Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read in an old thread that Performance changed their chamois in the Elite bibs. What is in them now? Is it a stretch chamois? Also, how do you like the Ultra bibs ? I was considering getting a pair of either for training days. They are both on sale. Has anyone had good luck with the Voler bibs with the Ion pad? Thanks in advance.

Mark
 

·
What the Hell is going on
Joined
·
5,887 Posts
Vouch for the Elite

I haven't tried the Voler bib shorts but I can vouch for the Performance Elite. The Ultra bibs chamois is some sort of sponge-like material whereas the Elite is more of a "traditional" synthetic chamois. Personally, the Ultra feels like I'm wearing a diaper but I'm not to conscience of it that much. The Elite bibs are on sale for $34.97. That's a steal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Just a warning about performance clothing. IME, it doesn't last nearly as long as other clothing. I bought a pair of perf. Century shorts and PI Quest shorts at the same time about 3 years ago. The PI ones are still going strong, but the gripper-tape on the cuff of the perf. shorts gave out about 3 months ago, so it seems to me that you get what you pay for. I've also noticed similar trends with their gloves and arm/leg-warmers.

3 years isn't too bad, but I'd still opt for the Voler gear (also got two pairs of those a little while ago... one died in a wreck, but the other set is still comfy and holding together very well)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,270 Posts
Voler Elite with Ion pad are my favorite Bibs.

I haven't used Performance clothing in a long time (since I started buying Voler). I have several pairs of the Elite Bibs with the Ion pad. They are my favorites for long rides, you don't even notice the pad being there. It is pretty thin, so if you like a lot of padding its not for you, but it is really smooth and holds up well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
I've been using the Perf. Century shorts for about 2 months with very good success. Of course I did notice the front stitching starting to come undone a bit today on a ride (90+ degrees, headwind that shifted direction as I did, avg 20 mph). All in all though I don't mind as they cost me $20 on sale when I bought them during spring break. An added benefit is that when my parents see my quickly deteriorating cycling clothing they'll be head over heels to replace it, for safety you know.
 

·
Resident Curmudgeon
Joined
·
13,390 Posts
I like Performance clothes, too. I haven't had any quality, fit, or other issues with them. IMO/IME, they're inexpensive, and pretty darn good.
 

·
What the Hell is going on
Joined
·
5,887 Posts
For Non Perf users

How long do the Volers (or other non Performance shorts/bibs) last? 2 to 3 years of constance use sounds pretty good to me @ $34.97. I have three pairs of bibs and one pair of shorts that I rotate throughout the week. That's 52 weeks a year for 2 to 3 years. Seems like a good value.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,274 Posts
Performance bibs

JaeP said:
How long do the Volers (or other non Performance shorts/bibs) last? 2 to 3 years of constance use sounds pretty good to me @ $34.97. I have three pairs of bibs and one pair of shorts that I rotate throughout the week. That's 52 weeks a year for 2 to 3 years. Seems like a good value.

That's what I thought. I just got my first two pair of bibs ever, and love the fit!

I will say to watch out for the sizing, it seemed to be smaller than they say on the website by a size. I also found out, much to my chagrin, that if the seams of the 8-panel shorts cross into the chamios (instead of running along the outside of the chamios) the shorts are MIGHTY uncomfortable! Sorry about the description, but I hope y'all get the idea.

EM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,317 Posts
thoughts

mvnbykes said:
I recently read in an old thread that Performance changed their chamois in the Elite bibs. What is in them now? Is it a stretch chamois? Also, how do you like the Ultra bibs ? I was considering getting a pair of either for training days. They are both on sale. Has anyone had good luck with the Voler bibs with the Ion pad? Thanks in advance.

Mark
I really like the pad on the Perf Ultras. It is quite elastic and the stitching of the pad to the shorts is moved far away from any contact points or points of movement. I think the stitching is of lesser quality than some other shorts but its OK. I have tried the Volers with the Cantera pad. The Volers are very well made but I do not like the Cantera pad. Putting stitches in the chamois is just a really bad idea. I can't see from the Velowear site if the Ion pad resolves that. I'd be interested in hearing more about the Ion pad from folks here. A picture would be helpful also
 

·
For president!
Joined
·
7,851 Posts
mvnbykes said:
I recently read in an old thread that Performance changed their chamois in the Elite bibs. What is in them now? Is it a stretch chamois? Also, how do you like the Ultra bibs ? I was considering getting a pair of either for training days. They are both on sale. Has anyone had good luck with the Voler bibs with the Ion pad? Thanks in advance.

Mark
The ultra bibs have the gray, slightly squishy chamois in it. Has some stretch.

The 2nd tier elites have a traditional multi piece chamois, no stretch I believe.

Performance has changed suppliers as of 2 years ago or so. Also updated production methods after the first season with their new supplier. Just for those who have had some quality issues in the past, some may be better now,

Silas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
I was going to say something about PerformancePeople...

but with your info about changing suppliers, I am forced to withold my comments. Not that I am likely to buy clothing from Performance any time soon, but you have got to think that things are more likely to have gotten better than worse.

To OP et al: the Voler high-end bib is on sale, at least to email customers.




SilasCL said:
The ultra bibs have the gray, slightly squishy chamois in it. Has some stretch.

The 2nd tier elites have a traditional multi piece chamois, no stretch I believe.

Performance has changed suppliers as of 2 years ago or so. Also updated production methods after the first season with their new supplier. Just for those who have had some quality issues in the past, some may be better now,

Silas
 

·
What the Hell is going on
Joined
·
5,887 Posts
One more thing . . .

Bibs (Performance or other brands) have the added benefit of "tummy control". Granted it's slight but every little bit helps when passing a whole flock of chicas on bikes.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top