Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm so stoked on fixed gear riding. i'm a student and for some reason keep talking about fixed gear riding. all the kids i talk to don't seem to understand why i love having a fixed gear. i try to explain the training benifits, nothing. i explain to them the uniqueness of fixed gear riding, nothing. i tell them that i don't need conventional breaks, nothing. i try to explain that it is hard core, nothing. i think it is really funny that people have no idea why someone rides fixed.
are most of the people using this site track racers or are you guys just loving the uniqueness of fixies? i'm on the MSU triathlon team and one of my buddies is going to do a triathlon on his ghetto fixed gear bike he made. that kicks ass. i'm just home on a friday night drinking homebrew and wanted to vent on how people just don't understand how fun a fixed gear can be. hope all of your weekends are filled with riding and fun. hasta luego cabron!!!!

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,268 Posts
Most here like riding fixed on the road, but I don't know how many have raced track. I raced track in the early 90's as a 3 and occasionally race now. Fixed on the road is the most fun though. I ride it in fast group rides, so a front brake is a must for safety and survival. I'd recommend one for campus survival as well.

Don't worry about what others are missing out on. Just enjoy each ride enough to make it the best ride you've ever had.

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,498 Posts
I'm trying to get my mind around why a person would want to ride a single speed bike, with a coaster brake only. When I was a kid I couldn't wait to get my first BMX bike with caliper brakes, then after high school, a MTN bike with 18 speeds and cantilever brakes. Now with my own money, a cross bike with 18 speeds and disc brakes, It just doesn't get any better. From what I have been able to get from reading the forum, it is just being hard as nails and proving you can do it as well on a single speed bike.

Are there other reasons you would want to go this way?

Thanks
Sledge

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dude, i don't know if you are joking or not? coaster brakes!!! our bikes are fixed gears. that means that there is no freewheel. you can't coast! to slow down you have to either skid (i know some people say that is not stopping.) or back pedal really hard to slow your self down. riding single speed builds you cadence, improves leg strength and is just a lot more fun than riding with multiple gears. you should try it. if you don't love it, i'm sorry. but i ride my fixed gear everywhere and love riding it. i still have a road bike and mountain bikes but i love riding my fixed gear the most.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Sledgehammer03 said:
Are there other reasons you would want to go this way?
The main reason is that it's fun. The next reason, for me, is that it's more exercise, either on my commute or in riding with friends who normally ride a bit slower than me. After that the "reasons" are more rationalizations, than reasons, and include liking the simplicity of it, liking the ease of maintenance, liking the spinning, etc. But mostly, it's because it's fun.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Don't try to explain, dtimms

There are a hundred different ways to explain the appeal, including many shades of mysticism, Zen, etc. (I'm a little prone to stray off into that territory myself, but I'm a child of the Sixties, so it's probably just flashbacks). In the end, it's just fun (for some people) to ride the things, and who the hell knows why anything is fun. Some people try it and don't get the appeal at all, and that's cool, too.

I'm pretty sure that the stuff about "training benefits" never converted anybody, and trying to sell it because it's "hard core" is just going to come across as obnoxious to many folks. Just tell 'em it's a different kind of fun to ride a bike that makes you keep your legs moving the whole time. If they tried it, some would like it, some wouldn't. To quote the great philosopher Sly Stone, "different strokes for different folks."

Keep on spinning.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Reason alone can never explain some things.

Some other activities I've liked that are incomprehensible to many people

Lifting free weights
Solving NY Times crossword puzzles
Running longer distances than "enough to stay in reasonable shape"
Spending time with teen-agers

All these things come with some difficulties and none of them feel easy or comfortable much of the time. I have come to believe that if you devote an hour of most days to doing something difficult just for the fun and challenge of doing it you will be healthier mentally and physically. The challenge can be mental, spiritual, physical, whatever as long as it's hard and you like doing it. Fixed gear riding is one of my fun challenges. The relationship between my body and the riding makes it fun, getting up and down hills makes it challenging.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
It's not about fitness, it's not about being hardcore, it's about the simple and sublime pleasure of removing all variables other than wheels, pedals, legs and heart.

I think it was Louis Armstrong who, when asked by a reporter to define jazz, replied, "Man, if you got to ask, you ain't never gonna get to know."

Word.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
I'm a little prone to stray off into that territory myself, but I'm a child of the Sixties, so it's probably just flashbacks
You know what they say, don't you? If you can remember it, you weren't there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good points made by all. i feel much more at ease. bianche joe, that is one of the most insightfull comments about fixed gear riding i've heard in a long time. thank you.

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
Yup.

BianchiJoe said:
"Man, if you got to ask, you ain't never gonna get to know."
Well said. But the real question for dtimms is why the need for external validation? Who cares if you already do.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'm trying to find external validation to overcompensate for my lack of self esteem. i need other people to tell me i'm cool so i started this thread. since then i have realized that i am cool and gosh darnet people like me!!!!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Kids today ...

It's easy enough to point to a few advantages of having a fixie for certain purposes, but it's often hard to explain why something is fun. Ya know, they can try the pistacchio ice cream or not, but they're not gonna enoy it as the conclusion of an argument. If they want to stick to rocky road (yech), then it's no skin off my back.

Certain more basic things folks seem inclined to try all on their own.

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
Well I like you . . . .

dtimms said:
i am cool and gosh darnet people like me!!!!
. . . but don't let it go to your head.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts