Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered cycling parts from all over the world from various websites and have never experienced an issue until now.
My latest order was from performancebike.com and apparently they can not confirm my address with my credit card company so they are unable to send the goods.
On first reading you may think that is sounds fair but just have a read of the email exhange I had and make up your own mind.
Following the last email I called the bank and they have never been contacted by PerformanceBike to verify my address. What is even worse is that the bank will not give a verbal confirmation so the performanceBike process is fundamentally flawed, the bank will only confirm via fax or email.
I really find it amazing that a company can make it so difficult to deal with that a customer has no option but to cancel an order.

Read from the bottom up:

Dear Mr. Killmore,

We was able to contact the bank but they will not give us any information. The order has been canceled per your request.

Regards,
Amber
Customer Service

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 7:00 PM
To: CustomerService
Subject: Re: order 5381951

- Hide quoted text -
This is becoming ridiculous!!!
I have ordered from numerous international websites and have NEVER experienced this issue. You have provided no information as to what is the actual issue:
Are you unable to contact the bank
Are you able to contact the bank but they wont give you the information?
Are you able to contact the bank but the information does not match what I provided?
I understand you are trying to protect against credit card fraud but when a process becomes so prohibitive to your customers what is the point of persisting with such an error prone process.

I will not be issuing a money order and unless you can provide an alternative solution you can cancel my order.

I can not believe that I am the customer and I have to be the one chasing you to give you money!!!

Extremely dissatisfied,
Lloyd

On 5/22/08, CustomerService <[email protected]> wrote:
Dear Mr. Killmore,
Thank you for your recent order with Performance. We are unable to ship outside the continental US without address verification for the cardholder. The bank was unable to provide this information. The order has been cancelled. If you would like to replace the order, please mail in an International Money order is US dollars to the following address.

Performance, Inc.
PO Box 1605

Crab Orchard, WV 25827-1605

Please contact us for the shipping charges before sending a money order. Thank you.

Regards,
Amber
Customer Service

Dear Mr. Killmore,

Thank you, the email has been forwarded. We will get in contact with you when we receive any information.

Regards,
Amber
Customer Service

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2008 6:35 PM
- Hide quoted text -

Subject: Re: 5381951

- Hide quoted text -
You can contact virgin credit card on +613 63451419. Please let me know how you go.

Regards,
Lloyd

On 5/20/08, CustomerService <[email protected]> wrote:
Dear Mr. Killmore,

For us to process an international order, we have to obtain verbal address verification from the issuing bank. Do you have a phone number that we could contact?

Regards,
Amber
Customer Service

Sent: Friday, May 16, 2008 7:17 PM

Jennifer,
I am not sure what you want me to do? If the bank is unable to verify my billing address then is there an alternative process for verifying the address?
I also thought that verifying the address was part of the credit approval process, that is, the approval of the funds would not have gone through if the billing address did not match.

Please let me know what I need to do to have this order shipped.

Regards,
Lloyd

On 5/17/08, CustomerService <[email protected]> wrote:
Dear Mr. Killmore,

The order has not been cancelled; the order is currently on hold. Performance's policy is that international orders can only be shipped to the billing address and the address must be verified by the issuing bank. The following information is provided on our website under shipping information:

Please Note: International orders will be processed and shipped once billing address verification has been obtained. The package must be shipped to the billing address, this verification must be verbally received from the card holder's bank. Your confirmation does not reflect international shipping charges. You will receive an e-mail with shipping options and quotes for your approval. Your order will be processed when we receive a response indicating your shipping choice and approval of charges.

Please advise how to proceed with the order.

Regards,

Jennifer

Customer Service

Sent: Friday, May 16, 2008 12:28 PM

What do you mean the order has been cancelled? I have payed for the goods and I expect them to be delivered. I have ordered from international websites befoee and never experienced these problems.

On 5/17/08, CustomerService <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Mr. Killmore,

Thank you for your recent order with Performance. We are unable to ship outside the continental US without address verification for the cardholder. The bank was unable to provide this information. The order has been cancelled. If you would like to replace the order, please mail in an International Money order is US dollars to the following address.
Performance, Inc.
PO Box 1605

Crab Orchard, WV 25827-1605

Please contact us for the shipping charges before sending a money order. Thank you.

Regards,

Amy

Customer Service

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
That's why I only order things from my own country. To many details and problems that are possible. That's to unfortunate, Performance has always been great to me...but I live in the states.

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
Honestly, I don't think Performance is in the wrong here. This is just a way to prevent fraud. Nothing like them sending out goods based upon a called in credit card and then finding out the card was stolen and there is going to be a charge back. What was your order amount? If it was $25, then I can see you being upset. If it was a ton of money, then I'll have to side with Performance. Plus, your first e-mail comes across somewhat rude.

How about taking it up with your bank? Why wouldn't they provide verbal confirmation? How about doing a conference call with you, the bank, and Performance Bikes on the line assuming that work hours worked out for everybody. I wouldn't just blame Performance on this one, but maybe look to your bank as well.

I had a similar issue to this one for a plasma screen TV that I bought my parents for Christmas. I was shipping it straight to their house, so I had to contact my credit card company and list their house as a valid shipping address on my account. I think a lot of vendors check this stuff out on high dollar purchases.

·
Roadbike Rider
1,293 Posts
I also order from numerous etailers and ebay sellers based both in the US and the UK for delivery to Canada and have not had this problem.

I understand your frustration. They have exactly the same exposure in selling to a US customer so why the anti-Canada policy?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I agree with some of your points, but:
  1. They never tried to contact my bank
  2. They provided no other alternatives other than a money order, which is ridiculous
  3. I have ordered from many safe websites before and they are the only one with this issue
  4. I thought part of the credit approval process was to check the address. The credit card company wont approve the funds if the address is different.

I have no doubt that Performance Bike is not the only one to blame, my issue was that they just seemed so unhelpful and almost happier to cancel the order than try to sort it out.

·
Home Brew User!
2,812 Posts
astro9boy said:

I have no doubt that Performance Bike is not the only one to blame, my issue was that they just seemed so unhelpful and almost happier to cancel the order than try to sort it out.
You never stated how much the order was for. How much effort to you expect them to go thru for a single order?

Seems to me they were very polite and professional.

Find the stuff somewhere else.

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
You probably weren't talking or e-mailing with the right person. I had a similar issue with them over a pair of Sidi shoes I wanted to buy. I had forgotten to enter a coupon code for an additional 20% off the sales price, so I called a custmer service rep to see if she could change my online order. She told me it wasn't in the system yet, and that I would have to wait a couple of hours for it to enter the system before she could change it. I explained that the coupon would expire at 12:00 noon and that would be in less than 2 hours. She said they would honor the sales price and the coupon when I called back. I tried calling again within an hour to try and get this resolved before the coupon expired. The order still hadn't hit their system. During this time, I noticed that the shoes were no longer on sale and were back to their $229 regular price. Anyway, when the order was finally in the system and I spoke to a customer service rep about it, she gave me the run around, told me they couldn't give me the sale price on the shoes because the system was showing the shoes at $229 and not $199 like I told her they were, and she told me that she couldn't honor the coupon anymore because it had expired. Well, I really wanted the shoes, so I took the ad to their retail store down the street and they sold them to me for $199, but the coupon was only good for internet orders so I didn't get the additional 20% off. I was pissed, but I took the shoes anyway since $199 was better than $229.

Next, I wrote a letter to corporate headquarters. Luckily, I had all the paperwork showing that my online order had been placed before the 20% coupon expired and while the shoes were $199. I explained that I had cancelled my order when I couldn't get the additional 20% and that I had bought the shoes at the retail store instead. About a week after I sent the letter, somebody from customer service contacted me via telephone, reimbursed 20% of the $199 price of the shoes, and then gave me another $20 in member points to be used at the retail store or online. In the end, everything worked out, and you can bet that I named names of the customer service people I had spoken to the day I got pissed off.

Between this transaction and their accepting the return of 2 pairs of Forte pedals after I had used them for a year, I will probably shop at Performance for quite a while. Sad thing is that they don't carry a lot of the stuff I like.

By the way, the dollar amounts and exact facts of the shoe transaction might be a little off, but they are close enough.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The order was for $230 including postage.

How much effort to I expect them to go through?
Well given they have basically done nothing other than tell me they can not confirm my address and send me a generic email telling me they have cancelled my order a lot more.

At the end of the day I am a potential honest customer trying to buy goods through their website and the only thing stopping me is their bad processes, so how is this my issue? Just because it is not face to face it does not mean a company can ignore customer service. If I had of gone to their store in person and tried to purchase goods I can assure you that they would have offered further assistance.

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
It is easier to pursue a matter in the US than in another country. Performance probably has a corporate attorney that has a presence throughout the US and could deal with it a little easier than an out of country matter. Matters between states are tough enough for small law firms.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tell you what, I will give performance bike the benefit of the doubt and supply them with both the fax number and email address where they can confirm my address and see if they will help.
I will report back once I have a response.

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
Always go up the chain of command. Always ask to speak to the "manager" in charge of the person you are speaking with. Sometimes, the customer service rep behind the phone can be a moron.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
You admit that your bank cannot provide verbal verification, yet are all hot and bothered at Performance because it allegedly never contacted the bank. I think it did contact the bank and the bank could not provide verbal verification as per its own policy that you verified. In any case, whether it did or did not contact your bank, your bank is the problkem, not Performance.

There could be various reasons for the verbal verification requirement for orders outside the US, but not in the US, including possibly among them, insurance and enforcement issues.

Perfromance is my favorite online and in store retailer. It takes anything back for any reason. It truly stands by its 100% satisfaction guaranteed policy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tschai,
I understand your point but what other option do I have? I have 3 credit cards all from different companies and none of them will give address details over the phone (ironically they are trying to protect against fraud).

I have no doubt performancebike.com is a great company for those who can actually buy something but I am just a little bemused that an online store is unable to cater for international customers, after all isn't that the power of online trading.....

I would also like to add that I have ordered from several major american online stores including towerhobbies.com and have never experienced these issues. So if performancebike.com want to go the extra mile when trying to prevent fraud then perhaps they should go the extra mile and try to assist a customer who simply wants to buy something.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Policy is formulated because....

Someone got burnt and Performance obviously has been singed a few times on international purchases. Also, your bank was doing it's job by protecting your privacy, which is a big deal here in the US these days. Performance did not make this mess but they MUST watch out for their best interest and that is verify all address info on international orders.

Be fair about it, do other big web etailers in US have same policies in place? Just asking, like Excel, Colorado Cyclist anyone else big enough to send out a catalog?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Arrogant Roadie Prick said:
Someone got burnt and Performance obviously has been singed a few times on international purchases. Also, your bank was doing it's job by protecting your privacy, which is a big deal here in the US these days. Performance did not make this mess but they MUST watch out for their best interest and that is verify all address info on international orders.

Be fair about it, do other big web etailers in US have same policies in place? Just asking, like Excel, Colorado Cyclist anyone else big enough to send out a catalog?
Colorado has the same policy.

Jim

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have been in the card industry for 10 years. International orders have a much higher rate of fraud than domestic because there is NO international address verification when transactions are authorized. Most big e-tailers have automated velocity checks in their system to protect themselves (i.e. if the order is over $xxx and is shipped overnight, don't ship the order) but they cannot match your delivery addy to your billing addy.

Performance has probably taken significant fraud loss on intl orders and has tightened their rules. Unfortunately you got caught in the net.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.