Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How 'bout some rest day fun? When they go out on rides, who do you think is the fastest/strongest on a climb and who do you think is the Lanterne Rouge?

I'm thinking Bob would be the fastest/strongest. He's pretty fit and is a former pro. Paul would be next. In spite of all the talk about having an allergy to hills, he and Bob can probably still smoke most of us.

I figure Phil and Hummer would be fighting it out for Lanterne Rouge. Hummer looks fit but Phil was an amateur racer and he I'm sure he knows a trick or two.

What do you all think?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
Hummer would be LR.

Bobke, Phil, and Paul are all ex-bikeracers...Hummer is only an ex-swimmer.

·
Gronk SMASH!
1,973 Posts
Bobke wins easily. he's the only one who clearly still rides a lot. Besides, the others let him go up the road to avoid hearing him talk for at least a few peaceful minutes.

Paul next, then take your pick.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hummer didn't own a road bike.

·
Super Moderator
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One thing for sure is if the other three guys miss a shift, Phil will take the win!!! :D

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
il sogno said:
One thing for sure is if the other three guys miss a shift, Phil will take the win!!! :D
Of the 4, he probably has the deepest Suitcase of Courage.

·
What the what???
12,711 Posts
Marc said:
Hummer would be LR.

Bobke, Phil, and Paul are all ex-bikeracers...Hummer is only an ex-swimmer.
Agreed. I hear Paul talk about his days as a racer, but Phil talks more about being a race organizer. I didn't know he competed.

What if we threw Andreu and Ventura into the mix???

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,268 Posts
1. Bob. He still has the fire in his eyes.
2. Craig. Has youth and body fat percentage on his side.
3. Phil. Wiry old dog, though probably more the cyclo-tourist out for a Wednesday morning ride.
4. Paul. In survival mode, searching for the grupetto at the back.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hummer wins, imo. Hummer offerred Bobke to ride with him and Bobke said he'd have to get in shape. Phil and Paul are probably getting a bit old. The LR would prolly go to Paul. The fact that Bob and Paul are ex-pros realy doesn't necessarily mean they're the best.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
M-theory said:
The fact that Bob and Paul are ex-pros realy doesn't necessarily mean they're the best.
No, but it means they're more likely to not only own a road bike, but know how to ride one too.

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
M-theory said:
....The fact that Bob and Paul are ex-pros realy doesn't necessarily mean they're the best.
mmmm not so sure about that. I've known a few ex-fast guys, up to US domestic pro level... even when they are fat and out of shape they can still kick a lot of ass, especially if on a one-day event.

Phil rides a lot from my understanding, he looks fit but he's getting on in years. I'd guess Paul stays trim but doesn't ride much, so my hand goes to Bobke.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
i know ventura rus a training business near me. last october i was in the shop (it shares space with a trek store) and saw him there. pretty slick set up. they have a large room with a bunch of trainers and a video wall. anyway, i saw him pop out and said "hey." he looked at me like he knew me from somwhere, but couldnt place it. i wanted to ask how long he was planning on keeping the yellow phonak jerseys up on the wall.

last year leading into the ITT he was doing his lil spot while riding on course next to levi. levi looked like he was headed to the donut shop. ventura was huffing it. but who know what was going on before that.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Bobke was supposed to be riding the Tourmalet on this rest day. Hummer said he was not going with him.

·
Hup, Hup
361 Posts
Hummer probably doesn't even know how to ride a bike.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I remember seeing somewhere that Craig was actually really strong and could ride pretty well. He looks super fit - but who knows.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Hummer has mentioned several times during the broadcast that he had ridden part ofthe course so I would assume that means he is on a road bike. I met bobke at the TOC when he was on crutches this past May, still looks very thin and in shape.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts