Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maaan, this is unfortunate. He looks like he's ready to quit. He crashed and his knee cut is bothering him a lot... in the rain.

Hope he can continue.

francois

·
Registered
42 Posts
Petacchi's Colnago

Lots of close-up airtime for Petacchi's knee and his Colnago though- perhaps it is just a small gash in the knee attention-grabbing effort, given that he is clearly in no form to challenge for any stage wins this year, resulting in some very nice advertising for Ernesto and the Colnago crew. :)

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cascadebiker said:
Lots of close-up airtime for Petacchi's knee and his Colnago though- perhaps it is just a small gash in the knee attention-grabbing effort, given that he is clearly in no form to challenge for any stage wins this year, resulting in some very nice advertising for Ernesto and the Colnago crew. :)
Hope you are kidding with those comments.

Even at that... it ain't funny.

francois

·
Registered
42 Posts
Milram Boys

Serious pressure on his back- expectations for ale-jet are so high. The Milram train in stage 2 was reminiscent of the big blue Fassa trains of old- truly outstanding lead-out effort. Pettachi just wasn't up for finishing the job, and a crash and withdrawl soon to follow were inevitable.

·
Banned
608 Posts
cascadebiker said:
Pettachi just wasn't up for finishing the job,
Maybe he is just finding things a little more difficult than that joke of a Giro in 2004 when no one showed up to race against him and the course had half the stages designed for formulaic "train" sprinting.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
Competition has gotten better

and he must not have gotten faster. Stage 2 was perfectly set up, bravo to his squad but Robbie and Co. cooked him. Heck, Bettini outsprinted him. He's not the dominant sprinter he was in 04 when no one could come around him.

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
missed the crash because the coverage was so bad today, so i'm not sure how bad it was.

that said, i can never figure out if he's a hard man for trying to get to the finish, or a [email protected] for the 'oh my knee hurts' sighs of pain. :confused:

full props for making it to the finish line.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I'm not so quick to count Petacchi out. I'll take him at his word yesterday that he was just tired. I don't think he's reaching Milan though; stage 17 and on will see to that (neither will McEwen).

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
botto said:
missed the crash because the coverage was so bad today, so i'm not sure how bad it was.

that said, i can never figure out if he's a hard man for trying to get to the finish, or a [email protected] for the 'oh my knee hurts' sighs of pain. :confused:

full props for making it to the finish line.
dunno, every time I crash with 40+ km/h I think it hurts a bit no matter if it is serious or not. but that just makes me a kitten I guess.

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
den bakker said:
dunno, every time I crash with 40+ km/h I think it hurts a bit no matter if it is serious or not. but that just makes me a kitten I guess.
dude. i know what it's like to crash, and crash fast. whatever.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
Mcewen never makes it to Milan

he uses the Giro for stages and training. He always drops in week 3 to train for the tour.

·
For president!
7,851 Posts
sploush said:
The guy is a horse!! I read somewhere this is the worst injury he ever got in his career.
The report on cyclingnews says it may also put into jeopardy his Tour de France start.

Hopefully he is fully recovered in not too long,

Silas

G

·
Well, now we know why the Milram guys were really working to keep him moving (including teammate riding next to Ale-jet with a hand on his back or even on his bike) - he must have been suffering like a dog. He climbed the last hill with a broken knee cap - that hurts like hell just thinking about it.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I fractured my kneecap about two years ago,it hurts to band your knee as the quad muscles put tension on the padella and effectivly pull the patella apart with every step, the same happens with every pedal stroke, he could still ride out the stage as adrenaline and macho pride would have got him there but not the whole race. My doc had me off the bike for a month after that i was fine but it took me a month to see the doc so maybe 4-6 weeks of limited training, will he be in shape for the tour? maybe depends on the severity of the break and how quickly he heals. I for one hope hes there nothing better that a fast train to watch at the end of a flat stage and his team seems to be the best at it.just m opinion

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.