Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
And is that Vietnamese coffee I spy to the right?

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
I'm jealous. I had it earlier this week, but would have it again if I had the chance (kode).

·
Good for you!
419 Posts
That's so crazy, I was enjoyingma bowl of Pho in my hotel room in Hanoi just a few hours ago. I can't get enough of it!

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Agreed

il sogno said:
Vietnamese coffee is the best. That pho looks awesome but IMO it should be served with limes.
Limes and some more cut red peppers. Haha, unless they're sitting at the bottom :) You have any Vietnamese hot sauce in there as well? Looks good!

·
Super Moderator
19,485 Posts
boneman said:
Limes and some more cut red peppers. Haha, unless they're sitting at the bottom :) You have any Vietnamese hot sauce in there as well? Looks good!
Looks like a dab of the orange stuff at 1:00 high.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
yum yum- actually one of me fav post ride meals

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Pho is good, but I prefer Tom Kha gai. I had some last night for dinner.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nimitz said:
so im uncultured what is Pho exactly noodles and ??

Chad
I'm no expert, but its f'n good. Rice noodles, meat, broth, and a plate full of crap you can throw in to meet your own tastes. basically what you see in the first picture is what you get.

The vietnamese coffee is pretty awesome as well. I will now be going to our local pho joint sometime this week.

Semper Fi

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
We love pho!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Nimitz said:
so im uncultured what is Pho exactly noodles and ??

Chad
Pho was fusion cuisine before anyone knew what fusion cuisine was. When Viet Nam was a French colony, Vietnamese cooks started making their traditional noodle soups with French soup stock reduced from bones, vegetables, and spices instead of the simpler broths found in most Asian cuisines.

Or so I read on Wikipedia.

I love pho. If anyone has been hesitating, get the tripe. It's really good!

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,265 Posts
Chad --

Pho is a beef-based soup. The broth is supposedly simmered for 24 hours. Into the broth goes rice noodles, various oddball cow parts such as tendon and tripe, and regular cuts of beef like cooked brisket and thin slices of raw steak, which cook while you eat. Your bowl of pho comes with a side plate piled with basil leaves, fresh bean sprouts, sliced jalapeno peppers and a wedge of lime. You toss whatever you want from the side plate into the soup. You can grab hot sauce and other condiments from the tray that will almost always be on your table. Most important is a good squeeze of that lime.

What you end up with is a soup that is slightly gamey and sour, with plenty of beef and vegetable flavors. Your first ever sip is "what the???" but by the time you are ten spoonfuls in you begin to see why everybody loves it so much. It's rich, complex, and slightly untamed.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts