Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
No...

Evan Evans said:
Has anyone else noticed that he is totally out of it this year? I mean more than the usual.
People who haven't been listening to him call races for years on end would think this, but he remains the same as always really. And as the other poster said, Phil is the shiznit. Always will be. That man will be calling races until he's dead, and I'll be watching.

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,383 Posts
magnolialover said:
People who haven't been listening to him call races for years on end would think this, but he remains the same as always really. And as the other poster said, Phil is the shiznit. Always will be. That man will be calling races until he's dead, and I'll be watching.
I don't know, he has been screwing up more than normal. I have some early tour of Ireland stuff and he's much tighter, few mistakes. He's getting older, oh well, still the best in the biz.

·
For president!
7,851 Posts
Evan Evans said:
Has anyone else noticed that he is totally out of it this year? I mean more than the usual.
My girlfriend, who watches 5-10 hours of racing per year, knew that Boonen was passing McEwen in the TT, not whatever weird thing Phil said. He still does a spectacular job recognizing riders from their style and height/weight out on the road.

Silas

·
Twitterpated
3,118 Posts
Evan Evans said:

Don't worry. I think that this year Phil is going to pull out something special. :D

Maybe you will like tomorrow better (rest day), OLN will have a wrap up of the week. Phil will probably do some of his great, reflective poetic journalism then. That's what I am used to from him, since for years I've only been able to watch the once-a-week coverage on CBS (or was it ABC?). He's inspiring.

·
BikerFox Wannabe
696 Posts
Anyone whose ever heard....

....Phil's call of the 1992 Milano-San Remo will know that Phil is the greatest ever of English cycling commentators/announcers. Best part, Phil going apoplectic shouting:

"I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! KELLY'S CLOSED THE GAP! HE'S CLOSED THE GAP! He really must have taken some risks on the decent (of the Poggio)...Argentine's heart must have hit his boots just now when he saw who was on his wheel!"

Best race I've ever seen (taped, of course...no darn decent cycling coverage here in the USA back in the pre Lance days).
Kelly's last great win and Liggett was forever burned into my brain as THE voice of cycling from then on.

·
I'm wearing 4" stilettos
205 Posts
Evan Evans said:

Whatchu talkin 'bout Willis? :skep: Don't be dissin my boy Phil.
Yeah, he tends to misidentify riders (on a regular basis) but that's why Paul is there, to correct him. We love Phil because of his foibles, not inspite of them.

'90's flashback sprint call: "AND IT'S DJAMOLODINE ABDUJAPOROV COMING DOWN THE STRAIGHTAWAY!!! ABDUJAPORVO! ABDUJAPOROV! A-B-D-U-J-A-P-O-R-O-V!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No one does it better than Phil.

·
Registered
45 Posts
magnolialover said:
Even AFTER he's dead (if we're lucky)! He'll be digitally inserted into the broadcasts, and an electronic library of the 10 billion words he's spoken during cyling races will be used to create seamless commentary!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Phil must be among the most overrated commentators around. Regularly makes mistakes and contradicts himself. But that said it must be difficult describing something for hours at a time especially when not much is happening, like on the flat stages.
What cycling needs is a someone fresh, new and well researched to come and challenge his position. I thought that might be Sherwin but he slipping as well. Spends too much time trying to match Phil instead of just being sensible and measured.
The hunt is on (or should be).

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
Bikeboy55 said:
Phil must be among the most overrated commentators around. Regularly makes mistakes and contradicts himself. But that said it must be difficult describing something for hours at a time especially when not much is happening, like on the flat stages.
What cycling needs is a someone fresh, new and well researched to come and challenge his position. I thought that might be Sherwin but he slipping as well. Spends too much time trying to match Phil instead of just being sensible and measured.
The hunt is on (or should be).
Ahh, now he's overrated. What planet you from?? The guy has built a great reputation over the past few decades. And many, many of us appreciate his work.

fc

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Murray Walker of cycling...Now I get it......

"Unless I'm very much mistaken... I am very much mistaken.”
or my pesonal favourite...
“Now he must not go the wrong way round the circuit, and unless he can spin himself stationary through 360 degrees I fail to see how he can avoid doing so.”
or then there's....
“Prost can see Mansell in his earphones.”
Just what cycling needs, another Murray Walker.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.