Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
QUiTSPiNiNArOuND said:
Via Johan Bruyneel. Guess he didn't get the memo that Taylor will announce this in a couple hours. Nice to see Taylor go pro.
Yes it is and nice to see him switch teams.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
I'm glad that Taylor went this route, as BMC is more "development minded" than Radio Shack is. Despite all that he's accomplished, he's still very yound and needs time to mature and find his way.

With Ben King going to Radio Shack, I'm glad that both riders found slots on American-based teams. Trek-Livestrong could be a valuable pipeline for developing talent in the future for these and other squads, so hopefully the program will continue.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Alaska Mike said:
I'm glad that Taylor went this route, as BMC is more "development minded" than Radio Shack is. Despite all that he's accomplished, he's still very yound and needs time to mature and find his way.

With Ben King going to Radio Shack, I'm glad that both riders found slots on American-based teams. Trek-Livestrong could be a valuable pipeline for developing talent in the future for these and other squads, so hopefully the program will continue.

I seriously doubt that it will continue.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
Setting aside the Lance connection, a well-funded development program is a boon for the American cycling scene. If Livestrong backs out because of Lance's "issues", hopefully Trek will see the value in it and continue as sponsor.

Putting our best and brightest in the right position to maximize their potential (right camps, right races, right connections...) is much more effective than having them scattered across countless under-funded teams- especially for a fringe sport in a weak economy.

·
LA CHEVRE
2,475 Posts
Apparently, one of the reasons to go with BMC and not Radio Shack was a longer contract, Radio Shack only offers 1 year deals, probably because it's a done thing that they will stop after 2011.

I think Lance is (or soon to be at least) not in a position to bad-mouth anyone anymore, except Floyd of course but he has hired lawyers to do the bad-mouthing for him...

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I guess Trek Livestrong really screwed him up huh! Wait, no, he's a national champion now. Wait, TLStrong has BOTH US national champs! Guess TLStrong wasnt as evil as everyone thinks.
That Armstrong guy is pure evil. He is so bad for US cycling.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Alaska Mike said:
Setting aside the Lance connection, a well-funded development program is a boon for the American cycling scene. If Livestrong backs out because of Lance's "issues", hopefully Trek will see the value in it and continue as sponsor.

Putting our best and brightest in the right position to maximize their potential (right camps, right races, right connections...) is much more effective than having them scattered across countless under-funded teams- especially for a fringe sport in a weak economy.
Excellent post. Completely agree.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
rubbersoul said:
Smart move to transfer to BMC
Indeed. And not necessarily a rocket science decision for the kid: (i) Ben King already at Radioshack for next year; (ii) BMC gives him a longer contract than Radio; (iii) at BMC he doesn't have to fetch water for an over-crowded field of emerging or current stars such as at Garmin (Hesjedal, Martin, Farrar, Hushovd, Haussler), but rather just Cadel (sorry, I don't put an aging Hincapie (as terrific a rider as he is) or a lackluster Ballan into the rising star or current star bucket); and (iv) BMC still has strong US ties (U.S. manager in Och). All in all, Phinney has a better chance to distinguish himself at BMC -- I think moreso than he would have had at Radio, Garmin, or Team Mystery (Schleck Bros) -- yet be mentored by guys like Och and Hincapie.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
rubbersoul said:
Smart move to transfer to BMC
I don't know what other offers he had but there seems more than a reasonable chance Ochowitz won't emerge from the whole Landis/Armstrong affair unscathed.

Then again, I'm not sure what his position is. Does he own the team, run the team, or what?

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
Alaska Mike said:

Uh? RS has a U23 team. BMC has what for development?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yep, good news. As was noted, at BMC he's not going to be stuck as the 6th or 7th GC option, riding tempo for the next 5 years.

It'll be fun to see him mix it up at the Ronde and PR. Who knows, maybe a Giro start next Spring that gets his feet wet in a grand tour?

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
Mootsie said:
Uh? RS has a U23 team. BMC has what for development?
BMC has like 2 U23 riders, but Phinney is a bit past the U23 stage. He's ready for the show, but he's not ready to be the show. BMC has a lot of talented younger riders to balance out the veterans, while Radio Shack has a lot of guys over 30.

It just looks more like Och is setting up shop for the long term, and the lower pressure of being on a Continental Team (a rather elite one, at that) vs a Grand Tour-focused Pro Tour team. Phinney still needs to figure out who he is as a rider.

If Lance is blowing him off, it's sadly very much in character.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Typical. LA only wants puppets for his team. Now that the ammo on Contador has gotten tired and old, he needs someone new to blame.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts