Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to order road tubes. It is very convenient for me to order a 10 pack from Performance. With my last batch, there seems to be a problem. While pumping or reading pressure with my gauge, a few of them ripped at the valve stem. I am wondering if the extra long valve stems act as a lever thus putting more pressure on the valve causing them to tear.

Opinions appreciated

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,126 Posts
I've been using the 48mm ultra lite tubes with my box rims without issues. Even their regular tubes with same valve stem length has been fine. Might check the valve hole opening in the rim to make sure there aren't any burrs causing problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
I had the same problem. Probably about half a dozen now. No more. I switched to Michelins. The cost savings is not worth it. All mine were the regular length stems.
The last straw was the time I had a flat, found the glass and proceeded to change the tube only to have the stem pull on the new tube. Oh well, back apart it comes, patch the flat tube, and poof... it pulled too.
 

·
RoadBikeRider
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
I have had many, many Performance brand tubes pull apart at the valve stem. I thought I was causing it but switched brands anyway and it has not happened once. I am finished with Perf brand tubes forever. That was the standard weight tubes, others may be okay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,009 Posts
I've also had problems with Performance tubes, but three problems; the valve stem pulling out of the rubber tube; the guts of the presta valve coming shooting out; and with the their thorn resistant tubes with the valve also separating. The latter it looked like the valve was laminated on and it split at one of the laminations and started leaking. I'm going to check out PricePoint as someone else mentioned. Also I started to buy Fuji tubes from Performance, still reasonable $4.
 

·
Resident Curmudgeon
Joined
·
13,390 Posts
I used to use Performance tubes and never had any issues with them. I use Michelins now because they have threadless stems, which, IME, are easier to inflate, easier to remove the pump from the valve, and easier on the pump head. The issue I've been having lately is with the valves themselves. Recently I've had a a bunch of them where you can remove the valve core just by pulling on it. I go to inflate the tire, loosen the valve by unscrewing it, and it comes right out in my hand. I've also had tubes that after I inflated them, I pulled the pump head off, and the valve core came with it. I'm just guessing about this, but I'd say that i've had 4-5 do that this year. Me no likee when that happens!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,431 Posts
It's funny - this year I've run "light" tubes (not super, duper light, just called lightweight). I've used two brands, Michelin and Forte (Performance). About the same weight. I've had much better luck with the Fortes. It could have just been a bad batch, but both of the Mich tubes I bought have plagued me with tiny holes of unknown origin. I finally gave up on them. I've used the Forte tubes on the same tires/wheels (two different sets), with no problems other than when I ran over a big piece of windshield glass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
daniell said:
I need to order road tubes. It is very convenient for me to order a 10 pack from Performance. With my last batch, there seems to be a problem. While pumping or reading pressure with my gauge, a few of them ripped at the valve stem.
Opinions appreciated

Thanks
Ditto for me too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,863 Posts
I've read (on this forum) that Performance changed their supplier on the house brand tubes. I have not used them since. I just bought some Fuji tubes on sale, I have yet to use them.

I bought ten tubes at my LBS and they gave me a break on the price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
daniell said:
I need to order road tubes. It is very convenient for me to order a 10 pack from Performance. With my last batch, there seems to be a problem. While pumping or reading pressure with my gauge, a few of them ripped at the valve stem. I am wondering if the extra long valve stems act as a lever thus putting more pressure on the valve causing them to tear.

Opinions appreciated

Thanks
I encountered the same problem with performance tubes. The tubes would split where the valve stem is attached. Performance sent me a few extra, and they failed too.

It's not worth the hassle to save a couple of bucks. I now use Conti tubes which I buy in bulk from whichever online vendor has the best price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,485 Posts
Picshooter said:
I had the same problem. Probably about half a dozen now. No more. I switched to Michelins. The cost savings is not worth it. All mine were the regular length stems.
The last straw was the time I had a flat, found the glass and proceeded to change the tube only to have the stem pull on the new tube. Oh well, back apart it comes, patch the flat tube, and poof... it pulled too.
I agree, it's not worth the pain you get when purchasing no-name tubes. Stick with the known brands of tire makers and you should good luck.
 

·
Matnlely Dregaend
Joined
·
5,046 Posts
I also just bought some Fuji tubes... I'd love to hear feedback on them. Whenever I buy tubes I'm guaranteed not to get a flat until I lose or give away the ones I bought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Ive tried 2 types of tubes from Performance lunar lights and ultralights. ultralights have been great to me, but on the other hand lunar lights OH MY **** GOD all 3 flatted on 3 different day all in a row. After walking home 3 times I decided to bring an extra tube and purchase a mini pump. Wow did i feel like an idiot for purchasing lunar lights :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,431 Posts
SleepyNinja said:
Ive tried 2 types of tubes from Performance lunar lights and ultralights. ultralights have been great to me, but on the other hand lunar lights OH MY **** GOD all 3 flatted on 3 different day all in a row. After walking home 3 times I decided to bring an extra tube and purchase a mini pump. Wow did i feel like an idiot for purchasing lunar lights :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:
And you don't feel like an idiot for not carrying stuff to fix a flat? Three times? Just yankin' your chain, but do people really ride without any way of fixing a flat tire? what's the rationale?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Camilo said:
And you don't feel like an idiot for not carrying stuff to fix a flat? Three times? Just yankin' your chain, but do people really ride without any way of fixing a flat tire? what's the rationale?
Yes I still feel like an idiot for having to walk 10 miles home.Yes I did hehe... and all 3 of those times I had to walk home. The last one finally made me carry a tube, pump, levers cause walking 10 miles wasn't fun I also ran out of water that day. I had to try my luck lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,838 Posts
SleepyNinja said:
Yes I still feel like an idiot for having to walk 10 miles home.Yes I did hehe... and all 3 of those times I had to walk home. The last one finally made me carry a tube, pump, levers cause walking 10 miles wasn't fun I also ran out of water that day. I had to try my luck lol.
10 miles in cycling shoes???? Damn! The only time I don't carry the flat fix stuff is when I am lazy, I am not going far, my fiancee is home, and I have my cell phone.
 

·
I'm workin' on it....
Joined
·
255 Posts
I've been using Giant brand tubes for the same reason Mr. versatile likes the Michelin ones-the threadless stems are easier to get the pump head on and off from. Haven't had any problems with the Giant tubes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,844 Posts
I wait for Michelin tubes to go on sale, and then buy a bunch of them. All other tubes suck, IMHO. I hate threaded tubes and Michelins are about the only brand without threads. The threads will literally tear up the valve on your pump, and it is well worth the extra cost for Michelins to avoid that problem. Why do they even put threads on tubes? It's like some sort of leftover relic from another era.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top