Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
I want a Road Bike :)
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
performance elite & ultra shorts sizing help

Hi everybody!

please, if somebody have experience with this shorts sizing HELP ME!

I searched for "performance shorts size" and others, and read them, but its more bib related and I'm about to buy maybe 5 ( mon - fri :) ) because I'm going to commute to work again....

so I need some cheap (but not crappy) shorts.. lots...

some info you may not care about, but may help

height 5' 9", waist 30" (deep breathe, with belly out.. 31) inseam 32", weight 145lbs

why I'm asking for size help?

because in the performance page some ppl wrote reviews saying that they are wrong sized... (also in our review section ) one guy said that the M size is like 24-28 and other said its like 30...

should I go with M size, according to performance is 32-34 , reviews said 28-30

or should i buy L, performance size chart 36-38 ??

please if you have any experience help, because I'm buying at least 5 shorts, maybe more...

yes, the most intelligent thing I could do is to buy 1 and try them, but I cant, because I don't live in USA and I cant go USA every weekend..

buying in my LBS, done that and failed! for the $30 im about to spend in perf's elite i could buy a really crappy p.o.s like a cheap lycra swimsuit with foam padding...

I know that some may say that I better buy 1 pair nice shorts, but I cant afford to spend $150+ on 1 shorts, better buy 5 * $30

in advance THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! :D

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have the performance bibs and am about the same size as redliner ~ 33/34 waist. I use the mediums. FWIW, they are supposed to be tight fitting (compression shorts). They are tightest when new, and relax a bit after a few wearings, though still snug enough.

·
Registered
534 Posts
use the performance chart. I read some of those same reviews, in fact there are a lot of comments for all their clothes about them not being the right size, I think it must be a case of people thinking they are a medium when they are a large!

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
I'm close to your size,

but a bit shorter and thicker: 5'7", 145 lb, 32" waist. I haven't bought those models, but I've worn many pairs of Performance Century shorts, which I suspect are sized the same (they all use the same chart). The mediums work perfectly for me, so I don't think you'd want to go to the larger size.

I have found these shorts to be a great value.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I have two pair of Elite bibs and three pair of Ultra shorts. They all fit tight in the legs. I would not call these 'crappy shorts".

You could also go to the Volerwear site and see what they have have sale. The Volers are one of my fav's.

Bibs and shorts should fit tight, once you get them hikked up the Performance should fit fine in size M for you. You could always order one pair and see how they fit them order some others...

·
I want a Road Bike :)
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you

thanks to everybody who replied, and maybe will reply to this thread later...

very helpful, Im ordering tonight, I guess Im going for the cheaper elites, for daily commute, and ultras for not-so-long weekend rides....

Dinosaur said:
You could always order one pair and see how they fit them order some others

Dinosaur, i think you skipped this: :D

mtymxdh said:
yes, the most intelligent thing I could do is to buy 1 and try them, but I cant, because I don't live in USA and I cant go USA every weekend..

buying in my LBS, done that and failed! for the $30 im about to spend in perf's elite i could buy a really crappy p.o.s like a cheap lycra swimsuit with foam padding...

yes, this is the best option the issue is that i live outside USA, (about 136Mi) and now and then i go there to buy some things i cant get here, or i get them cheaper... so i cant go there just for 1 shorts... what i could do is to ship them to my uncles house, and wait for 2 weeks so he can bring them... try the shorts and if they fit order more...

but this would be like 3 to 4 weeks and I cant wait thaaaaat long.....

edit: i read what i wrote.. dont think im going to drive 136 just for some bike shorts... i need to do other things also, and the GF likes to go shop

again THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!:D :D :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm very similar build to you. I am 5'9" & 153#. By measuring tape 30" around naval, 31" relaxed, 32" where I wear my pants (eventho I can wear 30" pants, that I still don't get).

Anyways, my Medium elite II bib shorts just came in. They fit fine but I'm one of those in between sizes ppl. :mad2: Compared to my other verge medium shorts it just fits different, the top is a little more loose and my junk is not pulled up into my groin as much. My verge shorts top is more snug and I feel a little pull on my shoulders but the elite II's not as much. Also, hanging them next to each other, the elite II's are like 2" longer.

I'm just easing myself into the racing scene. I'm not sure if I should exchange for a small or stay with the medium. They say small is for 28-30 and med is 32-34". I've read tighter is better as it applies more compression to muscles to prevent more fatigue???? Should I go for a tighter fit or stay with this medium still snug fit? Any insight?

I usually line dry my shorts. Will they stretch or shrink?

Sorry for the lengthyness just really not sure what to do :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I have Elite bibs and Ultra shorts. The Ultra's seem to fit very tight in the legs. If in doubt go up a size. Both are good, the Ultra's are very nice. You might look at the veolwear gear. I like them better. Sometimes they have killer sales.

·
All natural
369 Posts
I have the Ultra bibs which I like very much. I am 5' 8" 160 lbs. Size medium, which I thought were too snug at first, but after wearing them - they are just right.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
IMO, IME these are terrific bibs. In fact, they're pretty much all I wear. I've found the sizing on their web site to be right on the button.

·
Registered
21 Posts
it might be a year old...and fortunately you guys noticed and everyone here in can post and consider the dates...but/and....i hope more post b/c i too need help as i suspect many do. i'm 6 on the nose and a 35-36 waist (depends on the meal plan hehe). i'm going to buy a L and ill post on the fit later.

regards

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.