de-stickering and building up.

The look is very dull and dated. However, that's what I think is cool about it.

It will be interesting to try steel for the first time in 20 years.

How do you like it?
I had a thread about this "mystery bike" going last week. I have spent way too much time trying to nail it down, but my best guess is that it is a 1988 Schwinn Tempo. It was completely debadged and repainted or powdercoated black two owners ago and all the previous owner knew was that it was a Schwinn.

It has been built up with mostly Shimano 600 components. Everything is in great shape, the frame is solid and it rides smooth. It is a little heavy by today's standards, but it isn't very hilly here, so a nice comfortable steel frame is not a bad option. I got the bike for $100 from a guy in town and I already had the pedals, aerobar, and water bottle holders.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I vote to keep it as is. I think it looks cool with the bar tape and the pedals. Then again I'm no fashionista.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I say if you can't hide it...

...embrace it! Why not look for some retro ano. purple bits to toss in??? Why try to re-paint perfectly good pedals? Use this little "glich" as a start point for a new look! When I was MTB'ing I got a phenominal deal on some anodized red wheels. Since they matched nothing on my bike I hit the "oh God this is terrible stuff" piles at the LBS's. They were more than happy to sell me some cool old stuff really cheap because nobody else wanted it. I ended up with a gold seat post, some wild yellow brakes, etc. Sure it was ugly but it was one helluva conversation starter! Mike

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
stewardmike03 said:
...embrace it! Why not look for some retro ano. purple bits to toss in??? Why try to re-paint perfectly good pedals? Use this little "glich" as a start point for a new look! When I was MTB'ing I got a phenominal deal on some anodized red wheels. Since they matched nothing on my bike I hit the "oh God this is terrible stuff" piles at the LBS's. They were more than happy to sell me some cool old stuff really cheap because nobody else wanted it. I ended up with a gold seat post, some wild yellow brakes, etc. Sure it was ugly but it was one helluva conversation starter! Mike
I had already checked ebay for some purple anodized bits. I saw some QR skewers for front, rear, and the seat for $16 and even some spoke nipples for $10. If I go with the purple, then these could be next.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
I just painted a pair of dura ace 7401 (old school from about 15 years ago) clipless pedals (look style) black with touch up paint I got at Napa automotive. While the finish is not completely smooth I am pleased with the result. It came out shinny. The paint used was "Dupli-color Scratch Fix 2 in 1" Universal Black NG SF 100. You got a nice black frame. I would go with black handlebar tape and paint the pedals black. A spray paint is not gonna be as durable as the touch up paint I used. Just clean pedals well before painting.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Keep the Purple!

I like the purple with the black...to round things out, if you could find a deep purple seat bag, you'd be all set. The bike looks like it has slightly oversized tubing--is that the case, or just an artifact of the photo?

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Andy M-S said:
I like the purple with the black...to round things out, if you could find a deep purple seat bag, you'd be all set. The bike looks like it has slightly oversized tubing--is that the case, or just an artifact of the photo?
It must be the angle of the photo. It believe that it had Columbus Tenax tubing.

Here are some more photos, before I cleaned it up.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=52885

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
stick with the marble bar tape. keep the look pedals , don't paint. you have just enough color. it's ok not play it safe with bike colors. i like the rat rod look of your bike. purple rims would make it flash though..............

1 - 20 of 30 Posts