Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
smell my finger
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sort of a newb when it come to cycling only having been doing it for fitness the last 4yrs or so. Anyway I'm trying to find out if there is a perfect gear, like I've heard a 42-20 is a sweetspot. The reason why I'm asking is caused I was gonna get a tattoo of the big ring on my right calve and the small ring on my left calve, like looking at the drive side of the bike. Did I open up a can o worms or?

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
No such thing. Take your 42 x 20 gear: great loaded touring gear on the flat, good climbing gear on not-so-steep hills, usable gear for sight-seeing on the bike, lousy gear for fast riding, totally inappropriate gear for time-trialing, ridiculous gear for racing a flat criterium. :)

·
smell my finger
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea gotcha, I live in the northeast and on my 29er ss I run the 42-20 and do spin out on the flats when I commute but I manage most of the climbs. Some people run the 42-18 but seems steep to me, it's all what you can suffer through...

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
lablover said:
I'm sort of a newb when it come to cycling only having been doing it for fitness the last 4yrs or so. Anyway I'm trying to find out if there is a perfect gear, like I've heard a 42-20 is a sweetspot. The reason why I'm asking is caused I was gonna get a tattoo of the big ring on my right calve and the small ring on my left calve, like looking at the drive side of the bike. Did I open up a can o worms or?
Are you kidding? Tatoos? Permanent "Cat 4 Marks?" Whatever for? You have to be "trolling" for reactions here.

Generally, riders are somewhat careful to avoid getting those 'oily badges of a rookie rider' on their legs...and some will see them on another's leg and think..."Lookout, here is a Dufus who can't keep his legs out of his own chain"

Why not get a "triple" tatooed onto yourself? You have three "legs" if you are a guy. Might be a bit painful getting the 'inner' one done though.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
There's no universal perfect gearing. Otherwise, after 100+ years it would have become standardized. Perfect gearing depends on the person's condition and riding style and where he's riding. Even at the same speed on level ground without wind, riders aren't like synchronized swimmers, and each will be riding a different gear at a different cadence.

For your needs, you should give more consideration to the artistic proportions than the technical details.

·
smell my finger
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well didn't start the thread to get reactions to the tat part but thanks dad and moms. I wanted to see what gearing ss riders were using to commute and such, I'm not gonna get something awful looking, artistic ability is also huge. Just doing some initial research..

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
That gearing is perfect if you're a wimp. If you want all the chicks to dig you, then tattoo the monster gear on your calves. The one that lets you haul arse....

or try http://www.54x11.com/ The sprinters paradise.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I personally run a 42-18 gear set-up on my fixed/ss 29er but that's just me. Alot of people consider 63 gear inchs the "classic" for single speed or fixed geared bikes.

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
lablover said:
Well didn't start the thread to get reactions to the tat part but thanks dad and moms. I wanted to see what gearing ss riders were using to commute and such, I'm not gonna get something awful looking, artistic ability is also huge. Just doing some initial research..
SS riders use any number of gearing setups for "commuting and such". I've been known to use 44x18, 44x16, 42x16, etc. depending on the parts I have available, my route and many other variables.

You want chainring tattoos? Check out this:
http://www.blackbirdsf.org/chainwheels/

·
Larry Lackapants
696 Posts
lablover said:
how about a complete bike with a radical gear -
http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/ar...idding-for-hour-record-again&mlc=news/article

or you could also tattoo graeme obree on top of it - without the man on top, it's just a funny bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts