Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Phil hubs have been made since the early 70's and are a first class hub. I have a friend that is still riding a set that he purchased back in that era with 10's of thousands of miles on them.

They're not as flashy as some of the newer hubs but they are a quality product.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,415 Posts
Over priced and overrated.
Not that there's anything bad about them. Any hub with sealed bearings can last forever. Hubs like Dura Ace and Campy Record can last almost as long. (If you take care of them)

·
Registered
491 Posts
There is just something about them though. I have a set on my singlespeed and they are by far the coolest hubs I"ve owned. Not the lightest, but still very sweet, plus they are quite over built compared to some of the lightweight hubs which makes them pretty bomb proof. Of course my singlespeed see's alot worse than my road bike ever will. Still a sweet hub though and Brent at Phil Wood is a great guy, should you ever have any problems with the hubs (doubtful though) thats just my useless 2cents

·
Registered
3 Posts
what is your set up for ss?

roadboy said:
There is just something about them though. I have a set on my singlespeed and they are by far the coolest hubs I"ve owned. Not the lightest, but still very sweet, plus they are quite over built compared to some of the lightweight hubs which makes them pretty bomb proof. Of course my singlespeed see's alot worse than my road bike ever will. Still a sweet hub though and Brent at Phil Wood is a great guy, should you ever have any problems with the hubs (doubtful though) thats just my useless 2cents
Roadboy:

I would like to build up a set of PW wheels for s/s and I was wondering what PW hubs are you using for your s/s? Fixed Track or Fixed/FW Track? Road? If you used the road hubs, did you have to modify the hub?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
"Sealed Bearings" = Marketing BS

MR_GRUMPY said:
Over priced and overrated.
Not that there's anything bad about them. Any hub with sealed bearings can last forever. Hubs like Dura Ace and Campy Record can last almost as long. (If you take care of them)
Most hub bearings, including all those from Shimano and Campagnolo, are sealed - all that means is that there is a rubber lip seal over the bearings.

When most companies refer to using "Sealed Bearings" what they really mean is that they use industrial cartridge bearings with a pressed in rubber seal. But the seals on this industrial cartridge bearings were never intended for environmental sealing - all the seals are meant to do is keep the grease from running out as the bearing heats up during use. The seals were never intended to keep out a constant spray of dirty, mucky water (as bikes used in the rain are subjected to).

The difference with Shimano and Campagnolo road hubs is that they use labyrinth-over-seal design, which is much more robust. The labyrinth keeps out the big stiff and redirects most of the liquid and crud, and the seal keeps out the thin stream which manages to get past the liquid.

As far as lasting forever - Campagnolo might have the leg up there. Not only do they start with a superior bearing than most cartridge bearings, but all the parts (cups, cones and balls) are replaceable. In addition, all bearing components can be replaced with common hand tools, and do not require specialized tool to press bearings in or out, as many cartridge bearings hubs do.

·
Registered
491 Posts
ss mtb

gios8 said:
Roadboy:

I would like to build up a set of PW wheels for s/s and I was wondering what PW hubs are you using for your s/s? Fixed Track or Fixed/FW Track? Road? If you used the road hubs, did you have to modify the hub?

Thanks.

I have a set on my singlespeed surly mtb. It's the Kiss Off hubset with the rear hub having the SL option, check the website for more info. Awesome hubs though. For single speed road options PhilWood does both 126mm and 130 mm spacing on fixed as well as freewheel hubs. IMO it's the finest hubset i have ever owned, end of story. And i have owned alot.

·
Banned
936 Posts
One thing. .

Phil Woods bottom brackets rule!! Don't tell me Campy's on par durability wise, as they aren't. Campy hubs? Yes. BB? No.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts