Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried the performance ultra bib shorts? These are the ones that have the elastic type material in the chamois.

·
pinoy thunder
341 Posts
blw said:
Anyone tried the performance ultra bib shorts? These are the ones that have the elastic type material in the chamois.
I have two pairs. I wear them all the time when I don't wear my team kit. Very comfortable fabric and chamois. I've used them on centuries. Great bibs for the money. My only gripe about it is pilling on the inside of the legs. Maybe I get that because I pedal slightly "knees in".

·
Registered
168 Posts
blw said:
I bought them based on some surprisingly good reviews here on the RBR product review section. The sewing quality wasn't very good, with some loose threads hanging here and there, and the quality of the lycra material wasn't as nice as other high end stuff like PI Microsensor. I think the material that makes up the bib section is too heavy - it's not the white, very sheer stuff, but the thicker black lycra material. This is fine in cooler weather, but my abs tend to get too sweaty on hot days.

That said, the elastic chamois material is really nice and comfy. It's really the best part of the short. It's not proprietary to Performance, and I've seen it on shorts by Bergamo and Kraft. I got my performance bibs for a little over $50. They're nice for that price. Pay more and the cheap stitching and material are a knock. My current favorites are some Sugois, but those are over a hundred, and I'm at that point where I just don't want to buy cheap shorts anymore. When it comes to shorts especially, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Never really liked the lyrca that Performance uses...

Or rather, the company that makes the shorts for Performance uses. Has a different feel to it. I also found the quality to be a little suspect. I used to buy from them because it was difficult to get my clydesdale sizing elsewhere.

I pretty much only ride Voler bibs now (www.velowear.com). I'm on their email list and at least once a year they have them on sale for about $45. Recently got them for $40. I like the fit and feel of the Voler's, but the pad doesn't last long.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have 3 pairs and I think they are decent for the money. Yes there are a few stray threads here and there but for the most part they are a decent pair of bibs.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I picked up 2 pairs (the shorts, not bibs) when they were having a "buy 1 get 1" sale, so I got them both for around $60. For that price, I could not be happier! Way better than similarly priced PI's.

I agree that the sizing is a little strange, and quality is suspect. My suggestion: join the velowear.com mailing list and buy their bibs when they go on sale. Quality and fit are top-notch. Best value in cycling.

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
Performance stuff

I have a pair of bibs and shorts from Performance. I think the are the "elite"? They are really good for the money. I use them for training. I think Performance changed their shorts over the past year or so. their high end shorts wee about like PI's mid range without the $$. Like another poster said, you get what you pay for. Sometimes dealing with Performance is a lot worse than paying for quality at the LBS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts