Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a two question post. I have a pair of Speedplay's on my road bike now. It is the first and only clipless pedal I've used. I've had plantar fasciitis in my right foot for almost two years and only lately is it healing to where I can cross train and run. I've wondered if the small surface area of the Speedplays might exacerbate the injury now that riding season is around the corner. Also, I've rebuilt an old road bike so I'd like to get a pair of new clipless pedals for my "nice" ride and transfer the Speedplay's to the other bike. I'm a little concerned about the amount of float on other pedals and don't want my knees to suffer. So my question is are other pedals more comfortable since they have a larger surface area to distribute the pressure on the foot or does the stiff sole on my Sidi's kinda negate this? Also, how critical is it to get the cleat right on non-Speedplay pedals so one doesn't injure the knees. Most don't have that much float. Thanks.

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
Float is good for your knees. Speedplays are the most knee friendly pedal out there that I know of. If you like your current pedals you should stick with them.

The small pedal is nothing to worry about. T cleat is as large as any other out there. If you have a good stiff pair of road shoes then there is nothing to worry about.

I think it is very important to have the cleat in the right spot. You should line up the axle with the ball of your foot, side to side should be adjusted to a position you prefer, and feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
491 Posts
second that

I have been on X-2's for 4 years now and just love thme. Even when i ride my singlespeed with shimano 959's i miss all the float from my speedplays. I think going to a different pedal may cause more issues since you are already used to having so much float. And dont buy into the contact area hype, the speedplay cleat is quite large and all the pedaling force is spread over that area, more than alot of other pedals.

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
roadboy said:
I have been on X-2's for 4 years now and just love thme. Even when i ride my singlespeed with shimano 959's i miss all the float from my speedplays. I think going to a different pedal may cause more issues since you are already used to having so much float. And dont buy into the contact area hype, the speedplay cleat is quite large and all the pedaling force is spread over that area, more than alot of other pedals.
Everything will be fine as long as your cycling shoes have a good stiff sole.The cleat is more than large enough and in my 15 years on X pedals I have never suffered hotspots. Carbon soles usually go the job very well. I've been on Speedplays since 1991 and just put on a set of M2Racer Orb 2 pedals yesterday on one bike. After one ride the most complimentary thing I can say about the M2's are the are just like rding my Speedplays. Why switch, for me it's weight thing, I will ride the M2's for a while before I part with the X1s I have they just work so well but if I can find something that works as well as they do at a lesser weight, then I have a new pedal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts