Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
"Registration fee is $3050."

I think I'll pass. Besides, I hear there are a lot more podium girls at his Gran Fondle.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Registration fee is $3050."

I think I'll pass. Besides, I hear there are a lot more podium girls at his Gran Fondle.
Actual can be had for $2700. Lol at the Gran Fondle.:D

I can do a lot of living with 3k.. Lots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Given the numerous adversities I have faced in my adult life, I felt this was an opportunity not to be passed up. To each their own.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
In general a Century type ride costs about $75.00 give or take. I have no interest in gawking at Sagan so I would prefer to avoid that situation. I guess I would want a patch or t-shirt and something to eat for the $75.00. Anyway I do not want to go even for free basically.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
In general a Century type ride costs about $75.00 give or take. I have no interest in gawking at Sagan so I would prefer to avoid that situation. I guess I would want a patch or t-shirt and something to eat for the $75.00. Anyway I do not want to go even for free basically.
Terrific, thanks for sharing. You must be a blast at parties. Digits, pronto.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I rode with a recently retired pro a few months back.. supported his charity gran fondo. I must of rode with him for atleast 10 miles out of 70+ side by side. He picked my brain about my bike and kit choices. What I liked and didn't like. Very nice guy.. I look forward to doing it again next year.

I highly doubt I get that kind of banter with Peter for $3k

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Terrific, thanks for sharing. You must be a blast at parties. Digits, pronto.
I went to a birthday party today and we all had fun. However I do not drink or anything so I am far from the life of a party. Almost everyone at the party is a cyclist and I did ask if anyone wanted to go on the Sagan ride and everyone said they would pass even if the ride was free.

I gave a Lezyme pump from REI as a gift. I think it was appreciated.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
I ride with a retired pro, just about every weekend, when I'm not racing, and he doesn't even charge me.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I am actually going to be in the area that weekend for my High School Reunion. I am not taking my bike and would not think it a safe place to ride anyway.

I hope the benefit ride goes well and they raise money as planned. I am sure Sagan is a swell guy for participating in the fund raiser event. Best of luck to him and the event.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Jeeze, I thought Jensie and Levi were expensive...

Edit: Ok, well, if there are going to include all of this...

Space is limited to 198 participants and this all-inclusive weekend will include two nights of high-end class lodging, fine dining, two fully supported rides, massages, and a limited edition swag bag. Registration fee is $3050. And now a message from the man himself.

... I'm still not paying $3k :p

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I went to a birthday party today and we all had fun. However I do not drink or anything so I am far from the life of a party. Almost everyone at the party is a cyclist and I did ask if anyone wanted to go on the Sagan ride and everyone said they would pass even if the ride was free.

Seriously, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. Notice I am not at all judging you for your (presumably?) thrifty choices, unlike you who all but pissed in my cornflakes with your first post.

I am actually going to be in the area that weekend for my High School Reunion. I am not taking my bike and would not think it a safe place to ride anyway.

I hope the benefit ride goes well and they raise money as planned. I am sure Sagan is a swell guy for participating in the fund raiser event. Best of luck to him and the event.
Seriously? Passive/aggressive much? "Best of luck to him and the event" as if either is reading this thread? Implication is to hell with the OP, right? Really is pathetic that my sharing a happy thing somehow got you so twisted to act like this. Done with you.

I had hoped in sharing that I was going to this would foster a conversation about A) doing once in a lifetime things, B) perhaps put me in contact with someone else who was going, C) have people from the area offer insights about the course. I certainly didn't expect to get judged/slammed for my choices on how I spend my money pursuing an expensive hobby.

Thanks to those who offered up the light-hearted digs, you guys get it.

Thinking maybe this thread should just get locked at this point. :mad:

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Seriously, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. Notice I am not at all judging you for your (presumably?) thrifty choices, unlike you who all but pissed in my cornflakes with your first post.

Seriously? Passive/aggressive much? "Best of luck to him and the event" as if either is reading this thread? Implication is to hell with the OP, right? Really is pathetic that my sharing a happy thing somehow got you so twisted to act like this. Done with you.

I had hoped in sharing that I was going to this would foster a conversation about A) doing once in a lifetime things, B) perhaps put me in contact with someone else who was going, C) have people from the area offer insights about the course. I certainly didn't expect to get judged/slammed for my choices on how I spend my money pursuing an expensive hobby.

Thanks to those who offered up the light-hearted digs, you guys get it.
I am sorry I upset you. I guess I did not realize that seeing a famous bike rider was so important. Anyway I hope you enjoy your once in a lifetime bike ride and hope you get an autograph or a photo.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
I love your 'Steven Wright' type of delivery. Makes me laugh, man.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As I'm not one of the more prolific posters on here, a bit of history as to why I am doing this:

I retired a few years ago from having worked 20+ in LE, followed that up with nursing school. During that time, my wife and I were busy raising our two autistic children, and I threw in a rare cancer diagnosis for shts & giggles. This year I started working as an RN in an ED, we both were able to finally find someone that is good (and who we trust) in taking care of our kids, allowing us to enjoy some "me" time for the first time since our honeymoon way back when.

Now, the person we found may not be as accessible as they once were, so we are both looking to squeeze in a few more hurrahs before then. Oh, and two weeks ago I got sideswiped by a bus. So, when this came up, after much deliberation, my wife encouraged me to go. That's the story, thanks for listening.

·
Administrator
13,010 Posts
Expensive, but looks like fun.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
As I'm not one of the more prolific posters on here, a bit of history as to why I am doing this:

I retired a few years ago from having worked 20+ in LE, followed that up with nursing school. During that time, my wife and I were busy raising our two autistic children, and I threw in a rare cancer diagnosis for shts & giggles. This year I started working as an RN in an ED, we both were able to finally find someone that is good (and who we trust) in taking care of our kids, allowing us to enjoy some "me" time for the first time since our honeymoon way back when.

Now, the person we found may not be as accessible as they once were, so we are both looking to squeeze in a few more hurrahs before then. Oh, and two weeks ago I got sideswiped by a bus. So, when this came up, after much deliberation, my wife encouraged me to go. That's the story, thanks for listening.

"If you save 1 person then your a hero. If you save 100 people then your a Nurse".

Good luck on your bike adventure.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Neat stuff. Nothing wrong with getting a little something back for your donation to a charity!

Sounds like a good time!!!

As a fellow human being thanks for donating so much to a charity that helps kids!!!

·
wut?
504 Posts
it's free if you routinely donate that kind of money to charity. I have several clients who do so every year.
That's really it in my mind. The people who are behind the event are smart (including Sagan). It is a fund raiser. They recognize that there is a certain demographic that will be all over this. It seems like a worthy cause. They are out to make some real money for a worthy cause. I hope it works out, and I hope those that participate feel like they get their money's worth. Sagan produces results on the race course, and I believe he will do so here as well. He wants to use is celebrity to do something good. Major kudos in my book.

Am I going? No. Not my kind of thing nor does it fit my budget. But well wishes to all involved regardless of what their motivation may be.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.