Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I used to spend a lot of weekends at TWS for track events. The 2.9mi layout is an entire bucket of fun and then some. Is Jack still running the events there?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Years ago I did a 2-day session at Skip Barber's school, using the track's 5-litre Mustangs. It was the most fun I think I've ever had with my clothes on.

·
Ricardo Cabeza
19,736 Posts
weltyed said:
i would love to do a driving school. but i doubt my stock mazda3 would like it.
It would be fine.

Those guys with the super powerful cars don't actually learn how to drive. They spend all their time learning how to keep the big powerful car on the road.

With your little car, you can push it closer to its limits without getting into too much trouble.

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
so, what did you drive?

//spent all weekend at the NASA (not the space folks) national championships. fun stuff, but didn't take more than about 3 pics.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
The Viper actually handles very well as long as you know how to handle the power of it. It is considered a drivers car and is the reason that many of the A$$hats that buy them wrap them around telephone poles so often. Had a chance to to track a friend of mines car and it scared the crap out of until I got used to it.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
rward325 said:
The Viper actually handles very well as long as you know how to handle the power of it. It is considered a drivers car and is the reason that many of the A$$hats that buy them wrap them around telephone poles so often. Had a chance to to track a friend of mines car and it scared the crap out of until I got used to it.
I saw Tommy Archer driver the factory Viper at VIR two years ago. Wow. But it's really not a car that should be put in the hands of most people.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know Jack. :) TWS ownership has changed hands and I'm not sure who the head honcho is now. Misty Cain runs the show for the PDS events.

I didn't drive in this event. Hoping to have my own car soon. Looking around at some older 3 series. A couple friends own Miatas and are trying to convince me to go that route to save $.

A mazda3 would be more than capable for a PDS event. You only have to push it as far as you're willing. We see quite a few stock street cars out there. There was a Mazda6 driving the Porsche Club event a couple weeks ago. Bone stock. Even had the soccer mom sticker on the back. Give it a shot. It's fun and a good way to really get to know your car and it's capabilities/limits.

I've seen both sides of the Viper issue. Some guys can really whip it around and others are just painfully slow. But that's the purpose of the school: to teach you how to drive. The Ferrari was very quick on the straights but only average through the twisties. I talked to the driver and he didn't sugar coat it: "I don't want to tear it up so I don't push it too hard." So that very well could be an issue for many of the slower drivers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts