Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I know you guys all buy the expensive stuff, but I have good luck with Performance Elite bibs. I think they normally sell for about 60 bucks a pair. They are on sale for somethig like $34, so they are a good deal.

They are the ones with the thin fake chamois -- not the diaper.

Thought you would like to know.

· Registered
237 Posts
I am not a velo-duds snob, but...

Performance-branded stuff usually gives you about what you pay for, and sometimes a bit less. For similar $ you can get basic bibs from Voler (USA made) that fit and wear better, and you don't have to deal with "Performance" lethargic order processing.
Velowear.com I think.

jplatzner said:
Yeah, I know you guys all buy the expensive stuff, but I have good luck with Performance Elite bibs. I think they normally sell for about 60 bucks a pair. They are on sale for somethig like $34, so they are a good deal.

They are the ones with the thin fake chamois -- not the diaper.

Thought you would like to know.

· Registered
8,116 Posts
elvisVerde said:
Performance-branded stuff usually gives you about what you pay for, and sometimes a bit less. For similar $ you can get basic bibs from Voler (USA made) that fit and wear better, and you don't have to deal with "Performance" lethargic order processing.
Velowear.com I think.

Actually, a few years ago, performance sold a pretty decent bib- their top end model. It had the blue pad.

· Banned
1,844 Posts
I like mine as well....

I've got 2 pairs of the 2005 ultra bibs- they're 2nd only to my assos shorts. Only issue w/ them is how they're wearing out from contact w/ the saddle. But- the joy of performance- save the receipt and send them back when they get too threadbare w/ a letter complaining about quality compared to other bibs I own and they'll replace them.

· Registered
805 Posts
Mdeth1313 said:
I've got 2 pairs of the 2005 ultra bibs- they're 2nd only to my assos shorts. Only issue w/ them is how they're wearing out from contact w/ the saddle. But- the joy of performance- save the receipt and send them back when they get too threadbare w/ a letter complaining about quality compared to other bibs I own and they'll replace them.

Tacky, dude.

· Banned
1,844 Posts
not really--

pdainsworth said:
Tacky, dude.

not really tacky at all- DUDE- if they were of the quality performance loves to claim they are, they wouldnt wear so quickly! FYI- I've never had ANY bibshorts I've owned start wearing like this after wearing them only a few times.

But hey- I'll be tacky, but I'll get my money's worth.

· Well-read hooligan
118 Posts
rensho said:
The ultra bibs are on sale right now for 2 for $94.
love these things ... wish assos or castelli fit me better (tried them both - no go). Apparently the performance ultra's fit best. Hate the logo, love the shorts. (wonder if I could scam some little scorpoin stickers? grin). Didn't notice the killer deal on bibs - performance trip for me tomorrow...

· What the Hell is going on
6,032 Posts
For those with ASSoS bibs et al

For those of you who have the more expensive bibs (i.e. Assos) how often do you use them? I rotate 3 bibs and one pair of shorts for all my cycling needs. I ride 4 to 5 times a week. Most of it is commuting. Club racing on Saturdays and, hopefully, when I have the day off, a long ride on Sundays. I like Performance Elite bibs (with the blue chamois) and for 34 bucks and some change I think they are an exceptional value. They usually last until the next 34 dollar bib short sale comes around!

· Banned
1,844 Posts
I love my ASSos bibs because they keep my ASSos comfy

say what you want- I finally had the extra money and went w/ 2 pairs of f1 uno bibs by assos. They're all I've been using on rides over 50 miles. Performance ultras are pretty good (compare the chamois to demarchi bibs) - I just got a pair of descente aero x pros- havent tried them out yet.
bottom line- my butt never gave me any trouble- I ride between 5000 and 6500 miles a year- last year I started having trouble- the better the shorts fit, the less trouble I had. So far I've learned you do get what you pay for, if you do the research.

· What the Hell is going on
6,032 Posts
How long do they last?

Mdeth1313 said:
- I ride between 5000 and 6500 miles a year- last year I started having trouble- the better the shorts fit, the less trouble I had. So far I've learned you do get what you pay for, if you do the research.
How long do your Assos last? I usually get a my Performance Elite bibs to last about a year (ususally I get them to last longer if I hand wash them but lately I've been lazy). How long should good quality cycling shorts/bibs last?

· Banned
1,844 Posts
depends....

on which ones. I've only had the assos shorts since feb, but the guys I know who own pairs have had them for years. I just sold a bunch of used team kits on ebay from 2000-2001. Giordana, biemme bibs were still in great shape.
The performance ultra bibs seem to wear a lot quicker than anything else I've owned.

· Registered
58 Posts
A pair of Performance elite bib shorts (purchased in September) were my favorite shorts for fit until a seam chafed enough to cut me on a six hour ride. Not long afterward a different seam unravelled. I'll probably send them back, debating for credit or replacement.

Voler shorts last forever, though the chamois is a bit thick. They've changed the chamois recently so I'm not sure I like them as much, but they still appear long lasting. Pearl Izumi also wear great.

I had a pair of (very expensive) Assos shorts several years ago that lasted about two months, won't waste money on them again.

Mark

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.