Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today Sastre completed the stage with an average speed of over 21 MPH. WOW. After all that climbing (40 mile+)to maintain an average speed of 21 is amazing. I am lucky to get average speeds of 17-18 MPH on my flatter routes... It really just shows how much and above the elite cyclists are above us meer mortals who can only dream of doing rides like he did today....

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
More perspective

Look at his time and average speed on the final climb. I don't know if you've ever done a climb approaching that (roughly 3600 feet of gain in a little less than 9 miles, average grade about 8.5%). I have a few times, and while I could do it (probably still could now), it's a slog, grinding away in a very low gear at speeds like 5-6 mph for long stretches.

Sastre, at the end of that long day with 2 huge climbs before, did the 14km (8.7 miles) in 39:31, for an average speed of about 21.3 km/hr, or 13.2 mph. Those guys are different animals.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.