Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to get my retro priorites straight with some advise from this board. For my 1980 Raleigh Competition I found some GB handlebars engraved with the Raleigh Heron headbadge. I picked up some Shimano 600 non-aero brake levers with gum rubber hoods and some old clamp-on Shimano 600 downtube friction shifters. No problems so far, but then I ebayed myself into a rear wheel built with a phil wood hub, Mavic MA-3 rim and a 6 speed Sachs freewheel. I'm committed now. I've got to make this project worthy of Phil Hubs.

In the mid 70's I wanted a great bike with Phil hubs almost as badly as I wanted Christie Brinkley. I waited 30 years for Phil. I wonder if Christie's busy.

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Warning...

Base on what I have learned in the Lounge, I'd check with Chuck before making any plans with Christie....

Now, for the project...post a pic!

·
An Eye for an Eye - Deal
3 Posts
I allow you to ...

ogle over Christie ONLY after I have finished working out with her. Then, I will trade you for the Phil W. hubs.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Fine Wine

Reynolds531 said:
...In the mid 70's I wanted a great bike with Phil hubs almost as badly as I wanted Christie Brinkley. I waited 30 years for Phil. I wonder if Christie's busy.
Somehow I do not think Christie will have aged as well as Phil.
I wonder which has more miles on it?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Lame

Keeping up with Junior said:
Somehow I do not think Christie will have aged as well as Phil.
I wonder which has more miles on it?
You should put some miles on your ride, take yourself to the library and look up "misogyny."

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Nice project you are working on. A friend of mine had an 84 or so Raleigh Olympian and another buddy had an 86ish can't remember the model but it was 531 tubing. The LBS I used to frequent carried Raleighs (my buddy got the cool yellow and black sign with the jagged looking "Raleigh"). Please post a pic when completed. I too always wanted Phil hubs but I settled for American Classic (which haven't given me any problems in 19 years...still pretty smooth though the rear isn't quite as smooth as front which is butter smooth). Someday I will own a bike with clamp on downtubes and standard gum brake levers...

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Scarlet handlebar tape, gray bike

I ordered scarlet handlebar tape to go with the gray bike. Maybe I can find some scarlet cable housings. Graduated from The Ohio State University class of 1981.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Reynolds531 said:
I ordered scarlet handlebar tape to go with the gray bike. Maybe I can find some scarlet cable housings. Graduated from The Ohio State University class of 1981.
O-H

I just got some Gray bennotto tape and Scarlett (red) benotto tape from Handy bikes over on third. They don't have any more though.

My entire immediate family is ohio state.

Dad - professor (food science and nutrition)
Mom - M.S. Education
Brother- B.S. M.S. and working on Ph.D. (food science and nutrition)
Me - M.S. Materials science engineering

I can't wait for football season!

and check out my "Scarlett and Gray" look shoes over in "General" under "longevity of cycling shoes"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts