Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Hope everyone is enjoying their Moots bikes. Today when I was dismounting mine, my Look cleat smacked the Top Tube and gave it a nice shiny scar about 1/3" long. It's kind of a brush type scratch that looks shiny in contrast to the dullish SL tubing. My eye goes to it immediately and I was wondering the best way to remove it....

Any remedies would be appreciated. I don't particularly want to start surgery without some input.

Thanks in advance,

KD

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Sell It

sell it and get a new one. i had that happen to my chain stay. a painter can probably sand blast it to match. don't try scotch brite or sand paper.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
varoadie said:
Hi Guys,

Hope everyone is enjoying their Moots bikes. Today when I was dismounting mine, my Look cleat smacked the Top Tube and gave it a nice shiny scar about 1/3" long. It's kind of a brush type scratch that looks shiny in contrast to the dullish SL tubing. My eye goes to it immediately and I was wondering the best way to remove it....

Any remedies would be appreciated. I don't particularly want to start surgery without some input.

Thanks in advance,

KD
Have you tried cleaning it and seeing if the blem is there afterwords?

I got distracted when installing a BB and slipped w/ a wrench.....looked like I'd dinged the BB shell, but after cleaning, the blem was no longer visible. I'd think a metal tool would be worse than a Look cleat......

How are you dismounting that you cleat was over the top tube?

·
FTMD
283 Posts
Add me to the club

Standard Vamoots here. Got mine back in December, but have not posted pics b/c I can't get them resized.

Worst case scenario - $300.00 to moots to have it refinished. They refinished my YBB last year and took out 90% of the scuffs and scrapes than mtb's tend to acquire.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Appreciate the responses...I called Moots and they said there really is no way to revive the finish without bead blasting it. Jon said to maybe use a little Pledge and rub it in to dull the shininess so it's not so noticeable. To re bead blast it will cost $250 and 3-4 weeks. It's just not that big of a deal to do that at this point, I'll wait til it get s a few more scars.

KD

·
Registered
363 Posts
Va

Sorry to hear. Unfortunately I haven't had any issues with the finish of the Moots. Not yet at least. I've heard in the past that steel wool can help but I can't vouch for it.

Just sit on it for a while. If you are still fixated on the blem a month from now, and if you have a second bike to ride, send it back to get it refinished. $250 isn't too bad...

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Hi Varoadie,
Yikes, that hurts. Thanks for the tip. I'll be a little extra careful and look out for that problem. We still have heaps of snow here, so no riding until at least the end of April or beginning of May. I just walked into my bedroom closet and caressed my little baby, just so that she doesn't get too lonely during the cold winter months.
Cheers, Wayne

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
I have a similar prob.....

Being a guy of small stature, (vertically challenged) my 52cm Compact SL has me heel rubbing those supper short chainstays, there is a polished area where my heel rubs that is a differnt color than the rest of the bike? How do I solve that?:confused:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Phat, sorry about your stays but better there than on the top tube. According to Moots, once the bead blasted finish is compromised there's nothing you can do unless it is re-blasted. I'm just going to live with mine like it is. My 2 scratches give it a little character, like I'm a warrior or something. Makes it look like I actaully ride the thing, not just stare at it!

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
varoadie said:
Phat, sorry about your stays but better there than on the top tube. According to Moots, once the bead blasted finish is compromised there's nothing you can do unless it is re-blasted. I'm just going to live with mine like it is. My 2 scratches give it a little character, like I'm a warrior or something. Makes it look like I actaully ride the thing, not just stare at it!

There you go! I like the attitude!:cool: As much as me Moots looks nice when it's all gussied up, when it is clean, I can't wait for it to get dirty. Character is definitely the right word. I like scars, both on me, women, and me bike. They're memories that don't fade.

PSV, you really rub your heels? How big is your feet? Have you though of spacing your pedals out a tad?

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
Alien

alienator said:
There you go! I like the attitude!:cool: As much as me Moots looks nice when it's all gussied up, when it is clean, I can't wait for it to get dirty. Character is definitely the right word. I like scars, both on me, women, and me bike. They're memories that don't fade.

PSV, you really rub your heels? How big is your feet? Have you though of spacing your pedals out a tad?
I suppose I could use some spacers or washers on my pedals, I've had similar prob with other bikes. Those Phat Moots chainstays, and in a small frame like mine, are what 40.5cm? 41cm? I'm a toe "out" kinda guy and with the unlimited float of speedplays, my heels have rubbed several chainstays. Great idea about the spacers. Thanks pal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts