Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
24 hours has gone by, and not a single thread on this race.

Are people less interested in the event now that it's not the US Pro Champs? It understandable, but it's also a shame as it's such a great race.

It's a tough spot on the Calendar, it's competing with both the Dauphine and the Tour of Switz.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was wondering the same thing... On all the forums and such no one has really even mentioned it. It is a shame. I thought it was a cool race and I had a blast. First at the wall for 2 laps and then back at lemon hill and last on the Ben Franklin Parkway for the finish. It is such a cool race and Philly is buzzing all week. The riders are cool, the city and fans are really into it. Granted it did loose some of the euro pro teams and it was a bummer to not have Julich, Horner and the rest of those type riders but I think it was just as good.

With Commerce Bank on board I think it might only get better.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We started the party early Saturday at the hotel... Interesting to see just how drunk a pro racer can get ... giggle giggle:

The kicker was at 3:30 in the morning b4 the race when some joker tripped the fire alarm.

Never seen so many pissed off cyclists. I was on the second floor between Toyota and Hub Racing.
Men to the left of me, scantilly clad women to the right...
Was a 'Kpdak moment' and I had no camera :O(

·
Polka Power
1,348 Posts
That race is too much fun. If you are semi local you should check it out next year.

I don't drink too often but it has been tradition in previous years for friends and me to get so loaded the night before and then again during the race that I could hardly walk let alone ride. So this year I kept it somewhat under control on Sat (downhill madness)...then on Sunday only had a beer. We watched on the wall for several laps...then a few of us took our bikes (along kelly drive trail) downtown to watch the finish and awards presentation. Got good food...sunburn...and my rim tape failed and left me with two flats. Got to see the race from almost every location.

Good times.

Sorry if anyone here was at the wall and got slightly harrased by people wanting them to ride thier bikes up the wall (during the race). It could have been a few of my friends. :rolleyes5: :crazy: Drunken moreons they were. I apologize.

Hopefully Commerce sticks with it and more teams will come out next year knowing it has solid sponsorship...and maybe a bigger payout.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Great race...

It's a great race, and the thing that made it really great in the past, is that you had some of the best riders in the US battling against the best riders in the world, and the US guys normally held their own pretty well. There has been a downturn in the prestige of this race, since it doesn't award the US Pro jersey anymore, which is a good thing for Wherry, as he gets to wear it a little longer now, into September. Essentially, Philly has been turned into the longest NRC race on the calendar is about what it boils down to. I wonder how long before there is no race at all?? San Francisco is gone, and this one might be on the chopping block as well before too long. I hope not, but methinks the writing is on the wall.

Great win by Henderson by the way. Great win. I'm both happy and sad to see a mass sprint at the end of this race. It shouldn't be that way, but as we all know, the Manyunk Wall is too far away from the finish to really break things apart, like it used to, before everyone was really fit. Now, if the big teams aren't there to tear it apart, it ends like we saw on Sunday. Although, I do love to see a big sprint at the end of a long race. This reason, the non selectiveness of the course, is the biggest reason why they decided to move pro championships to Greenville I think. The course, and the race are both great, but it has gotten not hard enough for most of the pros in the US today.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
magnolialover said:
Essentially, Philly has been turned into the longest NRC race on the calendar is about what it boils down to. I wonder how long before there is no race at all?? San Francisco is gone, and this one might be on the chopping block as well before too long. I hope not, but methinks the writing is on the wall.
This was my thought too, but I certainly don't want it to go away.

So, what does everyone think, keep it how it is, or get rid of the lemon hill laps in favor of one more time up the wall right before the end?
Personally I think it should be left alone and just accept the fact that it's going to end in a group finish more often than not.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Leave it be..

euro-trash said:

So, what does everyone think, keep it how it is, or get rid of the lemon hill laps in favor of one more time up the wall right before the end?
Personally I think it should be left alone and just accept the fact that it's going to end in a group finish more often than not.
I say leave it be as well.

I don't want the race to go the way of the do-do either, and I hope that it doesn't for sure.

I'm OK with it ending in a big sprint, as it doesn't seem to do when the race is attended by some other big teams, and the firepower is higher. Maybe it will move back and get more prominence again in the future. It is one of the gems of US cycling really, along with Athens, San Francisco was, Tour of California now, and Georgia. There are some more, too many to list right now, but you guys know what I mean. We don't need less racing here, we need more.

·
Polka Power
1,348 Posts
euro-trash said:

I think that the calender issue is a big one. Plus the main sponsorship was up in the air for so long. The state was going to sponsor the thing. Bigger payouts couldn't hurt.

The way it's setup now makes for an awesome race to watch. There are a bunch of cool routes I could think of using but the logistics would get out of control, especially around the city with road closings and detours. Currently it works really well as far as being easy on the non cycling public....for Philly atleast.

I would love to see the week become a mini tour kind of thing. With finishes for the climbers, sprinters and maybe a time trial.....finishing on the Philly curcuit. That's probably a steep order though....

·
Registered
16 Posts
More pics

It was also my son's first Philly race and our 9th year in a row...Last year the bucko was inside the belly, so not sure that counts...Anyway, Manyunk provided another great time and it hasn't rained in 22 years!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think commerce bank signed on for 5 years... The deal was just done only a month ago. I think an all american race like the USCF wanted would have killed Philly. What has made it cool was that the Euros would come over. Let the American race go to South Carolina... and maybe Chauner can make Philly into big international race again. It might die but the City loves that race, the State really supports it and the fans are into it as well. Lancaster and Reading were successes as well. The advertising and promotion of this race were terrible and really need a boost... You would have never known there was a big race in the City if you were in the know anyhow. Hope the get it together and make it even better.

·
For president!
7,851 Posts
euro-trash said:
24 hours has gone by, and not a single thread on this race.

Are people less interested in the event now that it's not the US Pro Champs? It understandable, but it's also a shame as it's such a great race.

It's a tough spot on the Calendar, it's competing with both the Dauphine and the Tour of Switz.
I went to SFGP last fall, and Philly last weekend. The difference in the crowds was astonishing. There were thousands of legitimate cycling fans, loving the race in SF. Philly just had thousands of drunks. That was my perspective from the wall, maybe it is different in other spots on the course.

When you think that SF got canned with little hubbub from the fans, and they definitely care more about the race than in philly, I can't see the race lasting too much longer there. 5 years max. The race was about the national championships, now it is about nothing.

Still a good race, fun course, and I bear no ill will towards it, but the people just don't care enough.

Silas

·
Registered
164 Posts
What is great about philly is that the rest of the population is into the race... the non-cycling fan. That is what is needed to make a race last and become successful. The cyclist, racing enthusiest, and fan are easy... you already get them. The hard part is getting the people who don't ride, race or really care about it to come and have a good time. Philly has that. Even if it is just a reason to party, those people are still having a great time and come back year after year. It is a shame that in the US that people think that the only reason a race will exist is if there is something attached to it... why can't it just exist because it is a great race? Every race in Europe just exists for prize money...

·
Registered
19 Posts
read somewhere in here complaints about the drunks on the Wall.
Ever been to Athens Twilight?
More drunks than you can count.
Having to plow through clouds of cigarette smoke and stale beer,
ughhhhh...
Poor little kitty cats tossed on the course...
Scary stuff.
Such is life,,,
Get on with it.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Philly and the drunks on the wall

Yeah Athens has drunks, as far as I have heard the cat ran on the course was not thrown, but the drunks on the wall were gulity of throwing stuff at the team cars this year (the hit ours with a rock) and last year they were grapping riders as they went past. Its really small percentage of the people out there doing it but they certainly make negative impression.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.