Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... but aren't. You know there probably are some. I was talking to my dad, who mentioned Paul Harvey. I said, "but he's dead." My father insisted "no he isn't" and lo and behold, dear ole dad was right.

Or what about folks you didn't know were dead. Every year at the Oscars when they show that "In Memoriam" thing I'm going "I didn't know he/she died..."

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
jtolleson said:
... but aren't. You know there probably are some. I was talking to my dad, who mentioned Paul Harvey. I said, "but he's dead." My father insisted "no he isn't" and lo and behold, dear ole dad was right.

Or what about folks you didn't know were dead. Every year at the Oscars when they show that "In Memoriam" thing I'm going "I didn't know he/she died..."
Keith Richards should be dead.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
How about this?

I walked into an elevator a few years ago and was ready to say hello to H, someone with whom I had worked but who had been dead for about 5 years. I knew that H was dead; I went to his funeral. The person in the elevator not only looked like H, but had his distinctive gait when he walked off of the elevator. I was so taken aback by this that I made a few calls. Sure enough, H had a brother who was not an identical twin, but could have passed for one. It definitely scares the sh!t out of you when you see the dead walking in front of you.

·
Banned
7,890 Posts
MarkS said:
I walked into an elevator a few years ago and was ready to say hello to H, someone with whom I had worked but who had been dead for about 5 years. I knew that H was dead; I went to his funeral. The person in the elevator not only looked like H, but had his distinctive gait when he walked off of the elevator. I was so taken aback by this that I made a few calls. Sure enough, H had a brother who was not an identical twin, but could have passed for one. It definitely scares the sh!t out of you when you see the dead walking in front of you.
cool!!

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
il sogno said:
Harry Dean Stanton. Dead or alive???
still alive AFAIK....born in 21 so that makes him 85.

·
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:

I think he died last year... which I may have learned on the Oscars. No?

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts

·
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Harry Dean Stanton I guess falls into the Paul Harvey category for me. I would've sworn he was dead!

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts

·
off the back
15,319 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
currently being seen in Big Love on HBO.

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
5,887 Posts
Cheetah from Tarzan.

Cheetah the chimp from the Tarzan movies of the 30's and 40's turned 74 this week. That's one old ape. And how did he get the name "Cheetah" anyway? Was Tarzan that near sighted?

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Well

Turtleherder said:
Cheetah the chimp from the Tarzan movies of the 30's and 40's turned 74 this week. That's one old ape. And how did he get the name "Cheetah" anyway? Was Tarzan that near sighted?

When I was a senior in High School, someone started a rumor that I had been killed in a car accident. I was home for a few days with bad case of the flu, and I got more friggin flowers/cards and phone calls.......It was nice to know I was so popular but jeez. My mom was a little bent over it though, wasn't too happy with the crying girls calling saying they were sorry I died....LOL.....;)

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
physasst said:
When I was a senior in High School, someone started a rumor that I had been killed in a car accident. I was home for a few days with bad case of the flu, and I got more friggin flowers/cards and phone calls.......It was nice to know I was so popular but jeez. My mom was a little bent over it though, wasn't too happy with the crying girls calling saying they were sorry I died....LOL.....;)
Did they base the movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off on you? :D

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
Weirdly enough, after my second year of Junior High school I'd been hit by a car
on the second or third week of summer vacation. Well, a bunch of people saw me
get hit and started a rumor that I'd died.

When I came back to school in the fall it was like coming back from the dead -
people were freaking out left and right. It was totally weird because it was the
first I'd heard of it - people spent most of the summer thinking I'd died. "Greatly
exagerrated, yes."

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Did they base the movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off on you? :D
No, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...:rolleyes:

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Almost hit on the cheerleader of my dreams 20 yrs later

MarkS said:
Sort of a similar story, still gives me chills...or dry heaves, or something.
Right after high school, I dated a cheerleader I'd graduated with.We only went out a couple of times, then I went into the Army. I saw her just once more, in a supermarket about five years later, and about three years after that I read that she was killed by a drunk driver.
Fifteen years later, back at school for an alumni day. I was sitting in the cafeteria lost in nostalgia, talking with a bunch of kids. They all drifted away but one, a cheerleader, who asked a lot of questions about my job and how I got there, stuff like that.
It took a few minutes, then I realized she was a dead ringer, really almost identical, to Priss, the woman who'd been killed, and she was really cute....
I was laughing at myself for imagining, even for a second, that I was still in the high school game at age 38, when she said she felt like she'd met me before and asked if I was "a friend of my parents or something."
Too late to make a long story short, but it turned out she was Priss's daughter, which explains the resemblance. But I'd never met her father or stepmother, and she was born at least a year after the last time I saw her mom. I don't believe for a second it was anything but coincidence, but it would make a "Twilight Zone" episode....

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
jtolleson said:

Is Abe Vigoda finally dead?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts