Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and who would be responsible for a flat?

I had to travel somewhere overnight for business. I opted to stay down there since it was ~75 miles, and I could get more productive hours if I didnt spend 2.5 hours in traffic coming home both days. ANyways, I ended up with a piece of shrapnel in one of my tires. Tire indicator came on (run flats). Stopped 20 miles later... plugged it (those cheap arse gummy plugs).

Now, Run flats are supposed to be replaced after a flat occurs. I have one shop that will fix it as long as you didnt run on it while flat. I did, and since this piece was kinda large, I would think a repair is iffy.

Anyways. Lets say the tire is toast. Do I have any ground to stand on asking my work to cover a new tire? (~$200-350)

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Expense it and see what happens. It will largely depend on how cool your boss is and how well you sell it to the accountants if necessary.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Most companies pay the IRS limit for personal car use. Mine pays something like 22 cents a mile. It's supposed to cover wear and tear. I'd be surprised if I would be able to put a ruined tire on an expense report. Your company may be different.

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
terry b said:
Most companies pay the IRS limit for personal car use. Mine pays something like 22 cents a mile. It's supposed to cover wear and tear. I'd be surprised if I would be able to put a ruined tire on an expense report. Your company may be different.

$0.22??? How about $0.525/mile or something in that neighborhood. I drove to an interview back in January and I got reimbursed mileage, got a check for over $500 for a 930 mile round trip.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
it's all you babe.

tip for next time: in situations like that in the past, I got pre-approval to rent a car for the trip. sometimes it actually works out cheaper vs the IRS mileage rate, and anyway you don't have to worry about stuff like that.

·
Great White North
1,139 Posts
Probably not. Unless you picked it up on a job site (and can prove it) this probably falls under maintenance for a vehicle.

What if your brakes happened to go out while on a business trip? I don't see how that specific trip could be faulted for wearing out the brakes. Not exactly the same, but tires are an item that wears during regular use..

I'd expense it anyway to see if it flies, no harm there, but I'd expect to pay out of pocket for it.

Plum

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
I had a guy try to expense a speeding ticket. Since we made radar guns and he got busted by a cop using the competitions radar he tried to pass it off as "competitive analysis".

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,425 Posts
Driver error...........................if you really wanted to, you could have missed it. If you didn't see it, you were probably high on meth at the time.

·
Registered
233 Posts
You will most likely be on the hook. As noted above, the mileage charge is intended to cover operating costs, not just gas. Double check your policy.

In general, it is a bad idea to use your personal vehicle for work. Your insurance will usually be first in line for any damages. I flat out do not let my employees use personal vehicles for certain tasks at our office - company policy is way too negative towards them to warrant using their own vehicle. Live and learn.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
DLMKA said:
$0.22??? How about $0.525/mile or something in that neighborhood. I drove to an interview back in January and I got reimbursed mileage, got a check for over $500 for a 930 mile round trip.
My company paid 22 cents a mile for 15 years, up from 20 in 1993. When gas went to $4+ a gallon, I asked about an increase "because, realistically, it's costing us at least 60 or 70 cents a mile. We're subsidizing the company." I had all the figures about the cost of operation, including tires, wear and tear, depreciation etc.
My boss looked puzzled (something she did often), then said, "I don't think it's supposed to reimburse you for the full cost."
"So then we ARE subsidizing the company?"
"No, I didn't say that. It's just not supposed to repay you for the entire cost."

As for the flat, I'd try to expense it, but if they reject it (which my company would), this isn't a good time to make a stir.

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
$.55/mi here at mega huge corp.

Bent, that $.55/mi covers complete cost of ownership, including maintenance and repairs. I do a long of short distance business trips (100-200 miles each way). I expense the milesgae, but I don't take my own car. I rent one. A 100 mile (each way) trip will pay you just over $100. If you get a cheap rental car, it'll cost you $40-$50/day plus gas. So you come out ahead and don't put any miles on your own car and don't have to worry about stuff like that. Although the one I had yesterday was in need of new brakes. Damm POS Chevy HHR. Not to throw this into PO or anything, but geezus Chevy knows how to make a craptacular car! Any we wonder why they they can't make a buck.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
JohnnyTooBad said:
Although the one I had yesterday was in need of new brakes. Damm POS Chevy HHR. Not to throw this into PO or anything, but geezus Chevy knows how to make a craptacular car! Any we wonder why they they can't make a buck.
I know! Kram didn't believe me, so now you can back me up.

It came out years after the PT Cruiser and they still couldn't get it right.

·
Registered
738 Posts
It all depends on your company's policy regarding such things. If it were me, Id be buying a new tire. I get a flat rate car allowance (600mo)+business fuel paid for, I'm certain that if I wasted a tire the boss would tell me to pay it out of my car allowance, that's what it's for.

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep... I gotta eat it.

Sucks...

I think I am going to buy a "normal" set of tires, and use the balance to buy an UBER small space saver spare, for the mini...

Thanks all

1 - 19 of 19 Posts