Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My eye coverage plan does not start until June. I plan on getting the most sensibly priced pair of sunglasses then, but I'm really noticing how much I need Rx sunglasses after wearing my eyeglasses for an entire week (I always forget to wear them).

Anyone use any nashbar / performance bike glasses?

I'm edging on a pair of performance radial II's since they have a monolens + adapter. This will be a good everyday + stopgap sunglass set for the price.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=15253&subcategory_ID=2510

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=15254&item=20-1295&slitrk=search&slisearch=true

Any opinions or other experiences with Rx products from these two brands? (we'll get to the other brands in a few months :) :) :))

·
(not a real racer)
482 Posts
i have some of the Performance Cat1s and they've lasted me for about a year with no problems at all. Can't speak to the Rx part tho but my wife uses contacts and regular ol' sunglasses with no problems.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AidanM said:
get conatcs, and then use any glasses you want riding.

i like giro haviks.
I'd sacrifice my first born to be able to wear contacts. Twice in seven years I have tried contacts for about a week each time. It felt like my eyes were on fire/could not stop twitching/burning sensation/the whole gamut of anxiety problems with stuff on your eye. Just not a candidate.

I could 'caine my eyes with some kind of numbing drops every time, but that would be a terrible life to live just for contacts.

P.S. The new giro's are pretty swanky :D

·
Registered
531 Posts
My glasses have a prescription insert that snaps in behind the sunglass lense. I don't particularly care for them, as the prescription portion doesn't stay in it's holder very well, especially in cold weather. Sometimes I wear contacts, but my eyes do dry quickly when cycling. In the not too distant future, I'll get a pair of prescription cycling sunglasses and be done with it.

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
lalahsghost said:
I'd sacrifice my first born to be able to wear contacts. Twice in seven years I have tried contacts for about a week each time. It felt like my eyes were on fire/could not stop twitching/burning sensation/the whole gamut of anxiety problems with stuff on your eye. Just not a candidate.
Don't give up. There are so many different things a good, patient, eye doc will try with you before giving up. If you didn't try at least several different brands and/or water content varieties of lenses then you might do well to find another doc and try again. When I first tried them it took about 3 pairs over 3 weeks before the guy nailed it.

Here is another tip. A good eyeglass place can usually cut and mount standard grey tinted lenses into most regular full-frame sunglasses. Prior to contacts, I had a local eyeglass guy that had a whole wall of inexpensive Bolle and Vuarnet glasses. He stocked the kind with very, very, basic lenses in them since all we would do is pop them out and have prescription lenses put in. Most places say they can't cut the lenses but he used to say "BS, all I need is the original lens as the template". Sure, they weren't as cool as really expensive glasses but they are much less bulky than the kind where you snap in your prescription behind the shield. Call around and see who is willing to do this. Could be far less expensive and comfortable than you think.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I have these: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=12905&subcategory_ID=2510. I like them a lot. Pretty easy to change lenses. Like someone said above, if you could wear contacts it'd be much easier. I tried wearing hard contacts, then gas permeable. I felt like there was a small stone in each eye. I now wear Acuvue IIs. They're soft disposable lenses that look like a piece of saran wrap. No problems with them at all. YMMV.

·
I didn't even own a cat..
594 Posts
is lasik an option? I had it done and have had no problems in 3.5yrs.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ncvwnut said:
is lasik an option? I had it done and have had no problems in 3.5yrs.
Maybe once I pay off student loans or have a decent job ~_~

I plan on trying contacts in a few years if my prescription changes... I wish they were much easier for me, but i have heard that people adapt to them after several years of intermission inbetween.

Rudy seems to have some nice glasses too, so I may do a bit more research...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.