Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does Strava suck so bad? I got goaded in to joining a group on Strava and while competing for saddle time is fun, what the hell does Strava do with my data? At least 1/2 of my elevation data is disregarded, for example, a 38 mile ride today shows up as ZERO elevation, and I know for a fact that the ACTUAL, CORRECTED (via SRTM, (Shuttle Radar Topography Mission)) was 1909 feet of climb. I tried inputting the data 2 different ways, directly via cateye Stealth 50 and via gpx file collected by a REAL gps unit, not even a cyclocmputer with the same results. (Garmin Legend hCX)

On many other logs, the results are either the same or, for example, on a 25 mile ride, it disregards the first 7 or 8 miles and the last 7 or 8 miles, while keeping the actual track point data (the whole router shows up properly on the analysis and map)

Even Endomondo is more accurate than Strava.

Anyone have a clue what might be going on? Am I doing something wrong? (nope no privacy zone or security)

I have attached 2 screenshots, one of Strava and one of the real data (SportTracks)

Attachments

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have a solution, but I do see the source of your problem:

:)
Yeah but I got convinced by a pretty lady..... And I am a sucker for that...

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
avoid strava
it makes you dope

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
And what part of that answers my question? I have been through their help pretty thoroughly and cannot find a resolution (include being unable to edit my elevation data.
"If your activity was recorded with the mobile app or with a GPS device that does not have a barometric altimeter, Strava will recalculate the elevation by comparing the GPS data to an elevation database. We do some smoothing to the data, which includes discarding outliers to reduce noise. The amount of smoothing is more on activities without barometric data than it is for activities with barometric data. The accuracy of this calculation is dependent on your GPS data as well as the accuracy and resolution of the database for that region."

You live in a place with almost no people. I don't see strava's financial motivation to quickly update/correct the issue where you live.

Since you are the only guy to do that segment, you may want to delete the pictures in your OP. That is unless you don't care about revealing PII on the internet.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
ToG, what device do you record your rides with?

As Crit Boy suggested, the GPS and Altimeter function of the hardware has a significant impact on your reported elevation.

Elevation data has always been a point of angst for many riders using computers and phone apps. I know people who will do a group ride. Exact same route, and will get dramatically different elevation results depending on the hardware.

Generally speaking, phones are terrible at Elevation. Garmins and other similar unit's are generally better at it, but even they are not perfect.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Did you try doing the elevation correction? Although in reading the below it looks like your ride won't have that option (no barometric).

"The data recorded by my barometric altimeter is wrong, can I correct this?

If you suspect that your elevation data is incorrect, you can request an elevation lookup. Click on the "Elevation?" text under the elevation statistic in the overview (shown below). A dialogue pops up with a button to "Correct Elevation." This button will only appear for data collected with a barometric altimeter (or in rare cases where a previous automatic elevation correction failed.) After a short while, the "Calculating" text will change to "Updated," and if you click on "Updated" your page will refresh with the new elevation data. While it is possible to revert back to the barometric data, this will require your activity to be reuploaded and you will lose any kudos/comments on that activity."

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gone over to the dark side, has he....
Il Sogno made me, it's all her fault.....I told ya, I'm a sucker for a pretty girl....

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Did you try doing the elevation correction? Although in reading the below it looks like your ride won't have that option (no barometric).

If you suspect that your elevation data is incorrect, you can request an elevation lookup. Click on the "Elevation?" text under the elevation statistic in the overview (shown below). A dialogue pops up with a button to "Correct Elevation." This button will only appear for data collected with a barometric altimeter (or in rare cases where a previous automatic elevation correction failed.) After a short while, the "Calculating" text will change to "Updated," and if you click on "Updated" your page will refresh with the new elevation data. While it is possible to revert back to the barometric data, this will require your activity to be reuploaded and you will lose any kudos/comments on that activity."
Yes, try this. On the page for your activity, press the question mark next to Elevation and it should give you an option for Strava to attempt to correct your elevation, and it will probably change from 0 to something bigger as long as there is GPS coordinate data for the ride.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
ToG, what device do you record your rides with?.
I use both a Cateye Stealth 50 and a Garmin Legend hCX (redundancy is a good thing when one fails) My garmin is in my back pocket and is incredibly accurate with listed accuracy to 5 feet most of the time. I KNOW what my elevations are because SportTracks is outstanding with the elevation correction plugin. I have been using SportTracks for over a decade now and I have the utmost faith in it

and since I do not have a barometric altimeter, I do not get that option

Yes, try this. On the page for your activity, press the question mark next to Elevation and it should give you an option for Strava to attempt to correct your elevation, and it will probably change from 0 to something bigger as long as there is GPS coordinate data for the ride.

Not an option, see above

edit: killer is that SOMETIMES, it uses part of the elevation data, sometimes NONE. If I ride south of town, I have no problems, but getting there , it doesn't record. That has to be dependent on known segments because there are almost 800 employees at Trek and a LOT of them ride at lunch time or commute. I guess I can just write it off to Strava not giving a rats ass about the riders up this way

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here you go...

mount on handlebars and use to plot elevation.

do they sell them on amazon....lol

I don't need Strava to log or store ride data, I can do it VERY accurately and easily with SportTracks. My current phone doesn't have a barometric altimeter but I believe my old one does, hmmmmm wonder if I could record a gpx file with it. I have been avoiding buying a new GPS but perhaps a barometric altimeter would make it worth it?

·
すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
5,846 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Interesting.

If you use Strava's 'route builder' function (website), if you create a route in the area you are talking about, does it show zero elevation?

If so, on the bottom of the left side menu, there is a map pin icon with an exclamation point in it. You can use this to report problems with map data.

I've successfully used this to get map data update to reflect new roads, and to add gravel paths connecting two roads.

I've never paid too much attention to elevation, but maybe they can correct your zero elevation problem?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Interesting.

If you use Strava's 'route builder' function (website), if you create a route in the area you are talking about, does it show zero elevation?

If so, on the bottom of the left side menu, there is a map pin icon with an exclamation point in it. You can use this to report problems with map data.

I've successfully used this to get map data update to reflect new roads, and to add gravel paths connecting two roads.

I've never paid too much attention to elevation, but maybe they can correct your zero elevation problem?
I actually contacted support.... Got no response yet. Elevation is really important to me, considering that I have over 142,000 for the ytd (2345 miles) and 197,417 for my 3774 miles last year. I LOVE HILLS... Quite frankly, it is the only place I really have an decided advantage. I am old, tired and little! 5 foot 5, 125 during the season.

People don't believe WI has hills, but we do, also, I am not FROM WI, I am from PA, and PA has honest to gawd hills! I will give you work around a shot, really nothing to lose.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts