Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
No big deal. Just wipe more thoroughly than usual. It'll lube fine, but it may tend to pick up more dirt, because of its stickiness. So you may need to clean and lube a little sooner than otherwise.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
As JCavilia said, you could just wipe the chain thoroughly and be done with it.

Or, you could spray a folded paper towel with WD-40, then wipe the chain. Repeat as necessary until the Tenacious Oil is removed to your satisfaction. Then lubricate as usual.
If you clean it this way - using a soaked paper towel as opposed to spraying the WD40 on the chain and letting it drip through - you really don't need to re-lube the chain. All you'll be doing is cleaning the outside of the chain, not the inside. In fact, this is what I, and a lot of people do routinely. It's only the lube inside the chain that counts. I actually thoroughly clean the outside with a rag soaked with mineral spirits when I lube and/or just wipe down the chain.

Now if you soak the chain w/ WD40 or something like mineral spirits, letting it drip through and getting gunk out from inside the chain, yes, re-lube-ing would be in order. But I wouldn't bother after a wipe-down, you'll be negating your efforts.

·
Registered
728 Posts
It's so tenacious that it's like super glue oil.

It is just a heavy weight oil, that's all it is. People will always be suckers for advertising hype.

Don't forget to pick up some carbon frame wax on your way home tonight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.