Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to be confused with Phil Wood Bar-B-Que. :p

I have a new Chorus crankset in hand for my LeMond, and have settled, I think, on a Phil Wood BB. I know to get two of the installation tools (part of the price of excellence, I guess), but I have two questions:

1. The mounting rings are available in stainless, and alloy. I'd presume stainless to be more durable. Alloy is said to be lighter. Same price for both. Weight matters, sure, but I ain't a hard-core weight-weenie. Which version, and why?

2. Can anyone recommend a good source ... good being defined as a combination of price, fast and friendly service, and likelihood of having everything I need in stock?

Thanks very much!

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Allez Rouge said:
Not to be confused with Phil Wood Bar-B-Que. :p

I have a new Chorus crankset in hand for my LeMond, and have settled, I think, on a Phil Wood BB. I know to get two of the installation tools (part of the price of excellence, I guess), but I have two questions:

1. The mounting rings are available in stainless, and alloy. I'd presume stainless to be more durable. Alloy is said to be lighter. Same price for both. Weight matters, sure, but I ain't a hard-core weight-weenie. Which version, and why?

2. Can anyone recommend a good source ... good being defined as a combination of price, fast and friendly service, and likelihood of having everything I need in stock?

Thanks very much!
You can order directly from the PW website. I ordered mine through my LBS for the same price minus shipping. Two tools are a must. I have the stainless version on my commuter, there isn't a huge weight penalty using stainless over alloy plus the splines on the SS rings are less likely to get damaged in the installation. You should expect a long life out of a PW BB, but in case you ever have to remove it, the stainless rings would be nice. If I ever put the record crankset back on my pego, I will use a PW. I use a 103 JIS for an old Dura Ace crankset on the Soma.

·
Registered
21 Posts
agree on the stainless...

i have one on my mtn bike and it's been great. i got mine from Lickbike.com. price was definitely better than from PW. i got the mid priced ti one. was enough lighter to make it worth it to me.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
I opted for stainless because I was putting the BB in a steel frame--avoids galvanic corrosion. I took it out the other day while chasing a noise (didn't fix it, dangit), and it was SO easy--not a spot on it. If you're putting it in an aluminum or carbon frame (don't those often have an aluminum BB sleeve?) you'd probably want to go the other way.

Given the size of the splines, I don't think there's much risk of damaging them no matter which cups you go with. Beefy. You should make sure you have a couple of wrenches that will handle a 22 mm nut (preferably one of which is a torque wrench). That's the size you'll need for the installation tools.

I also ordered my BB from my local shop. They were able to give me a price better than pretty much anybody. I don't know how they do it, but if I order high-end stuff from them I almost always end up paying less than I would on an internet order. Takes a day or two longer, but that's OK with me. It's an excuse to go by the shop, something I don't do often enough. Props to Bicycle Place in Silver Spring, MD (though other folks' mileage may vary--I ain't promising you'd have the same results).

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,126 Posts
You really cannot go wrong using the stainless rings. If you thread an AL. ring into an AL. frame there is a distinct possibility of galling. Aluminum rings in a TI frame tend to fuse. Go with the stainless! Make sure that you tell your supplier what crank manufacturer. The Campy taper specs are different than Shimano(JIS) Phil makes both.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You don't really need two installation tools with British threading as on a LeMond -opposite-threaded rings won't try to walk as would, say, Italian-threaded.

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bikeboy389 said:
I opted for stainless because I was putting the BB in a steel frame--avoids galvanic corrosion.
Ah .. yes. Slapping forehead, because I should have thought of that. Excellent point.

Stainless it is, then. Thanks again, everyone. As usual, the members of this forum prove to be most helpful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts