Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, when I was out riding, I had some people in a pickup pass me. They slowed down so the guy in the passenger compartment could spit on me. As they drove off, I could see three mountain bikes hanging over the tailgate. They were on their way to the top of the hill.

It is especially gratifying when people like this are fellow cyclists.

Around here, it is fairly rare for anyone to do this kind of thing, let alone other cyclists.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Gotta suspect that calling those individuals "cyclists" is really generous. Okay, just flat erroneous. Maybe they bounce downhill on a two-wheeled, gravity-powered vehicle (there's certainly no human power going on when it's all downhill), but their behavior by definition excludes them from the cycling community, in my opinion.

Sorry that happened to you. If it makes you feel better, a blue-hair tried to right hook me today, but now that I think of it, dodging a bright red econobox is probably easier than dodging airborne saliva....

·
Registered
456 Posts
I don't consider mountain bikers cyclists. Your post confirms by bias.

Did you find their truck at the top of the hill?

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 10 year old full-suspension mountain bike. Lately I have been "mountain-biking" with my road bike (which I ride from my house to the trailhead), but have done plenty of recreational (albeit non-hard-core) mountain biking. I've driven the bike thousands of miles to get to trails in places like Utah, but have never been driven to the top of a hill just to ride down it. I don't think you can lump everyone who mountain bikes together.

No. I did spend a lot of time thinking about how best to vandalize it with the few tools I brought with me. Unfortunately I didn't have any sugary beverages to put in the gas tank, nor a valve extractor.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,955 Posts

There are cyclists, and then there are idiots/jerks-on-bikes. The later greatly outnumber the former in the USA. By probably 10:1

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have a 10 year old full-suspension mountain bike. Lately I have been "mountain-biking" with my road bike (which I ride from my house to the trailhead), but have done plenty of recreational (albeit non-hard-core) mountain biking. I've driven the bike thousands of miles to get to trails in places like Utah, but have never been driven to the top of a hill just to ride down it. I don't think you can lump everyone who mountain bikes together.
Oops. Just to clarify, the behavior I was talking about was the spitting on you, not the bouncing downhill.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
That was outright assault. Report their plate to the police and see what happens.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That was outright assault. Report their plate to the police and see what happens.
Unfortunately, I don't have the plate, because my evil wife nagged me into leaving the camera you recommended at home.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't have the plate, because my evil wife nagged me into leaving the camera you recommended at home.
What could possibly have been a sound reason to make you leave your camera at home?

·
Registered
456 Posts
So you think you woulda had time to fetch your camera from wherever and snap a pic as the truck drives by?

Hmm...

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What could possibly have been a sound reason to make you leave your camera at home?
Did you not see the word "wife" when you asked the question?

So you think you woulda had time to fetch your camera from wherever and snap a pic as the truck drives by?

Hmm...
Nope, but often I video the whole ride, with my handlebar-mounted Sony action cam.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Did you not see the word "wife" when you asked the question?
I just don't get why she wouldn't want you to have the one thing that could find your assailant in the event you were seriously injured or killed.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just don't get why she wouldn't want you to have the one thing that could find your assailant in the event you were seriously injured or killed.
Unfortunately, there is but a single logical and inescapable conclusion: she wants me dead, and plans to execute me via car.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
“total and complete shutdown of Mountain Cyclists entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what is going on.”

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Unfortunately, there is but a single logical and inescapable conclusion: she wants me dead, and plans to execute me via car.
My wife keeps increasing my life insurance and buying me black cycling jerseys and outdoor power tools like a chainsaw. I hear you...

1 - 20 of 67 Posts