Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are pictures of my Peugeot 753 Chorus which I have recently "re-interpreted".

When I got the frame originally in 1989 I loved the frame, but hated the paint job, and after a number of years it was replaced and hung on the garage wall. Here is what the finish was like as built.

Anyhow four years ago I decided that I would have it resprayed by Mercian - and they did a great job, but I never got around to completing the project. I got into it again a couple of months ago. I bought a lightly used Ribble SLX with Chorus components and transferes the bits. I also had the fork chromed. Anyway this is how it turned out - I'm pleased. Those Veloflex tyres though. I thought they must be 22 inch diameter - never again!!

Hope you approve.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
looks nice... did you have them put the dt decals on reversed on purpose (R on L and vice versa, so letters are leaning backwards instead of forward)?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They had just done like that,pearl white with black labels like that and I prefered the more "aero" look.

Now that's an eye for detail.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Like your new paint though I also liked the fade of the original. :) Some of the wild paint schemes of the day made it challenging to find a conservative looking bike.

Nice to see the Monoplanars. What wheels?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The wheels are Chorus hubs - 7 speed cassette - with some form of SS db spokes and Campagnolo Omega V rims.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
That's really really nice, good work. I've just got some monoplanars myself. I also own a Mercian so know how good their finishing is. Funny, the original frame almost looks larger! Optical illusion I guess.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are right Danny the frame with the original paint is just one I got off the internet to illustrate.

Talking of Mercians................

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Assume that Mercian is yours?

mj3200 said:
You are right Danny the frame with the original paint is just one I got off the internet to illustrate.

Talking of Mercians................

That Mercian prompted me to convert mine, I've admired that and others many times in their gallery. The enclosed picture is how mine was originally built. I did away with the downtube shifters and popped on some alloy Chorus 10 speed ergo's and some nice GEL280 tubulars! Rode it to work today, a real pleasure.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I whish it were; but it's not mine. It's one of the best looking steel frames I've seen though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That's really a nice paint job. I heard that Reynolds does not recommend plating on 753 tubing. Anyone know more about this?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All I know of it is that Mercian's website says you can't, but Bob Jackson has no such qualms. Nor does my local frame builder.

That Mercian would be beautiful with a chrome front and rear.

Also both my 753 and Colnago MXL frames are almost identical in weight and Colnago has polised and plated stays so................

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice job with the Chorus build. Can you tell me what the seatpost diameter is for the Chorus? I just got the same frame and I am piecing together the components.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Where did you get the new decals? I have a Pug that needs repainting

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
nicest Peugeot I've seen. love the paint and shiny parts.

well done.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Wintro, I've found various online references stating 27.0, 27.2 and 27.4. It may have to do with the fact that Reynolds later produced a 753 OS version. Schwinn used it on some of the last Waterford Paramounts. I'd recommend taking it to a bike shop and having them measure the frame.

My Puegot Chorus 753 supposedly uses a stock 27.2 seatpost, but we'll see after its reamed out and repainted. The catalog here might supply some extra info, although I was unable to find anything new on the seatpost size there: 1988 Brochure - USA . I have the same paint scheme as the Chorus shown in the photos.

Robert

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The seatpost is a 26.6 or 26.4 from memory, but absolutly not 27.2. Some floating about on Ebay from time to time.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
My late lamented Bob Jackson 753 used a 27.2 seatpost. But yes, towards the end of the run there was 753 OS.

Nice "resto" there on the Peugeot.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts