Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What have people's experience been with a frame warranty with Performance Bike?

I have a Scattante carbon fiber frame from the end of 2010 with a crack under the seat post clamp in the frame. Paid $1771.88 for it but they are only offering $700 for it saying its been more then a year. I would say that doesn't live up to their:

100% satisfaction guarantee. Nobody beats our risk-free guarantee: If you don't like it, return it for a replacement or refund. No time limit. No hassle. No kidding.

I mean Trek has a lifetime warranty so obviously better. :(

Should I expect better or is that a fair offer?

·
Registered
472 Posts
You paid $1700 for the frame or for a complete bike?

To quote their site "After one year, we'll provide an exchange, repair, or store credit to ensure you have the product that meets your needs."

A $700 credit for a generic carbon frame that's 6 years old is pretty generous if you ask me. A crack under a fastener (seat post clamp) would get you nothing at all from most companies.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Should I expect better or is that a fair offer?
I think you should always hope for better, and you can 'expect' better, but honestly, their offer is pretty good.

I'd be willing to bet there is some fine print that goes along with their 100% satisfaction guarantee. The fine print explains that THEY will be satisfied, not you =p

As far as Trek's frame warranty, a lot of companies claim to have lifetime warrantys, but rarely do they live up to them, as witnessed by the countless threads on this form where people have been told "That's not a warranty issue".

If you think about this from their perspective. Hhow do they know you didn't take out the seat post and tighten that clamp down too tight, just to crack it on purpose so you can get a replacement? That is the problem with these no-questions-asked return policies. There are always people out there who will abuse them, and the companies have to protect themselves from that.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
You paid $1700 for the frame or for a complete bike?

To quote their site "After one year, we'll provide an exchange, repair, or store credit to ensure you have the product that meets your needs."

A $700 credit for a generic carbon frame that's 6 years old is pretty generous if you ask me. A crack under a fastener (seat post clamp) would get you nothing at all from most companies.
+1... I have to agree. You never factored in depreciation of the bike either. After all, you likely made you r money's worth back in the first year. Bikes depreciate quickly, so $700 for a 2010 Scattante carbon bike that sold for less than $2,000? Sounds like Performance is being more than generous. I bet if you were to find one for sale online from 2010 in excellent shape, it would go for around $5-700. Some big name brand bike companies would offer you that same amount for a carbon frame of that age that cost as much as your entire bike new. Kudos to Performance for standing behind their product. I'll strongly consider them for my future bike purchases.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The ~$1770 was for the full bike not just frame. So the $700 is for giving them the whole bike so can't just buy a new frame and transfer parts onto it as I won't have any parts to put on it.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I still think it's a deal. People generally buy these bikes for their parts, not for their frames.It's a safe bet that most people buy these as a way of getting components for their ideal build. They have a bike to ride until they save up for that frameset they want, then they swap the components over. The frame can probably be had for around $200 used. Since it's from 2010, unless you have Dura Ace, you're running old 10 speed gearing and it's used to boot. Price still sounds fair. Look around at used CFRs. I'm sure they're going for around that much. They really are great bikes, but they also don't have the cache the many others bring to the table. Kinda hurts resale value further on a product that's already known for poor resale value.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Still a good deal. Considering they have a Fuji Altamira w/an Ultegra 11sp mix listed for $1400 and it gets dbl points for members this weekend, that credit they are offering will go a long way towards a MUCH better bike with completely new componentry.
Have you even asked about a crash replacement frame discount?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts