Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
ok
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... it's almost as if he will ride himself into "the most successful Poulidor" ever.
The next race will be his, for sure.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I'm not ready to feel sorry for Sagan quite yet. However, I do wish he would:

eat a bit more an hour from the finish, so that he's not desperate downing GU in the final kms, and

quit listening to his race radio, which pretty much screamed "pull! pull!" all the way to the line.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
It's E3 and not Roubaix or Flanders, so I don't think he will be losing any sleep tonight. He was in the mix in MSR as well before Gaviria's crash. I think he will be fine. We will see what he does tomorrow, but my guess is that he is trying to peak for Flanders and Roubaix and doesn't want to go into those races with an even larger target on his back. I'm not sure that's the way I would play it or the way I would like to see him play it, but I am a believer in momentum and I like the way Kristoff blew away everyone in every race he could a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Sagan had no choice but to power the breakaway; Kwiatkowski had at least Ian Stannard in the chase group so no reason to work, waiting in the wings if the break got absorbed. Sagan had no backup. He got the best outcome in his situation.

What I don't understand is, why Trek-Segafredo wasn't working with Etixx to bring the break back; Trek had no one in the break so all the reason to suck it back in. I assume Cancellara was gassed from his chase.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
It's E3 and not Roubaix or Flanders, so I don't think he will be losing any sleep tonight. He was in the mix in MSR as well before Gaviria's crash. I think he will be fine. We will see what he does tomorrow, but my guess is that he is trying to peak for Flanders and Roubaix and doesn't want to go into those races with an even larger target on his back. I'm not sure that's the way I would play it or the way I would like to see him play it, but I am a believer in momentum and I like the way Kristoff blew away everyone in every race he could a couple of years ago.
He worked himself into a nice position when he got cut off by the pile-up.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Sagan had no choice but to power the breakaway; Kwiatkowski had at least Ian Stannard in the chase group so no reason to work, waiting in the wings if the break got absorbed. Sagan had no backup. He got the best outcome in his situation.

What I don't understand is, why Trek-Segafredo wasn't working with Etixx to bring the break back; Trek had no one in the break so all the reason to suck it back in. I assume Cancellara was gassed from his chase.
Yeah, exactly! I said in the classics thread, Kwiatkowski won that race in 20-30km breakaway well before the sprint finish... Great tactical and team racing. And I think FC was gassed out and to get a 4th place finish after that race is amazing. No win, but that's watching a champion racer!

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
Could he have won on a Venge? The wind tunnel data from Specialized says it would have made plenty difference over all those miles of pulling at the front. How bad is it in other respects that he doesn't start using the "aero advantage" after a finish like this?

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
He was very careful to save his energy in the break.
Notice how often he was in a full aero tuck?
Meanwhile Cancellara kept sitting upright.
Props to Kuznetsov for being able to stay in the break and even lead out the sprint after going out alone.
Also LOL at the moto rider caught having a nature break!

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Not smart riding by Spartacus. Should have attacked 4 km out like Gerain Thomas did instead of cruising into the finishline with Sagan. Even if the attack failed, it would have weakened Sagan. But cruising to the finishline with Sagan is like asking to sprint with him. If Cancellara was pissed off, he should be pissed off at himself first!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Not smart riding by Spartacus. Should have attacked 4 km out like Gerain Thomas did instead of cruising into the finishline with Sagan. Even if the attack failed, it would have weakened Sagan. But cruising to the finishline with Sagan is like asking to sprint with him. If Cancellara was pissed off, he should be pissed off at himself first!
Tactical choices limited by ability at the time. He should've dropped them all on the last 'Berg and solo'd in like a few years ago but he worked with what he had.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
If Cancellara was in a two up break it might have been possible for him to ride away from Sagan.
He was in a break with three other very good riders. Riding away from those three would have been very difficult if not impossible.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Yep, would've needed more terrain to work with to make it even worth trying. He and Sagan were really the only ones pulling anyway. They had eliminated Etixx and Sky. They (correctly) rode their guts out for that and figured the rest put in the last km.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
this will Mark what kind of Champion Sagan is. Boonen and Fabian even while marked men in their major races still dictated the terms

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Sagan with a great ride. Smart, seemed in the right place at the right time, always. Seemed to dictate terms when it mattered most. Great race, well deserved win, 1st monument and Flanders in the rainbow.

·
Crank Addict
1,943 Posts
Sagan with a great ride. Smart, seemed in the right place at the right time, always. Seemed to dictate terms when it mattered most. Great race, well deserved win, 1st monument and Flanders in the rainbow.
It was like watching Jordan in his prime... "I'm gonna take over... NOW! This is mine, you guys go home."

1 - 20 of 54 Posts