Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just got in from the races today. Anyone here attend? Personally, I thought it kinda sucked. They changed the course, with the race ending on the Manayunk "Wall". To me, that took away the excitement of a sprint finish. And I also noticed that many of the teams that participated in the past didn't show up this year. I rode with the guys from Team SRAM yesterday as they were getting to know the course. And a few of them told me that a lot of teams declined this race because the prize wasn't worth it anymore because many of the sponsors pulled out. That's a damn shame. This race was HUGE for a long time. Now, I'm afraid that it's days are numbered. So, the men's race was..."meh". Team SRAM won it for the men. Now, the women??? Well, this race is actually a big one for women cycling now. They have sprint spots and a larger prize for the winning team. They competed very hard and I enjoyed watching...more than the men's race. If anyone here was able to attend, what do you think?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I watched it online. I thought it was great. A sprint finish up the "Wall" is still a sprint finish. And I don't know what Team SRAM you're talking about - Eduard Prades took the win for Team Caja Rural. Riding a Fuji Transonic, which coincidentally is what I ride.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I watched it online. I thought it was great. A sprint finish up the "Wall" is still a sprint finish. And I don't know what Team SRAM you're talking about - Eduard Prades took the win for Team Caja Rural. Riding a Fuji Transonic, which coincidentally is what I ride.
Oh, I certainly stand corrected. I was down course from the finish line, and I know I heard the announcer say that Team SRAM won it. But you saw the actual finish, so I'll go by your words. I liked the old course better...that's when the race was televised and was jam-packed throughout the entire course. Today, there was barely anyone out on the flats to see the race.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The event changed when it lost its status as the US Pro Championship. Less incentive for some teams and Euro based riders to come to win the jersey. Title sponsors have changed for years with one bank taking over another but like all big races they struggle. Tours of GA, Missouri, Colorado, San Fran, etc, the money goes away. The mayor and the city did a nice job in keeping momentum going behind a smaller version of it. Very expensive to close off the downtown roads when the money is drying up. Promoter has changed as well. Kelly drive, the circle, the museum, the expo, were all great but it also got boring that for years the moves did not stay away and it became a sprinters race. The Wall and Lemon Hill are not tough enough and too far away from the old finish to make the moves stick in many years. I do miss seeing some of the younger Euro Pro's that the teams would send over and a few years later they would go onto big things. The old days also made it worth it to send a team when they would race in PA and NJ leading into Sunday and have a chance at 3-5 days prize money. The race is famous for the Wall so it is not a bad idea to make it the finish line and reward the guys that can hit that the hardest; it is just a different kind of sprint. Agree that it is a sad change since the quality is not the same. Somerville used to have 50,000 people watching on a 1 mile small town criterium course. Now it is a couple thousand not counting the riders and their families. They moved the Nationals date to the same weekend and there goes the quality field. The town gets hurt by recessions and job loss and there goes the locals. It is a tough job putting these things on, we just need to support what we can. Volunteer or find a rich Uncle to support our sport.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The event changed when it lost its status as the US Pro Championship. Less incentive for some teams and Euro based riders to come to win the jersey. Title sponsors have changed for years with one bank taking over another but like all big races they struggle. Tours of GA, Missouri, Colorado, San Fran, etc, the money goes away. The mayor and the city did a nice job in keeping momentum going behind a smaller version of it. Very expensive to close off the downtown roads when the money is drying up. Promoter has changed as well. Kelly drive, the circle, the museum, the expo, were all great but it also got boring that for years the moves did not stay away and it became a sprinters race. The Wall and Lemon Hill are not tough enough and too far away from the old finish to make the moves stick in many years. I do miss seeing some of the younger Euro Pro's that the teams would send over and a few years later they would go onto big things. The old days also made it worth it to send a team when they would race in PA and NJ leading into Sunday and have a chance at 3-5 days prize money. The race is famous for the Wall so it is not a bad idea to make it the finish line and reward the guys that can hit that the hardest; it is just a different kind of sprint. Agree that it is a sad change since the quality is not the same. Somerville used to have 50,000 people watching on a 1 mile small town criterium course. Now it is a couple thousand not counting the riders and their families. They moved the Nationals date to the same weekend and there goes the quality field. The town gets hurt by recessions and job loss and there goes the locals. It is a tough job putting these things on, we just need to support what we can. Volunteer or find a rich Uncle to support our sport.
Totally agree with you. Gotta support any way we can. We just can't let this race die, or move on to another city.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
I grew up in Philly and LOVED going to that race. I was there when Lance became the youngest US pro champ in history. Thats how long I use to go to that race. I haven't been able to go for last 10 years because I moved out west. I agree taking the national champs away from Philly was stupid. But USA cycling has been trying to kill that race off for 20 years now because they don't like the race organizer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I grew up in Philly and LOVED going to that race. I was there when Lance became the youngest US pro champ in history. Thats how long I use to go to that race. I haven't been able to go for last 10 years because I moved out west. I agree taking the national champs away from Philly was stupid. But USA cycling has been trying to kill that race off for 20 years now because they don't like the race organizer.
WOW! Is that what it is??? Someone's grudge match? That sucks. Well, I hope the men's race survives. The women's race is on a whole new level now with sponsorship, so they should be fine.

Hey, did you ever hear rumors of Lacne buying that race for $1m?

Armstrong bought "Million Dollar" Triple Crown victory, claims Gaggioli | Cyclingnews.com

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,142 Posts
I was there when Lance won, and I was there when LeMond won. IIRC, it was called the Core States Championship back then, sponsored by Core States Bank.

I always thought that was a cool name, Core States.

Back then, they had other events around the main race. IIRC there was TT in Delaware, which Ekimov won one year.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts

I lived in Philly until 1991, and loved that race. My memories are of Roberto Gaggioli with the rock star hair, seeing 7-eleven/coors light/Wheaties Schwinn battling it out. Even Laurent Jalabert and Phil Anderson!
Your right about the killers of all things cycling, USACycling. They had an iconic event that drew an estimated 2 million people to a bike race (ok, they were not all knowledgable cycling conniseurs) and USAC was hell bent for years on wrecking it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so you guys know how the crowd was back then...throughout the course. I was on Kelly Drive at Midvale. That is one of the fastest areas on the course and was once flooded with enthusiasts and spectators. Sunday, there was, MAYBE, 100 people on that stretch of course. That's a crying shame. I wonder if petitioning USA Cycling would yield anything positive. Do you think they'd listen? Or, will the men's race see it's demise, based on someone's egotistical wet-dream?

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,142 Posts
Ok, so you guys know how the crowd was back then...throughout the course. I was on Kelly Drive at Midvale. That is one of the fastest areas on the course and was once flooded with enthusiasts and spectators. Sunday, there was, MAYBE, 100 people on that stretch of course. That's a crying shame. I wonder if petitioning USA Cycling would yield anything positive. Do you think they'd listen? Or, will the men's race see it's demise, based on someone's egotistical wet-dream?
I used to watch from the parkway and the wall back when it was so crowded, it was kind of hard to navigate the crowds to get a course-side view.

The wall got pretty ugly for several years due to all the annoying manayunk drunks who were only there to get completely hammered and obnoxious.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used to watch from the parkway and the wall back when it was so crowded, it was kind of hard to navigate the crowds to get a course-side view.

The wall got pretty ugly for several years due to all the annoying manayunk drunks who were only there to get completely hammered and obnoxious.
LOL It's still that way Spike. It could be a wall-ball tournament, but the drunks would STILL come out and do the same thing!

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
I lived in Philly until 1991, and loved that race. My memories are of Roberto Gaggioli with the rock star hair, seeing 7-eleven/coors light/Wheaties Schwinn battling it out. Even Laurent Jalabert and Phil Anderson!
Your right about the killers of all things cycling, USACycling. They had an iconic event that drew an estimated 2 million people to a bike race (ok, they were not all knowledgable cycling conniseurs) and USAC was hell bent for years on wrecking it.
It really is a loss for the area. Back when it was Coresates and a series of races in the area it was a world respected race. Its the closest we have to a classic really. I use to work in the bike industry and we always had something going on down at the race. The last few years I went I just took the mountain bike and road around the corse all day to watch from different places. At one point USA cycling put out a statement that the race organizer was bankrupt. They weren't but it made finding sponsorship for the race allot harder. The Governor Ed Rendell had to step in and help. And that was only because he was mayer of Philly and he understood what that race meant to the city.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts