Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of going Sunday and starting at the wall and working our way towards the start finish line. We are thinkig about doing this on a couple of mountain bikes. Any suggestions if this is a good idea, can you even get around, and NO we are not those guys who are going to try and ride the course while the racers are on another part of it.

Any info on how crowded this is, time to get there, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
 

· Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the wall

Yeah it sounds like a mob scene

should we try another location" should we forget the bike and just plan on staying at the wall, our saving grace here is that we can park at a friends place that is fairly close to Manyunk
 

· Polka Power
Joined
·
1,348 Posts
Har said:
Yeah it sounds like a mob scene

should we try another location" should we forget the bike and just plan on staying at the wall, our saving grace here is that we can park at a friends place that is fairly close to Manyunk

You should be able to do it. They're are plenty of people that pass through there with bikes. It tends to get more crouded and out of control as the race goes on, so if you started at the wall that could be best. Either way though you can make it through....just might take more time.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
10,106 Posts
I've done it

Har said:
Thinking of going Sunday and starting at the wall and working our way towards the start finish line. We are thinkig about doing this on a couple of mountain bikes. Any suggestions if this is a good idea, can you even get around, and NO we are not those guys who are going to try and ride the course while the racers are on another part of it.

Any info on how crowded this is, time to get there, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
In 2003 and 2004, I went to the race with my bike. My friends and I parked in Center City Philadelphia (not too far from the start/finish). We watched the start and then made our way to the wall. We basically rode the course in reverse -- there is a bike path that parallels Kelly Drive. Once you get near Manayunk, you will have to ride on sidewalks behind the spectators. When we got to the top of the climb, we found a space and stayed there until the second to the last lap and then rode back to the finish. Take a lock with you. Even though our bikes never were too far from us, you will not be able to watch the race and have your bike right next to you.
 

· Polka Power
Joined
·
1,348 Posts
MarkS said:
In 2003 and 2004, I went to the race with my bike. My friends and I parked in Center City Philadelphia (not too far from the start/finish). We watched the start and then made our way to the wall. We basically rode the course in reverse -- there is a bike path that parallels Kelly Drive. Once you get near Manayunk, you will have to ride on sidewalks behind the spectators. When we got to the top of the climb, we found a space and stayed there until the second to the last lap and then rode back to the finish. Take a lock with you. Even though our bikes never were too far from us, you will not be able to watch the race and have your bike right next to you.
Another suggestion....if you don't feel like parking downtown or parking in Manayunk (it will be hard to find parking in manayunk) you could take the schukill river trail into town from the north west. http://www.montcopa.org/parks/schuylkillrivertrail.htm It will drop you off right in manayunk. There is one small section on the road when you get towards Manayunk where you can continue on pavement or take the towpath (dirt) directly into Manayunk.

You can put together a number of distances depending on how far you want to ride.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Attention ChuckUni

I am going to get my friend of a friend's address area who sai we could park at his place. All he said was that it was 3-4 minutes BY CAB from Manayunk. Maybe if you recognize it it will help with our plan of parking our car and riding the bikes.

Thanks For your help, Everyone
 

· Polka Power
Joined
·
1,348 Posts
Har said:
Attention ChuckUni

I am going to get my friend of a friend's address area who sai we could park at his place. All he said was that it was 3-4 minutes BY CAB from Manayunk. Maybe if you recognize it it will help with our plan of parking our car and riding the bikes.

Thanks For your help, Everyone

Yeah just PM it and I'll see if I can get you a good route to and from the race.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
10,106 Posts
Har said:
Attention ChuckUni

I am going to get my friend of a friend's address area who sai we could park at his place. All he said was that it was 3-4 minutes BY CAB from Manayunk. Maybe if you recognize it it will help with our plan of parking our car and riding the bikes.

Thanks For your help, Everyone

I was in Philadelphia on Wednesday and noticed that SEPTA has a special schedule for Sunday to transport people to Manayunk. Here is a link. http://www.septa.org/news/promotions_06/bikerace.html If you are close enough to one of the stations, you may be able to avoid the cab ride. The SEPTA trains also have a sticker on them that states that bikes are welcome during non-rush hour times. Here are SEPTA's bike transport rules. http://www.septa.org/service/bike_ride.html
 

· Polka Power
Joined
·
1,348 Posts
MarkS said:
I was in Philadelphia on Wednesday and noticed that SEPTA has a special schedule for Sunday to transport people to Manayunk. Here is a link. http://www.septa.org/news/promotions_06/bikerace.html If you are close enough to one of the stations, you may be able to avoid the cab ride. The SEPTA trains also have a sticker on them that states that bikes are welcome during non-rush hour times. Here are SEPTA's bike transport rules. http://www.septa.org/service/bike_ride.html

Hopefully I can get em there via bike on good roads. Philly is fairly bike friendly. The trains are good, but if it's only a 4 minute cab ride he is probably fairly close. If you guys are on MTN bikes I could tell you how to get to Wissahikon park...which is really close to the wall and a bunch of fun.

If you are interested in taking the train downtown, you can pick it up bassically at the base of the wall (manayunk station) then ride it to Suburban station downtown (Septa R6 line). That will put you at the city hall end of the parkway....3 blocks from Logan Circle, which is the far other end of the loop.

You can also bike the distance on the MUT that runs along Kelly Drive. Kelly is closed because the race uses it On the opposite side of the river is West River/MLK drive. This has a MUT along it that might be less crowded (but no race) and the drive itself may be closed to traffic, which is mega nice. Either will drop you off right at the Art museum, not far from the start/finish.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top