Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
a very silly idea.
Here's a tip....Oxygen is free. You can find it in............(get this)................Air.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MR_GRUMPY said:
a very silly idea.
Here's a tip....Oxygen is free. You can find it in............(get this)................Air.

Silly - probably not..

have you been living at sea level and doing a bike race at 5000+ ft? There is less of Oxygen!

Have you been living in Beijing where they are suffereing in fumes?

·
24,573 Posts
"have you been living at sea level and doing a bike race at 5000+ ft? There is less of Oxygen!"
Yes, silly. At 5000 ft, a few wiffs of pure O2 every half hour won't make any difference. You would have to carry a 30 pound tank that might last 20 minutes. At sea level, to 2000 ft, if you can't take in enough O2, somethings wrong with your lungs.
The key word in the article is...."SEEMS".

·
24,573 Posts
Another "old wives tale". If that was true, you could just hyperventilate and accomplish the same thing........(unless your lungs were shot)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Usually when you're that hungover the last thing you feel like is hyperventilating and there is a BIG difference between trying to get the same amount of oxygen from the air (about 20% give or take) and whatever you get from an oxygen tank (up to 100% depending upon the rate of flow? That ones a guess) plus I tend to believe a parramedic even if it is old wives tale sounding.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Not a big difference...

jaseone said:
Usually when you're that hungover the last thing you feel like is hyperventilating and there is a BIG difference between trying to get the same amount of oxygen from the air (about 20% give or take) and whatever you get from an oxygen tank (up to 100% depending upon the rate of flow? That ones a guess) plus I tend to believe a parramedic even if it is old wives tale sounding.
I'm not going to dismiss you ex's experience with oxygen and hangovers. Breathing high oxygen concentrations is effective for aborting cluster headaches, so I suppose it's not entirely implausible that breathing in high concentrations of oxygen could provide some relief of hangover symptoms beyond the placebo effect.

However, there is NOT a big difference between breathing ambient air (21% oxygen) and 100% oxygen at sea level (pretty much impossible to achieve with standard masks and flow rates with oxygen tanks). Assuming you had a normal hemoglobin level and could actually breath 100% oxygen, the increase in your arterial blood oxygen content would be less than 10% compared to regular air breathing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.