Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So wait...if this stuff is for efforts longer than 2 hours, and it goes bad after 3, when whats the point?

Or a less snarky way of asking......How do you use this stuff? Im thinking pre-mixing and leaving a bottle of it on the bike for the second half of a 4-6 hour ride aint gonna work!

·
Iohannes fac totum
3,151 Posts
RkFast said:
So wait...if this stuff is for efforts longer than 2 hours, and it goes bad after 3, when whats the point?

Or a less snarky way of asking......How do you use this stuff? Im thinking pre-mixing and leaving a bottle of it on the bike for the second half of a 4-6 hour ride aint gonna work!

If I need a second bottle, I'll throw some in a ziplock bag in my pocket. :thumbsup: Or if you're racing and have drop stations, leave one bag there.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
According to their website: Ideally, it should be within 3-5 hours, with up to perhaps 6-8 hours (depending on the temperature) being the longest we recommend.

Since temperature is the determining factor, perhaps some ice and/or an insulated bottle is the ticket. Or maybe try freezing it the night before, which is another one of their suggestions.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
If you're riding for that amount of time you'll have to refill your bottles at some point, regardless of what you're drinking.

The evidence for whether protein+carb is better than carb alone is ambiguous. But if you believe that protein is good, wouldn't it be better to start out drinking it, instead of waiting four hours?

A (dry) gel flask is a good way of carrying powder in your jersey pocket. Just measure the right amount for a water bottle, and mix it when you need it.

·
ReviewBikeRoad Member
1,368 Posts
I use Perpetuem and will freeze it in an insulated polar bottle the night before I need it. Hammer says that freezing for a day or so ahead of time is OK and their studies show little breakdown of anything important in the drink.

I find in a polar bottle the drink will stay good for around 4 or 5 hours or so out in the warm air, if it was frozen solid the night before. I found that mixing it right before I need it, using a lot of ice, it will only last about 3 hours before going bad.

You could also always fall back at that point to other energy sources that don't require refrigeration, of which Hammer has a few choices as well. Or just pack a ziplock baggie of the powder and mix up a new batch when you need it, if you have more water available.

·
Registered
98 Posts
here's what I do:

• add perpeteum to water bottle with only a minimal amount of water the night before
  • On day of ride add ice cubes to make majority of bottle volume
  • top off with water
  • shake

I have gone through both perpeteum bottles on long training rides. If you think you will need protein after the perpeteum runs out then pack some hammer bars or pro bars, either has some protein and fat that is good for the later stages of a long training ride.

With an extra bar in your jersey pocket, you can simply refill your bottle with water to complete the ride...

your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tried perpetuem. Too much hassle!

Gels, white bread vegemite sandwich (with the edges cut off), chews, energy bars, bananas etc. Fast & easy.

Racing marathon events is hard enough without having to worry about mixing a new bottle of miracle powder X every N hours.

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts